Unwanted upgrades?

karlsselindh

I'm new to Princess and couldn't find an answer to this question. I've read that Princess can "upgrade" or move your cabin, unless you've specified "no upgrade" in your reservation.

We booked a specific Emerald mini-suite, which has a covered balcony and is on the starboard side, for an Alaska cruise. Our TA never mentioned anything about specifying "no upgrade." Would Princess ever move or upgrade us, without our consent? I would hate to be "upgraded" to a Dophin mini-suite with open balcony, even though on paper it would be an upgrade. Also, I would not want to be moved to a port side cabin.

Thanks in advance for any information.....

You do need to contact your TA and have him/her mark your cabin as "do not upgrade" to be on the safe side.

It is very easy and removes any chance of being disappointed.

Mike:)

in the terms & conditions it states even tho you dont wish to accept a complimentary upgrade if one became available they can still move you due to operational reasons, might be very unlikely but it can happen

I'M always surprised wen people ask questions like this here when they will get the best answer from their TA or Princess itself

Isn't that what CC is all about? To ask questions and get help? I am new to Princess and actually wondered the same thing. On Other lines you can do this online.

I'm always surprised when someone posts a goofy comment. . Like yours

I'M always surprised wen people ask questions like this here when they will get the best answer from their TA or Princess itself

I think Cruise Critic is a better place to ask these questions. If you call a TA or the cruise line, you will sometimes get the wrong answer and act on that wrong answer.

On Cruise Critic, if you get an bad answer, the group will correct it.

Strange answer. Yes you could call Princess but then how would the rest of us know the answer. Guess we need a list of approved questions.

On our last cruise, we had our booking marked "no Upgrade" as we always do, In the past when Princess wanted to upgrade us, they would contact our TA, and she would call us, to accept or decline the offer. On this occasion, Princess contacted no one! They just notified TA of the move. We had booked the first day the cruise booking opened. We had an aft balcony overlooking the wake.

We were most upset, it was a great upgrade, but we did not want it! Had a few words with our TA....she did get us our original cabin back, but it took a big fuss.

As someone earlier pointed out, in the contracts we sign, they can and will move you if it suits them. In 43 cruises with Princess this is the first time they have ever done that. But it did sure tell us we must keep on top of our booking.

I'm glad people post questions and others take time to answer. This was how I learned A LOT when I first started cruising. Many were questions I never thought of but was glad to learn.

I was also intimidated for a long time from asking questions because of rude comments. Everyone starts out as a newbie at one time. While many of us have bee here a long time and things might seem like common knowledge it's not for someone new to cruising or a particular cruise line. Let's try to be kind.

We booked a specific Emerald mini-suite, which has a covered balcony and is on the starboard side, for an Alaska cruise. Our TA never mentioned anything about specifying "no upgrade." Would Princess ever move or upgrade us, without our consent?

Yes, it does happen. And I even indicated that I would only want an upgrade from a mini-suite to a full suite, and did not want a "category upgrade". Still, I was moved from an "ME" covered mini on Emerald to an "MB" on Dolphin. Before calling to get my original cabin back, I had a "family meeting" at dinner to see how everyone felt about moving from a covered to an uncovered balcony on an Alaskan cruise. To my surprise, my wife and daughter were strongly in favor of the uncovered balcony closer to mid-ship with unobstructed views of the world around us. So I kept the upgrade.

As for port vs. starboard on an Alaskan cruise, I think the difference is way overplayed. Especially if you are on an Inside Passage cruise. While it is true that cruises that sail to the west of Vancouver Island have a "preferred" side, cruises that pass through the straits on the east side of Vancouver Island have no "bad" side. And on Glacier Bay day, you go in and out of the same channel, so whatever was on the port going in is on the starboard going out, and vice versa. So it truly is six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Archived