ATM network in Europe?

NoWhiners

In a moment of desperation, you can always get a small advance of local currency from the Front Desk. We got $100 in Euros before our first port, just to get us started, and then later found an ATM with Cirrus. Just an idea - particularly if you don't plan on spending a lot in any given country.

Basically, if you use your Bank of America ATM card in an ATM of most banks belonging to the Global Alliance, you should pay lower fees than if you use the card in a non-Global Alliance ATM.

More information here.

Thanks globaliser, this was interesting. I noted that Greece, Turkey, Ukraine, Romania and Bulgaria, all the countries we will be visiting aren't listed as BOA associated ATMs. Maybe that means we would have to use a non-BOA ATM and pay additional fees.

In a moment of desperation, you can always get a small advance of local currency from the Front Desk. We got $100 in Euros before our first port, just to get us started, and then later found an ATM with Cirrus. Just an idea - particularly if you don't plan on spending a lot in any given country.

VictOriann

Yes, a good idea. We will have quite a few Euro's and Turkish Lira with us already, I am just trying to be sure we have a backup plan when in port. I need to go check into the good ideas posted here...

Thanks

ML

Good advice here about which cards and accounts to use, however, my concern is about how and where you will actually USE the card to get local currency.

I speak from personal experience. Here in the US we all know where to find our ATMs and what signage to look for. Not so easy in Europe. ATM signs can be unfamiliar and not always easy to spot. They may be inside a bank entrance or building lobby, and you will pass by without realizing. In Cologne the map shows one near the cathedral. Passersby and guides will direct you (?) to it and still it will be invisible to the tourist. You will waste sightseeing time hunting for an ATM.

Another problem will be parking. Your tour guide might know where an ATM is located but parking problems and traffic might cause you to miss stopping. Also, consider others on your tours who might not appreciate having to spend time waiting while your hunt for and use the ATM.

Best wishes for a wonderful cruise. With all your efforts to prepare I'm sure any glitches will be few and very minor.

Good advice here about which cards and accounts to use, however, my concern is about how and where you will actually USE the card to get local currency.

I speak from personal experience. Here in the US we all know where to find our ATMs and what signage to look for. Not so easy in Europe. ATM signs can be unfamiliar and not always easy to spot. They may be inside a bank entrance or building lobby, and you will pass by without realizing. In Cologne the map shows one near the cathedral. Passersby and guides will direct you (?) to it and still it will be invisible to the tourist. You will waste sightseeing time hunting for an ATM.

Another problem will be parking. Your tour guide might know where an ATM is located but parking problems and traffic might cause you to miss stopping. Also, consider others on your tours who might not appreciate having to spend time waiting while your hunt for and use the ATM.

Best wishes for a wonderful cruise. With all your efforts to prepare I'm sure any glitches will be few and very minor.

another set of very good points! We would never slow down a tour--which is why we are bringing a bunch of local currency with us. i am mostly thinking about Athens and Istanbul--both places we will spend extra time in and may need to make an ATM stop.

Thanks for the heads up!

ML

I used an ATM in Athens and had no problem - can't recall where I found it though. In Istanbul they will take Euros, at least they did 18 months ago other than the tram which you have to purchase from a machine using Turkish lira. Since we didn't need many liras, we used our euros in a Money Changing store to get a few lira. When you are buying something, just tell them that you want it in lira. Hope this helps.

I haven't really looked (or used) carefully at ATM keyboards while traveling but I remember from a few years ago that we encountered one in Hong Kong that did not have the letters corresponding to the numbers (e.g. ABC for 2). My partner had a hard time figuring out the numeric equivalent of the alphabetic PIN he used in the US.

I haven't really looked (or used) carefully at ATM keyboards while traveling but I remember from a few years ago that we encountered one in Hong Kong that did not have the letters corresponding to the numbers (e.g. ABC for 2). My partner had a hard time figuring out the numeric equivalent of the alphabetic PIN he used in the US.
There's a reason why it's called a Personal Identification Number!

There's another bear trap in Hong Kong. Many (possibly all) PIN pads are laid out calculator style, not telephone style. This can catch people out if they're not looking at the PIN pad when they're entering their PINs.

Archived