It's a balcony

pickle11

What is going on with Alaskan cruise prices. A month ago I started pricing cruises. Interior rates were good and balcony rates average. I booked an IX on the Sun knowing I was going to get good value. Then bam! Price drop. NCL takes care on me plus OBC. :) The next week I get my cabin and I get a family inside for two.:):). Happy camper. What happens today, another price drop. Guess what? I upgraded to a BX. :D So much for value. But anytime you can cruise to Alaska for less than $100 a day you have to go for the balcony and still get value. And who cares about what side. I'm cruising to Alaska in a balcony. Thank you CC for all the wonderful threads and information.

BTW I booked a B2B with another IX. Maybe I can play this game again:rolleyes:

What is going on with Alaskan cruise prices. A month ago I started pricing cruises. Interior rates were good and balcony rates average. I booked an IX on the Sun knowing I was going to get good value. Then bam! Price drop. NCL takes care on me plus OBC. :) The next week I get my cabin and I get a family inside for two.:):). Happy camper. What happens today, another price drop. Guess what? I upgraded to a BX. :D So much for value. But anytime you can cruise to Alaska for less than $100 a day you have to go for the balcony and still get value. And who cares about what side. I'm cruising to Alaska in a balcony. Thank you CC for all the wonderful threads and information.

BTW I booked a B2B with another IX. Maybe I can play this game again:rolleyes:

Congrats and enjoy your cruise:)

My PCC said that she was surprised with the price drops this year and thought it might have something to do with NCL now having 3 ships in Alaska this season. They've only had 2 ships in the past.

I actually did the same dance myself for my June 2012 sailing. I started in an inside GTY, bumped up to an oceanview GTY when the price first dropped, and then shortly before the sailing hopped up to a balcony for only $400 more. And to my surprise we got a lot of use out of the balcony despite it being on the cooler side.

And who cares about what side.

Yes, side really does not matter. Both have their pluses and minuses. A lot of folks want eastward facing side but the higher mountains are a) usually cloud covered and b) often blocked by foothills that look the same as the westward side. Otherwise view is almost identical either way except for crossing the Gulf to Seward.

We've been on the Star out of Seattle to Alaska. The bests view ever are from an aft suite. Unbelievable when the ship turns around at the glacier. Awesome.

Would do this again in a second. Have a wonderful trip!:D

ANYTIME I can get to Alaska, no matter the cabin, I am ecstatic! Some have told me 'around the Horn' in South America is even more beautiful. I will believe it when I see it. Till then, Alaska is my 'caribbean', I will go whenever I can manage it. And I am again in June! :)

Enjoy yours;

Doug

So much waiting. Got my cabin assignment. Port side, midship. Close to elevators.:D. Just down the hall from my former inside. Cruise is just 17 days away. Hopefully I can do the same upgrade for the southbound trip. That cruise just 24 days away. And checking various websites there are over 30 balcony cabins still available. Maybe more price drops.:rolleyes:

Archived