An extra day in Fairbanks

flwaterlover

I'm flying in to Fairbanks the day before my tour/cruise starts. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I might do on my free day?

We'll be doing the gold dredge, a stop at the pipeline, a stern wheeler trip on the river and dinner @ Pioneer Park as part of the tour, so I'm looking for other ideas.

Thanks!

We are arriving 2 days before I have my itinerary planner in here somewhere take a look at that. Search for 'Trip planner'. We have chena hotsprings, gold dredge 8, auto antique museum and the the one in the campus as our to - do's.

I'm flying in to Fairbanks the day before my tour/cruise starts. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I might do on my free day?

We'll be doing the gold dredge, a stop at the pipeline, a stern wheeler trip on the river and dinner @ Pioneer Park as part of the tour, so I'm looking for other ideas.

Thanks!

We are arriving 2 days before I have my itinerary planner in here somewhere take a look at that. Search for 'Trip planner'. We have chena hotsprings, gold dredge 8, auto antique museum and the the one in the campus as our to - do's.

Same for us

we are going to have 2 full days before our flight out in the middle of the night. Chena hot springs via rental car-- maybe a float trip on the river. Pioneer Park. Ice Museum. Drive to the North Pole (city).

below is what I cut & pasted to my notes to give me ideas of what we might do

Large Animal Research Station

Ice Museum

http://www.chenahotsprings.com/ice-museum-renewables/

North Pole

Riverboat Discovery tour http://www.riverboatdiscovery.com/alaska/default.asp?s_id=1

City of Gold Adventure

http://www.princesslodges.com/fairbanks-city-of-gold.htm

El Dorado Gold Mine Online http://www.eldoradogoldmine.com/BookNowEGM.aspx

Dates of Operation

For the 2013 season we will be closed for tours at the El Dorado Gold Mine. We are currently transferring our tour operation to the Gold Dredge 8 location at 1803 Old Steese Hwy North. Please call us for additional tour information.

Rates (Gold Dredge 8 Tour; 2013 Season)

Adult Rates: $39.95

Child Rates (3-12): $24.95

Infants under 3: FREE

Reservations Email requests, or call toll-free to make reservations.

Gold Dredge 8

1803 Old Steese Hwy North

Fox, AK 99712

reservations@golddredge8.com

Telephone: 907-479-6673 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 907-479-6673 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Toll Free: 1-866-479-6673 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-866-479-6673 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Fax: 907-479-4613

Ice Museum 10a-8p $11. 907-451-8222 500 2nd Avenue, Fairbanks,

Large Animal Research Station($2.50pp) fairbanks-alaska.com/large-animal-research.htm (907) 474-7207, or 474-7945; 11am for guided tour ?Dog Sled Kennel($20pp;w/ride$30pp) http://www.mosquitonet.com/~sleddog/page4.html

Pioneer Park-Fairbanks

More Places to consider in Fairbanks. Uni Museum, botanical gardens, raindeer farm, Creamer's Field. Public Lands museum. etc etc

http://www.chenahotsprings.com/summer-activities/

Creamer's Field Migratory Waterfowl Refuge

If you have children/grandchildren a post card from the North Pole is a must.

Fairbanks U museum,

large animal research tour,

botanical garden,

reindeer farm.

Downtown,

Ice Museum,

Public Lands museum,

Pioneer Park.

Creamers field etc. hiking and bird watching.

Pipeline exhibit on the Steese.

In my opinion a car is necessary, unless you are doing one of the Arctic day trips etc.

Chena Hot Springs, is a WINTER highlight. It's a pretty dull long, desolate drive there, funky odors, costly swimming, and you better have an old swim suit since there's a change of some funky color changes. I have days in Fairbanks, and this area is not worth my time. :) (the former owners did a far better job

Find out about what is available in Fairbanks http://www.explorefairbanks.com

In my opinion a car is necessary, unless you are doing one of the Arctic day trips etc.

Chena Hot Springs, is a WINTER highlight. It's a pretty dull long, desolate drive there, funky odors, costly swimming, and you better have an old swim suit since there's a change of some funky color changes. I have days in Fairbanks, and this area is not worth my time. :) (the former owners did a far better job

Find out about what is available in Fairbanks www.explorefairbanks.com

good to know!! can cross that one off the list :)

Here is what it is narrowing down to for us-- I have to call & find out hours for the weekend though as both days will be weekend days

Day #1

Full day float/fishing trip

Day #2

River boat cruise

Gold Dredge

+Alaska Pipeline

+North Pole

+Ice Museum (the one at Chena hot springs looked nice- last time we went to one in town-- not sure if that exists still)

+Animal Research station

+Pioneer Park

Dog Sled Kennel

+University of Fiarbanks Museum

Creamers Field

Botanical Garden

+ are the ones I think we want to do most

I have too many things for one day I think...... might need to see about doing a couple the evening of float trip or just crossing them off the list :)

Here is what it is narrowing down to for us-- I have to call & find out hours for the weekend though as both days will be weekend days

Day #1

Day #2

River boat cruise

Gold Dredge

+Alaska Pipeline

+North Pole

+Ice Museum (the one at Chena hot springs looked nice- last time we went to one in town-- not sure if that exists still)

+Animal Research station

+Pioneer Park

Dog Sled Kennel

Creamers Field

Botanical Garden

I have too many things for one day I think...... might need to see about doing a couple the evening of float trip or just crossing them off the list :)

I can not even imagine how "exciting" a Chena River float trip would be, having walked and stayed in campgrounds along side it, I would never even consider it. Especially if you are doing the paddle wheeler. It isn't really known for fishing either. (if this is the area you are considering?) FAR better location is on the Nenana outside of Denali Park. Why not just it there, IF you have, or can make time. Fishing is good out of Talkeenta, Seward, Homer, and even Anchorage are overall better areas. Maybe, look at adjusting some areas?

A lot of your list is short stops, so IF you can route out and follow a map and not waste time getting lost, would occupy most of your day.

I can not even imagine how "exciting" a Chena River float trip would be, having walked and stayed in campgrounds along side it, I would never even consider it. Especially if you are doing the paddle wheeler. It isn't really known for fishing either. (if this is the area you are considering?) FAR better location is on the Nenana outside of Denali Park. Why not just it there, IF you have, or can make time. Fishing is good out of Talkeenta, Seward, Homer, and even Anchorage are overall better areas. Maybe, look at adjusting some areas?

A lot of your list is short stops, so IF you can route out and follow a map and not waste time getting lost, would occupy most of your day.

The kids wanted to do a float/fishing trip. Our only options presently are:

Fairbanks

Denali- staying at McKinley Chalet

Alyeska

we can just pass and do something else- but if I fit it in somewhere that would be great.

We did a fishing trip out of Talkeetna a few years ago when staying at Mckinley Princess lodge.

Denali- I have nothing planned for 2nd day if we do the TWT on the 1st day .

here is what I found re fairbanks fishing

The fishing at that time is at its peak. fishing for arctic grayling and king and chum salmon should be observed already in the river for their annual spawning migration up the Yukon River. You will get a great wild life viewing opportunity with very good chances to see moose, bald eagle, beaver, mink, bear, marganser, trompeter swans, and many other local wildlife.

[quote=tamsocal;38253713

Denali- I have nothing planned for 2nd day if we do the TWT on the 1st day .

I already posted, with you claiming you are leaving from Anchorage by train, you are NOT taking any TWT at 1pm like you posted. You will not arrive until 4pm. So, is it already scheduled your next day and you do not have the time you think you do?

Doing the float trip you day of arrival would be my suggestion.

I already posted, with you claiming you are leaving from Anchorage by train, you are NOT taking any TWT at 1pm like you posted. You will not arrive until 4pm. So, is it already scheduled your next day and you do not have the time you think you do?

Doing the float trip you day of arrival would be my suggestion.

so at 4pm? day of arrival-- I didnt realize any trips would be offered this late- will look into this

we have 48hrs in denali 4pm to 4pm 2 days later. TWT am after arrival

Day #1

Day #2

River boat cruise

Gold Dredge

+Alaska Pipeline

+North Pole

+Animal Research station

+Pioneer Park

Dog Sled Kennel

Creamers Field

Botanical Garden

You left out the car museum -

http://www.fountainheadmuseum.com/

It is hard to imagine a world class car museum in Fairbanks but it is there. We went there late in the day because we had some time to kill. It was so great that we went back the next day and spent half a day there. Then, when I returned to Fairbanks in the winter for the ice festival and for aurora photography, I returned for a 3d time. A really neat thing about the place is that the owners wife is into period clothing so there are mannequins clothed in appropriate clothing next to the cars so the place appeals to car nuts and period clothing nuts.

Don't miss it.

DON

You left out the car museum -

http://www.fountainheadmuseum.com/

It is hard to imagine a world class car museum in Fairbanks but it is there. We went there late in the day because we had some time to kill. It was so great that we went back the next day and spent half a day there. Then, when I returned to Fairbanks in the winter for the ice festival and for aurora photography, I returned for a 3d time. A really neat thing about the place is that the owners wife is into period clothing so there are mannequins clothed in appropriate clothing next to the cars so the place appeals to car nuts and period clothing nuts.

Don't miss it.

DON

thanks

Ill add it to the list :)

if we forego float trip in fairbanks- we will have plenty of time

will also add Heavy Horse Farm for pony rides if we have an extra day :)

so at 4pm? day of arrival-- I didnt realize any trips would be offered this late- will look into this

we have 48hrs in denali 4pm to 4pm 2 days later. TWT am after arrival

Yes, depending on the date they do run evening trips (at least did so in the past).

Yes, depending on the date they do run evening trips (at least did so in the past).

Found a few for 6pm. 2 hr float trip, should work out if space available. They all seem to to the same thing for the most part.

Thanks

Found a few for 6pm. 2 hr float trip, should work out if space available. They all seem to to the same thing for the most part.

Thanks

There are different tours to consider, with the float trips the most tame and doable for most everyone. Should also be white water options as well, which is more exciting.

There are different tours to consider, with the float trips the most tame and doable for most everyone. Should also be white water options as well, which is more exciting.

The five year olds limit tour options from what I have found so far. Was the reason I did the raft trip on my own last time to Denali and the 3 year old stayed with DH. I have only found 2 hour tours that do a 12-13 mile run over class 1-2

The five year olds limit tour options from what I have found so far. Was the reason I did the raft trip on my own last time to Denali and the 3 year old stayed with DH. I have only found 2 hour tours that do a 12-13 mile run over class 1-2

With your overall plans, this sounds like a great option, and an excellent use of your time.

Archived