Help with port schedule?

Trying to adjust to how a new line does things.

On NCL.com it says we arrive in Cozumel at 8:00 a.m. (coming from New Orleans, so I assume this is Central time). I think Cozumel is also Central Time Zone, so ship/shore time shouldn't be an issue.

NCL.com also says "Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking."

Does this mean we don't get off the ship in Cozumel until 10:00 (so I shouldn't schedule an excursion until 10:30...)

Based on my experience on other ships (Carnival), that seems really late to leave the ship.

Is that right?

The Depart time is 5:00, so back on board would be 3:00. Meaning the total port time is just 5 hours?

I'd really like to schedule a scuba dive (NCL doesn't offer an dive excursion for Cozumel) but most leave at 8:30 or 9:00.

the 2 hour reference isn't for the ports. you will be allowed off the ship as soon as it clears and the gangway is down. for returning, there will be a sign on the gangway with the times. usually 30 mins before departure. except for belize where the last tender is an hour before actual departure. (again, they will have signs at gangway and in the daily papers)

If you tell the excursion folk what ship you are on and what day, they will know the schedule. They deal with this all of the time. They will wait. They want your money. And, you do not need to push through the crowd waiting to get off. And oh, all times on NCL are LOCAL times. It makes things so much easier.

If you tell the excursion folk what ship you are on and what day, they will know the schedule. They deal with this all of the time. They will wait.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure this is true for SCUBA diving. There are a couple operations that seem to cater to cruise ships, but many just have their schedule dive times, and their boat leaves at X. I'm new to that world, so I'm not too sure. I think if the 2 hour thing doesn't apply to port of calls, then I can schedule at dive at 9, but 8:30 might be too early- since we have to taxi to the dive shop.

But for the most part, I have found your statement to be true of independent excursions.

the tour vendors will know the ship's schedule better then the ship does LOL. they deal with it every day. in Cozumel it's easy, just walk off, down the dock to the street. there's a taxi stand right there. even if there is a line, it doesn't take long to get a taxi.

the tour vendors will know the ship's schedule better then the ship does LOL. they deal with it every day. in Cozumel it's easy, just walk off, down the dock to the street. there's a taxi stand right there. even if there is a line, it doesn't take long to get a taxi.

Yeah- we've been to Cozumel before and I know it is easy. Still, I don't think getting off the ship at 8 leaves me time to get to a dive shop for an 8:30 dive. Like I said, the ones I'm looking at aren't catering to cruisers. Unfortunately, NCL doesn't offer an excursion either.

I'm just glad to know the disembarkation comment was only for the home port!

The 2 Hour Rule is for Embarkation Only- In New Orleans. You need to be on board 2 Hours Prior to sailing.

The clocks on the ships are set to local time, sometimes however they are set to military time (right now in Central Time in would be 1108).

In port, you can leave the ship as soon as it clears the local authorities usually 1/2 or so. You will need to be on board about 1/2 hour prior to the scheduled time. The Freestyle will give exact instructions at each port of call.

The clocks on the ships are set to local time, sometimes however they are set to military time (right now in Central Time in would be 1108).

Nice to know NCL changes time to local time! On this cruise, I'm not sure if we'll ever change time zones.

24-hour time is no problem, I'm used to that.

Since your cruise is not until December, I doubt all of the excursions are listed yet. There very well might be a dive excursion for Cozumel at a later date.

That makes sense - thanks.

We ended up booking a private, we found someone who adjusts her schedule when cruisers reserve (but normally goes out at 7:30-8:00 and doesn't advertise the availability of a schedule change...)

Archived