Wedding anniversary whilst on board

Pjran

It was my 50th birthday a week after our last cruise and despite telling TA and being asked which day we wanted to celebrate it I got nothing. It will be my husband's 70th the day after we leave QM2 in August and my dad's 78th while we are on the ship but I am expecting nothing.

A friend celebrated his 70th birthday on the QM2 last year. At dinner he was presented with a cake and a card signed by the captain and several officers. As he was in PG there was no singing by the wait staff for which he was relieved.

Not that I'm entitled to anything at all, is this a common thing on cruise liners? I'm used to 5 star hotels providing complimentary champagne for special occasions. Is this the case with most cruise operators? If so why do you think Cunard omit such gratuities?

An industry insider who periodically posts on the boards claims that about half of all passengers claim to be celebrating something and thus hope for a complimentary amenity. (Of course it's hard to lie about a milestone birthday since that information is in the booking system.)

An industry insider who periodically posts on the boards claims that about half of all passengers claim to be celebrating something and thus hope for a complimentary amenity. (Of course it's hard to lie about a milestone birthday since that information is in the booking system.)

Yes I'm sure people do this. And producing a marriage certificate and wedding photos onboard is a bit crass! It would be like being at the US embassy all over again!!!

And producing a marriage certificate and wedding photos onboard is a bit crass!

My passport is in my maiden name, but I book in my married name and often have to show my marriage certificate to count for the discrepancy. I've never thought it was crass. That said, how would your wedding photos prove the date of your wedding? I leave mine at home.

My passport is in my maiden name, but I book in my married name and often have to show my marriage certificate to count for the discrepancy. I've never thought it was crass. That said, how would your wedding photos prove the date of your wedding? I leave mine at home.

It was a joke about all the rigmarole at the embassy to prove people are married by bringing wedding photos and invites and things. In fact we didn't need any of that. The Consular guy just asked us the date of our anniversary and we both got it wrong!!! He thought it was 'cute' and said the fact we didn't eat mad at each proved we were married!!!

It was a joke about all the rigmarole at the embassy to prove people are married by bringing wedding photos and invites and things. In fact we didn't need any of that. The Consular guy just asked us the date of our anniversary and we both got it wrong!!! He thought it was 'cute' and said the fact we didn't eat mad at each proved we were married!!!

We are cruising in July and my husband will be celebrating his birthday while on board. Our 59th anniversary is in June and my Very Big Birthday is in August...that's why we're taking the cruise.

We plan to celebrate all 3. We haven't heard from our TA since we paid up, so I wouldn't count on him. Whom do you think we should notify?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are cruising in July and my husband will be celebrating his birthday while on board. Our 59th anniversary is in June and my Very Big Birthday is in August...that's why we're taking the cruise.

We plan to celebrate all 3. We haven't heard from our TA since we paid up, so I wouldn't count on him. Whom do you think we should notify?..

You should ask your TA to pre-order a birthday cake if that's what you want. See page 3 of the Gifts brochure here: http://www.cunard.com/Documents/Gifts%20and%20Special%20Occassions/Gifts_Brochure.pdf Though I've not ordered a cake I've read that those doing to will receive a birthday card signed by the captain. (Not everybody wants their birthday celebrated in a public manner. I for one would not want a chorus of singing waiters! If this is the last thing you want make sure the staff knows.)

For wedding anniversaries one can arrange for vow renewal. http://www.cunard.com/Documents/Brochures/Cunard_ROV.pdf

• 5 weeks later...

When we were onboard the QM2 several cruises ago we participated in the Marriage Renewal Ceremony and it was a beautiful experience.

There were about 50+ couples dressed formally on a non-formal day in the Queens Room. The rest of the room was packed with relatives and other passengers.

After the ceremony, each couple received a comp photo delivered to their cabin as a memory picture of the event. Champagne was served to each couple. Other drinks were available at a surcharge.

Those of greater levels like 40, 50, 60 etc. anniversaries were recognized. My parents were one of the couple in the 60+ year married.

This was done on a cruise that was greater than 10 days sailing.

We plan to celebrate all 3. We haven't heard from our TA since we paid up, so I wouldn't count on him. Whom do you think we should notify?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

WOW! Congrats on your love affair of 59 years! I don't think you need to notify anyone - just enjoy your anniversary, and your birthdays in your own way. You made it this far together - just keep on going! Best wishes, (and if you don't mind my saying - blessings upon you both). Cheers, Salacia