Transiting Seymour Narrows

cutetrill

Putterdude, We're on a SB arriving Vancouver on June 15 and also returning NB on the same day.

What's your best guess as to the time we will be travelling through the Narrows?

Thanks!

Southbound on 6/14 sometime around 10:00 PM northbound on 6/15 likely about midnight.

So the Sun departs at 4:00PM- NB and the next slack is 8:45 PM if I read the chart correctly; will we take our time getting there and then sail on through? I understand the narrows are about a 2 hour trip from Vancouver.

The distance from Vancouver to the Narrows is 90 miles so it is closer to a 5 to 6 hour trip.

what about me Putterdude :D

is there a seymour narrows book for dummies?

7/14 northbound statendam

:)

If you Google "Seymour Narrows" you will find a lot of information about the narrows. After that it really is a matter of reading the tide and current predictions links to which have been provided on previous posts. Northbound on 7/14 I think that they will rush to reach the narrows before 11 PM....we will watch you racing by our front door.:)

If you Google "Seymour Narrows" you will find a lot of information about the narrows. After that it really is a matter of reading the tide and current predictions links to which have been provided on previous posts. Northbound on 7/14 I think that they will rush to reach the narrows before 11 PM....we will watch you racing by our front door.:)

the captains post was interesting too

looks like slack tide is 1024 do the ships try to enter right at the slack time or a little before and a little after so that way they avoid the peak?

sunset is at 9:26-- how long will twilight last-- ?

what is the quickest they ever can make it to the narrows- is 9pm the earliest? I guess it varies ship by ship.... 90 miles-- ~5 hrs

what is the quickest they ever can make it to the narrows- is 9pm the earliest? I guess it varies ship by ship.... 90 miles-- ~5 hrs

From Vancouver to Seymour Narrows is about 90 miles. A cruise ship from the time it pushes away from the pier in Vancouver about 5 pm because of wake considerations will average less than 15 knots or 17.3 mph so yes it is a 5 and closer to 6 hour trip. If the tide is not right in the narrows then they will take even longer as there is no point in rushing. HAL for instance has been known to turn at north at Pt. Atkinson, enter Howe Sound and go around some of the islands then re-enter Georgia Strait at Gower Point (about 20 minutes east of my home) just to kill time.

HAL for instance has been known to turn at north at Pt. Atkinson, enter Howe Sound and go around some of the islands then re-enter Georgia Strait at Gower Point (about 20 minutes east of my home) just to kill time.

Huh... the things you learn. I never knew they did that on occassion.

Huh... the things you learn. I never knew they did that on occassion.

To my knowledge they are the only line that does that but since the Concordia disaster have been less likely to do so....much like using Grenville Channel now seems to be largely off the radar.

How much longer does it take to get to Robson Bight if traveling NB? Sailing on the Norwegian Sun in 11 days.:) Will there be enough light to spot Orcas?:rolleyes:

Robson Bight is about 60 miles above the Narrows and no, it is not likely to be light enough for you to spot any Orcas that may be in the vicinity.

From Vancouver to Seymour Narrows is about 90 miles. A cruise ship from the time it pushes away from the pier in Vancouver about 5 pm because of wake considerations will average less than 15 knots or 17.3 mph so yes it is a 5 and closer to 6 hour trip. If the tide is not right in the narrows then they will take even longer as there is no point in rushing. HAL for instance has been known to turn at north at Pt. Atkinson, enter Howe Sound and go around some of the islands then re-enter Georgia Strait at Gower Point (about 20 minutes east of my home) just to kill time.

thanks!!!

Archived