Solo Cruise on the Allure - Any Advice?

I am not ususally one for the pre-cruise jitters, but it just hit me that it is two weeks until my sailing on the Allure of the Seas. I am a well-seasoned cruiser, but this time I am going solo on the biggest ship in the fleet.

I've pre-booked my shows and am sticking to ship sponsored shore tours as safety precaution since I am on my own. I'm thinking of trying a few of the specialty restaurants, but I am wondering if dining alone in those venues might be too awkward. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for the single cruiser?

(Please keep in mind, I am looking for a fun, relaxing vacation not a date!)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Darci :)

I did Allure solo last September and had a blast. I at in specialty restaurants every night, and never once felt at all awkward. I had wonderful meals, exceptional service, and never felt the least bit uncomfortable.

I'm doing Oasis solo this August and can't wait!

You have no reason to be uneasy, but it is understandable. If you are content to be on your own, as I am, then enjoy it! There is no better solo vacation than a cruise!

I got this Cruise Critic, so no one else respond. ;)

Wear a monocle and preface your first name with Duchess. It may not improve your cruise but they are great conversation starters.

LOL - Oddly enough I used to play a Duchess in the Renaissance Fair, so I might be able to carry that one off!

LOL - Oddly enough I used to play a Duchess in the Renaissance Fair, so I might be able to carry that one off!

It's not odd at all. I watched so much "The Menatlist", I know all the tricks. Seriously though, you are on the right path. Have a great trip!

Brig

Solo cruising is the best! I've got a couple live trip reports in my signature from my past solo cruises.

You'll have a great time, I've had such great times it's now my preferred method of cruising!

Happy solo cruising, please be sure to come back and tell us what a great time you had!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Def check out Kasascocoas review- I think that's the one that was linked above.

Get involved in team "sports"; trivia, quest etc, anywhere where you team up with other pax and play for key chains...you'll bond with folks. So many activities that lots of folks divide and conquer, so you can meet some ladies here and there who might be flow rider widows and chit chat.

I haven't done it solo, but in the specialties, I would imagine the staff will give you a little extra attention. I'd focus on Vintages, the officers like to dine there and cross table chatting is comfortable with light plates (no one is concentrating on a big meal). There is always entertainment in the evenings as a diversion, so you don't feel Awk not having anyone to talk to. Giovanni's outside might have the same feel. Ive heard from multiple people that Chops and 150 take 3 plus hours; a long time to look at the walls. ;). I'd recommend Ritas and ask for a communal table- but only do it for the party- the food is awful!

For relaxing the solarium is where it's at- very relaxing and chill vibe, the pool can get social, if everyone gets chatting. Same with the cantilevered hot tubs, if that's your thing.

Have fun! Bet you will love it!

It's interesting to see the replies: Join the team events, go to your roll call, meet people. That's great if it's what you're after. I cruise solo about once a year, to be on my own. As such, I have no interest in meeting people or making new friends (nothing against it, just not why I'm there). I only chime in with this because I don't want anyone to be dissuaded from solo cruising because they think they have to do these things to enjoy it.

I spend the week pretty much on my own, and I love it!

I've just been solo on the Explorer and had a fab time. I travel solo almost everywhere i go whether its a cruise or land based. I met with people at the Meet and Mingle, joined in with the game shows, went to watch the theatre shows and spent time on my own when I wanted.

You'll have a great time! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solo cruising is the best! I've got a couple live trip reports in my signature from my past solo cruises.

You'll have a great time, I've had such great times it's now my preferred method of cruising!

Happy solo cruising, please be sure to come back and tell us what a great time you had!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Thanks for the reassurance. I've solo cruised in the past and always enjoyed myself. I think it is just the size of the Allure that is leaving me a bit itimidated. I'm sure once I get onboard and start exploring my nerves will settle down.

I am not ususally one for the pre-cruise jitters, but it just hit me that it is two weeks until my sailing on the Allure of the Seas. I am a well-seasoned cruiser, but this time I am going solo on the biggest ship in the fleet.

I've pre-booked my shows and am sticking to ship sponsored shore tours as safety precaution since I am on my own. I'm thinking of trying a few of the specialty restaurants, but I am wondering if dining alone in those venues might be too awkward. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for the single cruiser?

(Please keep in mind, I am looking for a fun, relaxing vacation not a date!)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Darci :)

Did you join your roll call? It is a great way to meet people before the cruise!! Hope you have lots of fun on the Allure!!:):)

Did you join your roll call? It is a great way to meet people before the cruise!! Hope you have lots of fun on the Allure!!:):)

iagree.gif

- See if you can get assigned to a large table with no children in the MDR

- Don't hesitate to ask people if you can join them in the Windjammer or other restaurants. "Hit on" couples and say "Hi! I am by myself, May I join you?" (this allows you to pick a couple in your age group)

- Do what you want to do and enjoy yourself!

If all else fails, you can cover the cruise for us, here at Cruise Critic! As a roving reporter, you'll seek out the good, the bad, and the ugly and pack it all in a unique review like so many legends (Trainman, Familygoboston, KansCocoa, SailorJack just to name a few!) have done before, with their own inimitable twists!

No need to do it live - unless you want to, and none of us would complain!

It's not odd at all. I watched so much "The Menatlist", I know all the tricks. Seriously though, you are on the right path. Have a great trip! Brig

Brig,

Never believe anything an Aussie says whether on TV or in real life ;)

Lady Darci

Just pick someone up and have a good time . Life is too short to be playing Bingo etc . :D Have a go on the Surfrider, Rockwall , Skating etc.

But never believe anything an Aussie says .;)

Lady Darci - I cruise solo all the time. In fact I'll be on the Allure on June 2 and 9. I eat in the speciality restaurants and have found that the staff pays a little extra attention - I never felt awkward or alone. In the main dining room, I ask for a large table but at times I have asked for a single table - sometimes you just don't want to chat. But the ship is amazing and lots to do. Sign up for the meet and mingle and the roll call for your cruise - I have met some of the most amazing people that way - On a Transatlantic last year, I met quite a few single/solo cruises and we're meeting up again in Nov for another TA. I play trivia and ask to join a group - you will be amazed at how nice people are when they see you're alone. Just don't let them feel sorry for you - you can do what you want, when you want and answer to no one - not such a bad way to go. Enjoy.

I did my first solo vacation late this winter. I wanted to travel with friends or fam but we never had the same schedule. I has such a great experience with that trip that I am doing my first solo cruise this summer on the Oasis. I am in a helping profession so I don't always feel comfortable taking time for myself. I am doing something for me for a change.

I am nervous about not being able to just call a friend or family member if I am lonely or want to share my day. Part of the fun of travel is sharing that time with those you love.

I think I have solved this problem by budgeting for internet and looking into alternative ways of communication.

My last cruise I went with a group. However because I booked late, I had to eat solo in the MDR as they were unable to accommodate me at that table. It was horrible experience. I was reassigned to a different table with solo travelers and had a fab time once I was moved. I actually did not request the move but I guess they realized I was not happy.

I have never sailed with RCCL. Fellow solo travelers, do you select my time dinning?

Archived