• RCCL - Oasis of the Seas
    • RCCL - Allure of the Seas
    • RCCL - Freedom of the Seas
    • Celebrity - Sihouette
    • NCL - Dawn
    • NCL - Pearl
    • MSC - Divina

Hello,

We will be traveling with my parents ( 80yo), me and my husband (43 yo) and my 4 kids ages, 15, 13, 5 and 3. My parents are taking us but want me to do the research. They want to leave out of Florida and need to go over Xmas or NYE and want to do the Western Caribbean. I have found NCL (dawn or pearl) RCCL (Oasis of Seas, Freedom of Seas and Allure of Seas), Celebrity (Silhouette), MSC ( Divina) and HAL several ships. After much research I am finding it difficult to pick which one to do. Can't find much info on MSC but seems to be good, I can find good and bad stuff about each one.

So I am looking to see what you thinks is best for our family and any experiences you have had on any of these ships and why you think one is better than the other.

I have very active kids and love to have lots to do aside from the kids clubs stuff.

My parents are looking to have good entertainment on board.

With the 80yr parents I would select Holland America . HAL is a little more quieter than RCI or NCL. That said the kids might enjoy RCI more.

All the cruises will have their kids programs in full swing over

Xmas and NYE .

Hello,

We will be traveling with my parents ( 80yo), me and my husband (43 yo) and my 4 kids ages, 15, 13, 5 and 3. My parents are taking us but want me to do the research. They want to leave out of Florida and need to go over Xmas or NYE and want to do the Western Caribbean. I have found NCL (dawn or pearl) RCCL (Oasis of Seas, Freedom of Seas and Allure of Seas), Celebrity (Silhouette), MSC ( Divina) and HAL several ships. After much research I am finding it difficult to pick which one to do. Can't find much info on MSC but seems to be good, I can find good and bad stuff about each one.

So I am looking to see what you thinks is best for our family and any experiences you have had on any of these ships and why you think one is better than the other.

I have very active kids and love to have lots to do aside from the kids clubs stuff.

My parents are looking to have good entertainment on board.

Celebrity - Do not forget that Celebrity has free M&M's, Jellybeans and top quality Icecreams and sorbets

HAL seems to be an older ship and not as geared toward kids or families as the others are. My parents while not the most active are by far not what you would think of as 80. They don't mind noise as long as there are places to get away from it from time to time. We've done RCL so they are good. Thanks for your thoughts though.

Have you considered Princess?

No, I hadn't. I didn't see any to the western caribbean during Xmas/NYE timeframe this year. It also seems to be nice cruise line but not quite as many extras for the kids as some of the others.

But please if my view is wrong then please tell me your thoughts on Princess I would love to hear your experience with them.

Thank you for your time and input, it is appreciated.

With the 80yr parents I would select Holland America . HAL is a little more quieter than RCI or NCL.

While this is true, Royal Caribbean Freedom and Oasis class of ships are huge and it will not be difficult to find a place that is quieter.

Personally, if not for the sports/entertainments, etc. I'd much prefer a HAL ship - Signature or Vista class - very good value indeed when sailing in off season, especially when they have the 3rd/4th passenger free on selected sailing. For example, a 200 sq ft inside cabin is $1500 for 4 people for a 7-day Western Caribbean on the Eurodam. I doubt you can find that at Carnival. But it doesn't look like value/price is the OP's criteria.

While this is true, Royal Caribbean Freedom and Oasis class of ships are huge and it will not be difficult to find a place that is quieter.

Personally, if not for the sports/entertainments, etc. I'd much prefer a HAL ship - Signature or Vista class - very good value indeed when sailing in off season, especially when they have the 3rd/4th passenger free on selected sailing. For example, a 200 sq ft inside cabin is $1500 for 4 people for a 7-day Western Caribbean on the Eurodam. I doubt you can find that at Carnival. But it doesn't look like value/price is the OP's criteria.

We would not be sailing off season since cant take kids out of school really. My parents along with everyone want there to be as much for the kids to do as possible, in other words best ship for them. Price is def consideration but not much choice with where and when they want to go. HAL is not really geared towards kids as much as it toward older adults.

We would not be sailing off season since cant take kids out of school really. My parents along with everyone want there to be as much for the kids to do as possible, in other words best ship for them. Price is def consideration but not much choice with where and when they want to go. HAL is not really geared towards kids as much as it toward older adults.

We did HAL, RCI (Liberty of the Seas, which is pretty much the same as Freedom), and twice on Disney. My DS' favorite is Royal Caribbean, and his "dream cruise" is Oasis/Allure. He is a ship person. By DD's favorite is HAL, but she wants to do a 14-day Southern Caribbean visiting beautiful places. She is a port person. The favorite for my in-laws, DW and myself is Disney, (aside from the price of course) - perfect combination of entertainment, stylishness, elegance and service. We felt that for those few days, we all had become kids again.

We did HAL, RCI (Liberty of the Seas, which is pretty much the same as Freedom), and twice on Disney. My DS' favorite is Royal Caribbean, and his "dream cruise" is Oasis/Allure. He is a ship person. By DD's favorite is HAL, but she wants to do a 14-day Southern Caribbean visiting beautiful places. She is a port person. The favorite for my in-laws, DW and myself is Disney, (aside from the price of course) - perfect combination of entertainment, stylishness, elegance and service. We felt that for those few days, we all had become kids again.

Would love to do Disney, maybe another time. Pricing during that time is up surd , really up surd. Pricing on any of them during that time of course is double but disney is at least triple or more. Also, have heard that it's not the best for teens and I have 2. Still trying to decide between RCL and NCL?

I just did some extra research for you to consider.

Checking Christmas sailing in 2013.

For about the same price, for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids, I can do a 14-day B2B (Dec20-Jan3 sailing) on HAL Zuiderdam inside cabin (cat J which is big) for about $200 less (total) than a 7-day (Dec22 sailing) on Allure of the Seas inside cabin. Totally different experience for about the same $. I think we will choose HAL in this situation if we had to pick one. Price for Freedom of the Seas should be less. And although I haven't checked, but I think 2014 holiday price will be lower than 2013 price as you see them now.

I just did some extra research for you to consider.

Checking Christmas sailing in 2013.

For about the same price, for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids, I can do a 14-day B2B (Dec20-Jan3 sailing) on HAL Zuiderdam inside cabin (cat J which is big) for about $200 less (total) than a 7-day (Dec22 sailing) on Allure of the Seas inside cabin. Totally different experience for about the same $. I think we will choose HAL in this situation if we had to pick one. Price for Freedom of the Seas should be less. And although I haven't checked, but I think 2014 holiday price will be lower than 2013 price as you see them now.

Yes, a very different experience. Not sure y you r hard selling me HAL as I have said it seems to be not an experience for kids really but more for older adults. I have found this to be mostly the case from other reviewers as well.

Would love to do Disney, maybe another time. Pricing during that time is up surd , really up surd. Pricing on any of them during that time of course is double but disney is at least triple or more. Also, have heard that it's not the best for teens and I have 2. Still trying to decide between RCL and NCL?

I suppose you are planning for 2013 and not 2014. If you look at 2014, the price should not be as high as 2013's. Many of these sailings have already been in the market for over a year now so for people who HAS to cruise in Christmas/Holiday, they have already booked their cruise 1.5 year in advance and cruiseline keep raising price as supply continue to drop.

I suppose you are planning for 2013 and not 2014. If you look at 2014, the price should not be as high as 2013's. Many of these sailings have already been in the market for over a year now so for people who HAS to cruise in Christmas/Holiday, they have already booked their cruise 1.5 year in advance and cruiseline keep raising price as supply continue to drop.

Yes I am aware of this and we will certainly be more diligent about it next year but this is the situation we are dealing with now and won't comprimise on the kids end because we lagged in timing. Thank you for all your input however it is greatly appreciated.

Yes, a very different experience. Not sure y you r hard selling me HAL as I have said it seems to be not an experience for kids really but more for older adults. I have found this to be mostly the case from other reviewers as well.

Sorry if you got the impression that I was selling you HAL. I pick Freedom of the Seas in your poll and that's my first response in this thread, based on your criteria, I will still suggest Freedom of the Seas. All I am saying is there are many other choices available and each provides a "somewhat-similar" experience or a "totally-different" experience, at the same price. You can get a taste from each of the cruiseline's board here of what each line and ship is like and decide what you think is best for you.

edit: you understand your kids' preference, as I understand mine to. If given the choice, my DS will prefer one and my DD will prefer the other. Eventually it is my call but whichever we choose I certainly don't get the feeling of compromising on the kids end.

Sorry if you got the impression that I was selling you HAL. I pick Freedom of the Seas in your poll and that's my first response in this thread, based on your criteria, I will still suggest Freedom of the Seas. All I am saying is there are many other choices available and each provides a "somewhat-similar" experience or a "totally-different" experience, at the same price. You can get a taste from each of the cruiseline's board here of what each line and ship is like and decide what you think is best for you.

edit: you understand your kids' preference, as I understand mine to. If given the choice, my DS will prefer one and my DD will prefer the other. Eventually it is my call but whichever we choose I certainly don't get the feeling of compromising on the kids end.

Again, I do absolutely thank you for your input and I am not opposed to soemthing other than what I mentioned since there are so many cruise lines out there. But I am looking for whats best for a family situation with young and teenaged kids and HAL does not seem to fit this bill the best or even in the top 3 -5.

Allure (and I expect Oasis) offer the best variety of activities, entertainment, and dining. Kids will have no problem finding activities. Both ships offer the DreamWorks experience which is sure to please younger children. The water park is quite popular with youngsters. In fact there is so much to do that likely seven days will not be enough.

There are a wide variety of shows. the Broadway style shows (Chicago on Allure and Hairspray on Oasis) have great production values and should appeal to adults. Other shows like Blue Planet and those in the aqua theaters and ice rinks have a broader appeal. There is lots of entertainment in the evenings and I'm sure you and your parents will find something to satisfy your tastes. Like most ships there are many activities during the day for all ages.

There are several places that offer a quiet respite. Central Park tends to be fairly sedate and has several venues for dining and relaxing. The Solarium is also relatively relaxed.

I expect one would have to work pretty hard at being bored on either Oasis or Allure. It certainly would be difficult not to enjoy oneself.

Allure (and I expect Oasis) offer the best variety of activities, entertainment, and dining. Kids will have no problem finding activities. Both ships offer the DreamWorks experience which is sure to please younger children. The water park is quite popular with youngsters. In fact there is so much to do that likely seven days will not be enough.

There are a wide variety of shows. the Broadway style shows (Chicago on Allure and Hairspray on Oasis) have great production values and should appeal to adults. Other shows like Blue Planet and those in the aqua theaters and ice rinks have a broader appeal. There is lots of entertainment in the evenings and I'm sure you and your parents will find something to satisfy your tastes. Like most ships there are many activities during the day for all ages.

There are several places that offer a quiet respite. Central Park tends to be fairly sedate and has several venues for dining and relaxing. The Solarium is also relatively relaxed.

I expect one would have to work pretty hard at being bored on either Oasis or Allure. It certainly would be difficult not to enjoy oneself.

Thank you for your response, I just have to convince my parents that the bigger ships will be better all around for everyone, any ideas on how to achieve that one LOL

Thank you for your response, I just have to convince my parents that the bigger ships will be better all around for everyone, any ideas on how to achieve that one LOL

Your original post said that your parents are looking for good entertainment. Bar none Oasis and Allure offer the best entertainment afloat. The best shows, the most variety, and the greatest number of venues.

The advantage of a bigger ship is that not only is there more variety there is also more separation. A bigger ship does mean more passengers, but then the ship is bigger so there is lots more room to spread out.

Your original post said that your parents are looking for good entertainment. Bar none Oasis and Allure offer the best entertainment afloat. The best shows, the most variety, and the greatest number of venues.

The advantage of a bigger ship is that not only is there more variety there is also more separation. A bigger ship does mean more passengers, but then the ship is bigger so there is lots more room to spread out.

Ok, yes all good points and someone mentioned an area thats quieter on the ship as well, i forget the name of it. I guess if we get a room for them as well more mid ship then less walking too ?? Thanks again

Archived