Would you buy jewelry on a Carnival Ship?

I'm planning on buying a Citizen watch on my next cruise. They were much cheaper on the ship than I've been able to find them online, by a good amount.

My wife & I both bought watches while onboard the Magic last year.

Mine was a Citizen Eco Drive which cost about $275.

I found the identical watch at a local jeweller priced at $400.

I realize if I shopped around I would likely find it for under $400 but $275 seems like a good deal. My wife bought a Guess that had bling to it so she doesn't care if it was a deal. She bought it because she liked it. :D

Stay away from the inch of gold sale usually held just outside the door of the ship store. If you buy it, plan on just viewing it in a glass cabinet and then you won't have any problems. If you plan on wearing it, make sure all your accessories are green.

The cruise newbees go crazy over it (as we once did many cruises ago) and it really sells. Now my wife just winks and smiles to me as we watch the sales of the gleaming, .00000000001 genuine gold bracelets. Hey but what the heck! That is just part of the cruising experience. It's the flat iron steak of jewelry.

Every mall in America has someone selling the exact same stuff. Gold chains that come on 100' reels just scream quality. ;)

If you are shopping off the ship know that 90% of the "silver" sold in the cruise centers is no better than the inch of gold on the ship. Simply stamping 925 on the clasp is no guarantee. Simple trick, hold a magnet put to it. If it sticks, it ain't silver.

If you are shopping off the ship know that 90% of the "silver" sold in the cruise centers is no better than the inch of gold on the ship. Simply stamping 925 on the clasp is no guarantee. Simple trick, hold a magnet put to it. If it sticks, it ain't silver.

Sterling doesn't glitter like chrome, either. It has a softer, duller look to it.

I won't buy jewelry on the ship or at any of the ports. I've found that everything is generally cheaper either on sale in the US or online.

I wanted to buy cosmetics on our last cruise. Supposedly there were some great deals (at least the internet and sales people on board claimed so). What I did find, was that the cosmetics being sold cost more than what you'd pay at Sephora by $5-$10 for an eyeshadow quad.

We looked at cameras and laptops as well. You can get them for less money at your local best buy.

If there's something in particular that you're looking for, check for it online. You might find a deal. I live near an outlet mall and we have handbag stores, watch stores, sunglasses, etc. where you can find some pretty good deals. I bought a Fossil watch for $20 at our outlet and I bought a large Coach bag for $80.

We have a Coach outlet near us too and they have some incredible deals. Just be aware though, that about 80% of the Coach bags in the outlet are made specifically for the outlet and are not the same quality as the ones in the full-priced boutiques [or at Macys, etc.]. They are still decent quality, esp. for the price, but you are not usually getting a $500 bag for $80 just because you went to the outlet. I believe the items on the ships are first quality, current collections so it makes sense they are more than an outlet.

As far as jewelry on the ship goes, gold-by-the-inch is fake junk. I still don't get the appeal! The other costume/fashion jewelry is what it is and if that is your thing so be it; prices will not be that much more or less than on land. Fine jewelry [real gold/silver/platinum with real stones] can be a good deal if you know what you are buying. It can also be overpriced. It just depends on the piece. Quality-wise, it is just as good as you will find in most land-based department stores. EFFY and LeVian are well-known and established brands that you could also buy on land, sometimes for less and sometimes not. I would not likely buy extremely high end jewels on board just because it is nice to get things from a close-to-home store where you have a relationship with the staff [in the off chance something goes wrong].

**Just to note, I have not bought any jewelry on ships for myself. The men's selections are usually quite limited and nothing has caught my eye. I have bought things in port though. Usually I stick with unique sterling items when on vacations [stuff you can't find easily at home and that will remind me of the trip] and save more expensive gold purchases for close to home.

My wife and I bought Fossel watches and we love them.

I somehow left my watch at home. So I bought a Fossil on board the ship. I like a loose band, and it was...I like a sort of large watch that still looks feminine..and it does..and when I got home..I priced at a local Department store and it was about $30 cheaper..and no sales tax.

I love it. I have also purchased Perfume..Cologne....Light Blue for my daughter and it seems the prices are good on them...I have bought Hair spray because I sailed with none..expsnsive but the best hair spray I have ever used...ditto Clinque make up...have bought that..pleased with it. Also big tote bags..Tees....never came home feeling like I had been robbed.

If you like Fossil Hand bags, the vintage ones. or the ones that look vintage..with the milti colored strips of leather or cloth...there is an outlet in the Cayman Island that has some good deals. My daughter collects them....cleans them after use..stuffs them with newspapers....and she has some lovely bags...so I bought her one. It was a large, leather..multi colored blocks...and I paid a little over a hundred for it. At the Fossil website..the bags were $180. It could have been last year's style..but they looked the same to me. it still looks new when she carries it.

St.Thomas has an outlet too..but I don't like it as well. Not much of a selection or a discount to me.

Martinque....(sp) was the best place for buying French Perfume. My husband had to drag me out of line. They had one shelf filled with perfumes on clearance.....none of which I had ever heard of...but I bought a bunch...smelled divine for the rest of the year. People would ask me what I was wearing and I just said..Martinique...still have not been back...I wish Carnival would offer that cruise again. It was a nine day one....and I still remember how much I enjoyed it.

Interesting, informative thread.

No. I can find better prices at home and if there is a problem, I can easily return to the store.

Seriously, how many problems are you going to have with jewelry that is not self-inflicted? I am not saying it won't happen, but the chances have to be about as low as the ship catching on fire...ummm...hmmm...bad analogy.

I think the watches (Citizen) are a much better value on board. Better than Costco often and a great selection of high quality Citizens. Jewelry buys can be had in St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and Aruba. Keep in mind that many jewelers have island pricing and cruise in port pricing. When i vacatioed frequently in Aruba (and knew most of the jewelry store owners) i saw big price fluctuations. Also they will often offer open bar while you shop. Ive had many, many cocktails in jewelry stores. Just ask. Key is to negotiate, negotiate, negotiate.

Friend bout an 8 carat Ceylon sapphire ring with 4 carats of diamonds set in an ounce of platinum for $8000 in Aruba...got it appraised...$24,500. A pair of 5 carat diamond hoops in 18k for $1800....appraised $7500. Took some time but she was thrilled.

Little Switzerland sometimes has discontinued watch models on clearance. Friend got a $1500 Rado for $600. Cant match that anywhere.

Last Carnival cruise we took in Oct 2012 I saw a Michael Kors watch I really liked, but couldn't get anyone to help us as all the help were drooling over the folks looking at the diamonds.

I'm guessing it was in the $200 range. Too bad, I would have bought it.

I have purchased some cheap costume jewelry like bracelets and a couple of watches. I would never buy expensive jewelry on the ship. I would much rather deal with a local jeweler. I have heard too many horror stories in the past here of jewelry purchases made on the ship.

Check prices at home for Eco Drive Citizen watches.

When Kohl's has them on sale, combined with a 30%off coupon the price will be cheaper.

But there is a much better selection on the ship and how often do you get that 30% coupon?

Bought several Citizens onboard and haven't had a problem. Bought one at Macy's and it stopped working after a few years.:rolleyes:

Several years ago Carnival was selling cheap jewelry sets for $10. They were 'Made in Chain'.:p

I had to laugh as I was reading this because just this past weekend, I had one of those 30% coupons for Kohl's. I went and picked out a nice looking Citizen eco-drive watch. I love it!

I am scared to buy anything too expensive on this ship. I looked at a diamond ring on my last cruise, but was just too worried about the "what if something goes wrong". The sales person told us we would have to ship overseas for repair...just seemed like too much of a hassle.

I had to laugh as I was reading this because just this past weekend, I had one of those 30% coupons for Kohl's. I went and picked out a nice looking Citizen eco-drive watch. I love it!

I am scared to buy anything too expensive on this ship. I looked at a diamond ring on my last cruise, but was just too worried about the "what if something goes wrong". The sales person told us we would have to ship overseas for repair...just seemed like too much of a hassle.

Thats a funny thing my wife broke her eco drive a few weeks ago and we sent it to California to get it fixed through Citizen.She got the email today a new crown,crystal,stem and gasket with all labor and shipping was $80.85. She had it for 3 years and bought it onboard for 40% off retail.We were impressed by the service they provided

I bought tanzinite on the cruise ship one time about 10 years ago. I was sick with the purchase because I thought I got ripped off. I took it to our local jeweler and had it appraised. He asked me what I paid for it and when I told him he almost feel off the chair. He said I got an awesome deal. Had he known he would have gone on a cruise. The color was very deep and the stone was perfect.

I've also purchased a gold by the inch chain and had it appraised as well, also a good deal.

I have heard of people having a hard time invoking the CCL guarantee but that's only hearsay.

I bought tanzinite on the cruise ship one time about 10 years ago. I was sick with the purchase because I thought I got ripped off. I took it to our local jeweler and had it appraised. He asked me what I paid for it and when I told him he almost feel off the chair. He said I got an awesome deal. Had he known he would have gone on a cruise. The color was very deep and the stone was perfect.

I've also purchased a gold by the inch chain and had it appraised as well, also a good deal.

I have heard of people having a hard time invoking the CCL guarantee but that's only hearsay.

The gold by the inch is not real so how did it appraise as a good deal

I would never buy any expensive jewelry on a cruise ship. I would rather purchase at home from a jeweler I know and can contact should there be a problem.

There was a story here on one of the boards of a woman who bought diamond earrings on the ship for quite a bit of money. When she got home and took them to a jeweler she found out they were fake and had no success, from the cruise line or the company that sold them to her, getting any money back.

We were told that while you may be able to be able to purchase a citizens (or another brand) watch on the ship these are not the same quality of those that you would purchase in a regular store. That they are made specifically for cruises and the parts are of a lesser quality. I don't know if that's really the case but not a risk I would be willing to take on an expensive item.

Edited by BeachChik

So far have purchased a diamond Tag, 2 Ciitizen Eco-Drive watches, matching Gucci watches. And a tanzanite and diamond ring. The better watches are rarely discounted at home but the Tag was less and I saved the tax. The Citizens were a good deal and less than home. Our jeweler told me we got a good deal on the ring. I've been happy so far. The deals were better years ago when you could get great deals on European brand watches that we're little known at home. Junk jewelry is junk jewelry. If you like something, buy it.

I would never buy any expensive jewelry on a cruise ship. I would rather purchase at home from a jeweler I know and can contact should there be a problem.

There was a story here on one of the boards of a woman who bought diamond earrings on the ship for quite a bit of money. When she got home and took them to a jeweler she found out they were fake and had no success, from the cruise line or the company that sold them to her, getting any money back.

We were told that while you may be able to be able to purchase a citizens (or another brand) watch on the ship these are not the same quality of those that you would purchase in a regular store. That they are made specifically for cruises and the parts are of a lesser quality. I don't know if that's really the case but not a risk I would be willing to take on an expensive item.

I dont think this is the case with watches.They have the same warranty as if I would buy at home or online.Its not like buying the Rolex from the flea market that has a sweeping hand thats made in china but looks and feels just like the real thing but the insides are junk

Thats a funny thing my wife broke her eco drive a few weeks ago and we sent it to California to get it fixed through Citizen.She got the email today a new crown,crystal,stem and gasket with all labor and shipping was $80.85. She had it for 3 years and bought it onboard for 40% off retail.We were impressed by the service they provided

He was referring to the diamond ring about the repair...He told us we would have to send it overseas to get it sized - and for any repairs. I didn't look at any watches on board.