Is Amazon cruise worth it?

We booked the Amazon cruise hoping it would be very different

Sadly its not

its nothing but mile upon mile of nothing but jungle and very little in way of birdlife and as for the STAGED amazon villages they are a total joke

just do not bother

Edited by phillipahain

• Members
For a much different experience, and a chance to explore deep into the rain forest, we took International Expeditions' La Estrella out and back from Iquitos, Peru.....I wanted to write a CC review for this cruise, to let others know how terrific it is, but could find no place to do it on the website. Highly recommended!

Hi hawklady! This line and ship is new to our site, but it's there. You can review it here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?CruiselineID=184. Thanks and we're looking forward to seeing it!

We booked the Amazon cruise hoping it would be very different

Sadly its not

its nothing but mile upon mile of nothing but jungle and very little in way of birdlife and as for the STAGED amazon villages they are a total joke

just do not bother

Obviously, like many things in life, people have differing opinions.

I found the miles and miles of jungle fascinating. The villages we visited were interesting to see the settings in which people live in remote areas whether or not some elements were staged. I found the vastness of the river, its color, the sunsets, and the whole setting to be intriguing, especially in imagining how people lived in the area and how it was explored in years past.

If someone wants to see the smaller rivers and lots of jungle and wildlife up close, then the Regent cruise is not the one for that. For a more hands on (or feet on the ground?) jungle trip a cruise beginning in Manaus and moving further up the Amazon may be a better choice.

Obviously, like many things in life, people have differing opinions.

I found the miles and miles of jungle fascinating. The villages we visited were interesting to see the settings in which people live in remote areas whether or not some elements were staged. I found the vastness of the river, its color, the sunsets, and the whole setting to be intriguing, especially in imagining how people lived in the area and how it was explored in years past.

If someone wants to see the smaller rivers and lots of jungle and wildlife up close, then the Regent cruise is not the one for that. For a more hands on (or feet on the ground?) jungle trip a cruise beginning in Manaus and moving further up the Amazon may be a better choice.

As I said before, effectively, "each to his/her own". It, clearly, suits some. Good luck to those who fancy it.

Personally, I'd rather stick red hot needles in my eyeballs than endure a cruise on the Amazon. Just not my idea of fun, enjoyment or a productive use of my leisure/holiday time.

As I said before, effectively, "each to his/her own". It, clearly, suits some. Good luck to those who fancy it.

Personally, I'd rather stick red hot needles in my eyeballs than endure a cruise on the Amazon. Just not my idea of fun, enjoyment or a productive use of my leisure/holiday time.

Your description of how you feel really made me laugh...... I feel the same way:)

Personally, I'd rather stick red hot needles in my eyeballs than endure a cruise on the Amazon.

I'm trying to not lose sight of your points, but somehow that alternative didn't occur to me on the cruise.....:)

For a much different experience, and a chance to explore deep into the rain forest, we took International Expeditions' La Estrella out and back from Iquitos, Peru. It's 1000 miles upstream from Manaus, and really is in the jungle. The ship was comfortable, the naturalist guides were fabulous, excursions by skiff into narrow tributaries brought us in close contact with wildlife. We also visited two villages and took a jungle walk (only one, because this was high-water season). I wanted to write a CC review for this cruise, to let others know how terrific it is, but could find no place to do it on the website. Highly recommended!

We did the same thing on the Ibero Star and we loved it...we left from Manus. This was not a luxury cruise but well done and we learned a lot. The larger ships cannot go through the full Amazon experience. It was a lot of fun.

The Galapagos is also very interesting and you should put that on your bucket list.

My feelings exactly. We all like something different, and I certainly wouldn't judge anyone who liked something different than I do. I've been away for a while, because someone chastised me for not wanting to go to Brazil!!

My feelings exactly. We all like something different, and I certainly wouldn't judge anyone who liked something different than I do. I've been away for a while, because someone chastised me for not wanting to go to Brazil!!

Hi Linda, I agree with you about the Amazon. I would put it about 30th on my list of interesting place I have been to. And now that I think about it, maybe even lower. As far as the rest of Brazil, a day or two in Rio and Iquazu Falls are the only highlights.

j

31/425

We have traveled all over the world and we get bored with crusing luxury lines. So we go back to places that interest us and we ...not bragging, do everything top notch and many of them are overland or exploration cruises where we have more than a port day. That being said,we are physically able to do this and explore with a guide and driver and we can walk.

No bus tours for us on any line. The shroud has no pockets and we are not taking it with us.