Legend heading to Australia

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2013/05/09/451603_gold-coast-news.html

Fair Use Extract

The Carnival Legend will sail seasonally out of Sydney to the South Pacific from September 24 in what is a major vote of confidence in the Australian cruise industry by the world's biggest cruising company.

The Legend is the sister ship to Carnival Spirit which has carried more than 100,000 passengers since coming to Australia last October.

The hugely successful Spirit was the first ship Carnival has ever home ported outside America.

"Carnival Legend will go into dry dock in 2014 where she will receive a range of upgrades to ensure she's perfectly suited for the tastes of the Aussie market," Ms Vandekreeke said.

"We will be using our valuable learnings from the first year of Carnival Spirit's deployment to decide on the best features and enhancements for Australians."

Passengers will be able to start booking in June.

Since we are booked on this ship leaving out of Dover UK on the 25th of September someone has to have their dates wrong. Wonder who's telling the truth?

It would be in September 2014.

And where does that leave Tampa???

Edited by spencercoop

With only the Paradise and a bridge that most bigger ships can't sail under. Tampa is a great port to cruise from too. Hope they send another ship here.

me too! The Legend is one of my very favorite ships. I am glad we are sailing on her in November. I guess it will be the last time.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2013/05/09/451603_gold-coast-news.html

Fair Use Extract

The Carnival Legend will sail seasonally out of Sydney to the South Pacific from September 24 in what is a major vote of confidence in the Australian cruise industry by the world's biggest cruising company.

The Legend is the sister ship to Carnival Spirit which has carried more than 100,000 passengers since coming to Australia last October.

The hugely successful Spirit was the first ship Carnival has ever home ported outside America.

"Carnival Legend will go into dry dock in 2014 where she will receive a range of upgrades to ensure she's perfectly suited for the tastes of the Aussie market," Ms Vandekreeke said.

"We will be using our valuable learnings from the first year of Carnival Spirit's deployment to decide on the best features and enhancements for Australians."

Passengers will be able to start booking in June.

It's a shame Tampa is losing her. They need a smaller ship to fit under the Sunshine Skyway. Wonder if she'll get replaced and by which ship?

Shawn

We sailed the Legend twice, and loved her, too bad. Maybe they will get another ship into Tampa that will sail to Progresso and Calica, and really do the Cancun area, not just Cozumel. Dont get me wrong I love Cozumel, but will love to see some ruins without driving to NO. Maybe they will bring a Costa ship over here, they were built along the same lines. (oh, a pun)

It would be in September 2014.

Sadly it looks like we're SOL.

We're going to be stuck with the Paradise and that's it from the looks of things.

I'm really sorry to see this. We loved the Legend and love leaving from the Tampa port. I'm really hoping that this proves to be untrue.

Our son-in-law convinced us to book on the Sunshine for our winter cruise in 2014. We usually book the Legend for the end of December or beginning of January. Now, I wish we'd booked the Legend so that we could have another chance to sail her.

Unfortunately, same place as before. 1 hr and 55 minutes away from a very strong competitor: Port Canaveral. A port that is growing, deepening the channel, and expanding its facilities to accommodate the largest ships being built today.

In the meantime, Tampa is stuck, with a cruise terminal on the other side of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, limiting it to ships not much larger than the Legend, which will eventually mean certain death unless they take some drastic measures.

With Legend's departure, Tampa is left with only one year round ship (and just doing short cruises), and 3 seasonal ships.

Edited by Tapi

It does say seasonal, so Legend will be somewhere else part of the time. Let the guessing begin!

Maybe Asia in Summer and Australia in the winter?

This is what RCI does with the Voyager.

Carnival Corp did just announce they are going to have a greater presence in Asia in the coming years...