Wifi-Riviera

Karen Lynn

Haven't been on Riviera, but bought the package on Nautica in March and it was great. Dropped signal a couple of times only, and speed was fine. Was able to Skype kids with no problem other than the challenge of time zones. I would expect Riviera to be as good, if not better.

Mo

People can (and do) chime in with how THEIR on board internet experience was.

However the experience you get may be vastly different. Why?

What shapes your on board internet experience:

• Weather
  • Ships physical location
  • Ships satellite system
  • Ships local network connected to the satellite system
  • Number of active users on your ship
  • Number of other ships in the same area trying to use the same satellite(s)
  • Number of other users on other ships in the area trying to use the same satellite(s)
  • Port blocking
  • People trying to weasel around port blocking

So the best answer is - it depends.

This is true and I didn't quote the price we paid for two reasons. First I can't remember it exactly. Second we got a slightly discounted rate to compensate for the fact it is blocked in China and Japan and can be spotty in the South China Sea. But for all that we thought the service was quite good and certainly worth what we paid. I would purchase again if available.

Mo

We were on the Marina last year and had alot of trouble with the WIFI. connect drops, slow response etc. We were told that it was because we had a MAC. They told us that the because that the ship has so many hot spots, that the MAC WIFI drivers got confused and would drop the connection. When we used the desktops they had, it did work better.

I used my iPad exclusively. Worked great. Sometimes I think people make up stories as excuses for not knowing their job.

Drug my laptop and never used it except to download photos. Next time I will have several humongous cards and leave the laptop home.

Mo

We've just booked 16 August cruise on Riviera at I think a fairly competitive rate (all balcony grades reduced to one price, as were concierge and penthouse suites) and I was surprised "free wi-fi" was included. I had thought that maybe this was now free to everyone but perhaps this is not the case. Do you think there is a catch to this or will I be able to freely use the internet on my phone via the ship's wifi?

We've just booked 16 August cruise on Riviera at I think a fairly competitive rate (all balcony grades reduced to one price, as were concierge and penthouse suites) and I was surprised "free wi-fi" was included. I had thought that maybe this was now free to everyone but perhaps this is not the case. Do you think there is a catch to this or will I be able to freely use the internet on my phone via the ship's wifi?

They have several promotions for people booking specific cruises in the specific time frame that include the free WiFI & OBC

If you check Oceania website then look under PROMOTIONS you can check them out

You should have no problem using the wifi on your phone. Just make sure you turn your data roaming off and use wifi only.

Archived