I'm packing now, have quick question

My husband takes 2 pairs of jeans (1 blue, 1 black) and a pair of khaki dress slacks (for elegant nights.) We figure if he spills something or has a tragic accident and severely soils all 3 options while eating dinner we can always wash them.

Jeans are ok in the dining room on casual nights.

Khakis paired with a collared shirt should be ok for the boys - you can dress up more of course but it isn't expected that boys wear a suit on elegant night.

Especially when lots of the adult men aren't wearing a jacket & tie.

Assuming a 7 day cruise and 10 year old sons, you need two pairs of Dockers each. Have them change right after dinner. Three polo shirts each. Basically school uniforms if they go to catholic school.

How long is your cruise? How old are your sons?

7 nights / 22 and 19.

Thanks for all responses. As long as they can wear jeans a couple of nights, I think Ill only bring 3 Dockers/Khakis. I was thinking khakis w/polo on regular nights and Navy Dockers w/ shirt and tie on elegant nights. A couple of nights they can wear jeans/polo! Im glad its allowed.

The cruise is 7 nights, but we'll be at the departing port (SJ) 4 days before the trip.

Thanks again everyone!:)

Assuming a 7 day cruise and 10 year old sons, you need two pairs of Dockers each. Have them change right after dinner. Three polo shirts each. Basically school uniforms if they go to catholic school.

LOL!!! They did go to Catholic School! But they are in college now, getting out Wednesday after exams and we are leaving Thursday! I have to do all the packing :(. I also have to do it now, because Ill be packing up their dorm rooms over the weekend so theyll just have sheets/blanket/pillow and a couple of days of clothes to bring home Wednesday. Happy Mothers Day to me!

Im packing! Was wondering how many Dockers / Khakis to bring for hubby and boys. Are Jeans allowed (the norm) in the dining room on non-elegant nights?

Thanks

We will be taking our 14th and I have mastered it for myself. I always take one suite for the formal nights with two different shirts and ties.

Khakis I always take 2 pair to split between the remaining 4 nights with different polo shirts for each. The first night on I always wear shorts since the luggage usually is not ready yet and since we always have early seating.

Jeans in the MDR? I do see people doing it but think it's frowned on. I have never seen anyone told about it but....

I look at it this way, you wear what you're comfortable in, within reason.

LOL!!! They did go to Catholic School! But they are in college now, getting out Wednesday after exams and we are leaving Thursday! I have to do all the packing :(. I also have to do it now, because Ill be packing up their dorm rooms over the weekend so theyll just have sheets/blanket/pillow and a couple of days of clothes to bring home Wednesday. Happy Mothers Day to me!

What a good Mom! I hope you have a great cruise & a nice break from all the work you do.

We will be taking our 14th and I have mastered it for myself. I always take one suite for the formal nights with two different shirts and ties.

Khakis I always take 2 pair to split between the remaining 4 nights with different polo shirts for each. The first night on I always wear shorts since the luggage usually is not ready yet and since we always have early seating.

Jeans in the MDR? I do see people doing it but think it's frowned on. I have never seen anyone told about it but....

I look at it this way, you wear what you're comfortable in, within reason.

Perfect! I will copy this exactly! Thank you so much!

I have five sons, three in college! WTH- let them wear jeans, they'll be fine! Happy Mother's Day!!!:D

What a good Mom! I hope you have a great cruise & a nice break from all the work you do.

Thanks! When I booked this trip last August, it looked great on paper! Boys would be out of school, cruise gets back Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, we'll all have Monday off before going back to work/starting summer jobs etc.. Now that its here, I dont know what I was thinking. Im up until midnight every night washing, ironing, separating stacks and stacks of clothes. I also have 2 daughters to (help / supervise) pack for too..but their dresses are easy to pack. Mens suits..not so much!

Jeans are definitely allowed on casual nights. Here are quotes from the FAQs:

"Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs)."

"Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!"

http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=wear

Thanks! When I booked this trip last August, it looked great on paper! Boys would be out of school, cruise gets back Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, we'll all have Monday off before going back to work/starting summer jobs etc.. Now that its here, I dont know what I was thinking. Im up until midnight every night washing, ironing, separating stacks and stacks of clothes. I also have 2 daughters to (help / supervise) pack for too..but their dresses are easy to pack. Mens suits..not so much!

I think the packing phase of all of my cruises turns into "what was I thinking" at some point. The worst - having procrastinated packing and making name tags for the cocktail party until the last minute. The first tags of the 35 or so were meticulous, then I calculated how long I would be making tags if I kept up with 15 minutes for each one. The rest - 2 minute name tags, ugly but done! :p

it no longer matters what size carnival makes their ships. Tthey to cram as many people as possible onto their ships, which per ratio they did as the ships got bigger and bigger.

its amazing to think there are only 2000 more people on a rccl ship 90000 lagwtrger. that speaks volumes. and then people shout about the low ccl fares.

i still prefer the smaller ships with higher fares to experience real cruising.

the first tags of the 35 or so were meticulous, then i calculated how long i would be making tags if i kept up with 15 minutes for each one. The rest - 2 minute name tags, ugly but done! :p

lol!! :d

Archived