Toddler Pools, swimming, and beaches

blessed2travel

My daughter will be 28 months at Carnival cruise time. I have seen several people post about taking the inflatable duck tub for "swim time" on the deck. My question is---how do you fill it up? What about when you are done--do you just pour the water on the deck?

Now for the beach, did you pack sand toys? What about a floatation device. I am already an over-packer as it is....and I am trying to envision how everthing is going to fit.

My daughter brought a small bucket with a few sand toys inside for the grandkids to play with on the beach. No flotation device. The inflatable duck tub sounds like too much effort to me. Most ships have some kind of a water play area for kids too young to go in a pool.

My daughter brought a small bucket with a few sand toys inside for the grandkids to play with on the beach. No flotation device. The inflatable duck tub sounds like too much effort to me. Most ships have some kind of a water play area for kids too young to go in a pool.

Not really. Only Disney and RCI' Oasis and Freedom class ships have a splash area for the diapered set. To the OP - you can get a beer bucket from the bar to fill the poor or just use the pail you bring for the beach. You don't need much water. When you are done, there are drains on the pool deck, particularly the shower area, to dump them. Do not empty them where the water can get into the pool.

If your ship doesn't allow diapered kids in pools, then use the "duck tub"...fill it with your ice bucket...empty into a floor or shower drain on the pool deck. I wouldn't use it on a balcony, as there isn't a place to empty it, generally speaking.

It only takes a couple inches....it's just for "splashing". It can be helpful at bathtime, too, as most cabins only have showers.

Little kids can make toys from almost anything.....spoons, sticks, shells, cups, etc.....

If you want to bring a bucket, stuff it with socks, underwear, etc.....and it won't take up any space at all in a suitcase. Leave it behind when done, if you don't want sand in your suitcase on the return trip!

I wouldn't worry with a lifejacket, as a child that young would never be out in the water without me or dad holding him/her! They do have the inflatable water wings, if you must...they are flat until blown up...takes no room.

I think an inflatable tub would be too small. Our DD will be 28 months old and I'd never consider it. First, it would be an extremely tight fit--if she fit at all. Second, she swims in regular pools all the time so she would not have any part of it. We have used it as the opportunity to get serious about finishing potty training.

We are taking her inflatable "swimmies" (for arms) for if she goes in the pools (other than splash area). That's all she uses in the pool at home.

We don't plan to go to any beaches, but probably wouldn't bring buckets, etc even if we were. I try not to overpack and that's something I'm sure we could get in port if we really need to.

Archived