Kids formal night attire?

HappyChappy

You will see a lot of adults who are not in suits and ties. My son does not like getting dressed up, so he wears a polo and nice dockers. My daughter likes to wear fancy dresses, so she does. No one will care what your son wears unless it is obviously inappropriate.

To be honest they really should enforce the tie rule.

No tie, no admission to MDR.

Just my opinion.

Rule?

"We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so."

He'll be just fine. This pic was taken 4 years ago on the Carnival Freedom when DS was 15. This was the first time we had the "elegant" night instead of formal night. DS has dressed this way on all our cruises since then on elegant night and fit in nicely with all the other boys.

1298534698_15754_101847299840203_1253341_n2-Copy.jpg.a319789a65467e1a75c677baf58617d8.jpg

It's Carnival and he's a kid. I've seen a few people (adults) look about an inch from destitute and not go hungry.

My little brother sucked it up and did the tie for the pictures/dinner and then bolted to change. He was 15 at the time.

I'm probably going to chap some people, but that's kind of how I roll.... If people have a stick up their a$$ about whether or not your NINE year old, by your accounts well-behaved boy, will be wearing a tie with the other attire you describe, they need to get a grip. I'm all for rules (there's nothing I've seen that says you have to wear a tie) and respect (don't let him tell the ladies they're too fat for their skin-tight dresses or too old to be wearing a short skirt that shows their hygiene preference ... quite frankly, the adults in this kind of get up ruin my meal a lot faster than a 9 year old kid sans tie ... oh the horror) but he sounds like a good kid who will be comfortable albeit well dressed. It sounds like you've taught him all sorts of rules and etiquette. I'd take a well-behaved kid over a well-dressed kid any day. Tell the little fart to keep his elbows off the table and enjoy your cruise.

Wow, I know elegant attire was a touchy subject for some people, but for a 9 year old boy?! I'm sure a collared shirt and chinos is fine. That's what I plan on having my 6 year old boy wear on our upcoming cruise.

Don't make him wear a tie if he is going to be miserable. One of our sons just wore a button up shirt and slacks. People will get all self righteous on here. Just cause a kid doesn't like ties doesn't mean he doesn't have manners. Remember to enjoy yourself and your family. Kids will grow up fast, let him enjoy this time too.

I guess I am lucky my daughter likes to dress up. She already bought a gown for formal night and can't wait to wear it. We get dressed up for dinner every night of the cruise. My husband always has a collared shirt on and some nights a sports jacket.

He of course saves his suit for formal night and my daughter and I save our best dresse for then as well.

I guess I am lucky my daughter likes to dress up. She already bought a gown for formal night and can't wait to wear it. We get dressed up for dinner every night of the cruise. My husband always has a collared shirt on and some nights a sports jacket.

He of course saves his suit for formal night and my daughter and I save our best dresse for then as well.

Right there with you. Cocktail dress every night, and a gown for Formal/Elegant/WhateverFancy Night. Hooray! :)

Here's the suggested dress code from Carnival's FAQs. It's the same for children and adults.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

What you've described will be fine.

To be honest they really should enforce the tie rule.

No tie, no admission to MDR.

Just my opinion.

There is no rule that a tie be worn so there is nothing to enforce.

Q:What to wear

Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Bill

...it's good time to teach kids that life sometimes expects them to keep their commitments and when you opt for a cruise as a vacation choice, formal night is part of that commitment. If my kid wouldn't comply with such a simple request, we'd make a different vacation choice - one where I wouldn't need to have to pick and choose what expectations to follow, but that's just me - I think part of being a respectful tourist is to adapt to the situation we signed up for, and not the other way around.

If you were trying to teach a nine year old that there is an expectation that he wear a tie (in the MDR on "elegant night"), then you'd be lying to him (or mistaken about the expectation). The dress code is clear. I would choose not to lie to my child and force him to wear clothes that are likely uncomfortable and that he doesn't want to wear.

Instead, I'd find out what he wants to wear and then compare that to the dress code. If it violates the code, then I'd explain to him what the code requires and work with him to find somthing that fits and that he is comfortable with. It shouldn't be much trouble finding typical "kids clothes" that are acceptable under the code.

I also think that it isn't constructive to motivate a child to seek out the "oh, isn't he so precious" type of attention that unfortunately sometimes results from parents treating their kids like dress-up dolls.

As an aisde, I don't personally see any reason why someone would want or expect a nine year old to wear a tie, but that's my own opinion and I respect that other people have different opinions.

Archived