Tipping at speciality resturants

hexdragon

On this coming cruise, my sister and I will be eating at the Steakhouse. I know from my Disney cruises that they say the up-charge is really covering the tip for the waiter... I think we normally give them a little extra...

Do people normally tip on top of the up-charge? And what do you base that tip on, the up-charge? :confused: I assume if I search this forum I will find the answer, but I'm just too lazy today :D

On this coming cruise, my sister and I will be eating at the Steakhouse. I know from my Disney cruises that they say the up-charge is really covering the tip for the waiter... I think we normally give them a little extra...

Do people normally tip on top of the up-charge? And what do you base that tip on, the up-charge? :confused: I assume if I search this forum I will find the answer, but I'm just too lazy today :D

I have heard various stories from waiters and crew

When specialty resturants started with NCL ($5.00) the charge was for the waiter snd assistant waiter. Extra tipping was not asked for. As it became popular the price went up and your charge receipt has a line for tipping.

One cruise line rep claims the entire up-front for tipping. I find this hard to believe as a $30.00 pp tip is excessive.

A waiter told me the tip is pooled between waiter, assistant waiter, chief, matre'd etc. The amount received from teh up-charge is almost nothing.

I don't want to sound cheap but I do not add an additional tip unless I got something special.

The waiters in the resturant are usually the same waiter in the dining room and I already give the recommended tips.

You're already tipping twice. No reason to tip a third time.

It's included.

I agree, you are already being charged $11.50 per day/per person plus the specialty dining surcharge which includes gratuity.

Not sure what anyone gets if anything but on our $70 steakhouse meal, we were real happy with the food and service. We gave a $30 tip to make it an even $100 meal.

Tipping to me is like any where else...If it shows in the bill, and unless I feel I got superb service, I will let the tip already built in stand. If I feel they did an excellent/superb job, I give extra....Personally, I felt like royalty with the service I got. It did not compare to anywhere else I have eaten, food wise or service. :cool:

Not sure what anyone gets if anything but on our $70 steakhouse meal, we were real happy with the food and service. We gave a $30 tip to make it an even $100 meal.

Tipping to me is like any where else...If it shows in the bill, and unless I feel I got superb service, I will let the tip already built in stand. If I feel they did an excellent/superb job, I give extra....Personally, I felt like royalty with the service I got. It did not compare to anywhere else I have eaten, food wise or service. :cool:

Really???:eek:

Royalty??? Really??? What did they do other than explain the different cuts of meat, pour your water, take your order, bring your food and clear your plates?

Royalty??? Really??? What did they do other than explain the different cuts of meat, pour your water, take your order, bring your food and clear your plates?

I wouldn't go as far as saying that its "like royalty" but I do understand what that poster meant. The service is unhurried and sophisticated. The china is of higher quality. The wait staff knows when to approach the table. They know how to read subtle hints. They are available but unobtrusive. Contrary to the service at the MDR where the waiters are in a constant state of hurry, (serving multiple people at once from huge trays), at the Steakhouse you have multiple servers attending you and ONLY you at one time. Proper serving etiquette is followed, but unless you know what to look for, you may not notice the subtle differences.

To the untrained eye, it may seem like all they are doing is "explaining the different cuts of meat, pouring your water, taking your order, bringing your food and clearing your plate". But those who know what to look for, will appreciate the details (and yes, maybe even make them feel a bit like royalty :)).

we've never seen or heard of the speciality waiters also working in the dining room. it's a separate service and from my understand from a friend who works for the line your gratuities do not go towards the specialty restaurant so you're only tipping once in the check.

if the service is great ill tip another $10-20 because they've earned it. I'm on vacation and it's stupid and pointless to get worked up over a few dollars.

I concur FireEater! I normaly come away more than pleased with both the food and the service. I do leave a tip..:):)

I wouldn't go as far as saying that its "like royalty" but I do understand what that poster meant. The service is unhurried and sophisticated. The china is of higher quality. The wait staff knows when to approach the table. They know how to read subtle hints. They are available but unobtrusive. Contrary to the service at the MDR where the waiters are in a constant state of hurry, (serving multiple people at once from huge trays), at the Steakhouse you have multiple servers attending you and ONLY you at one time. Proper serving etiquette is followed, but unless you know what to look for, you may not notice the subtle differences.

To the untrained eye, it may seem like all they are doing is "explaining the different cuts of meat, pouring your water, taking your order, bringing your food and clearing your plate". But those who know what to look for, will appreciate the details (and yes, maybe even make you feel a bit like royalty :)).

Actually, the servers we had on Wed night, were attending to another table as well. Maybe the service is like being royalty, I wouldn't know. Had to turn down my invites from Prince Harry due to my cruise :D

We've always gotten great service and had an excellent meal in the steakhouse. I typically add $10 to the surcharge as an additional tip. I don't think anyone's ever been successful finding out how much of the $35 goes to the wait team.

The waiters in the resturant are usually the same waiter in the dining room and I already give the recommended tips.

I don't believe this is the case, nor would it be even possible. The steakhouse is open during service in the MDR, so wait staff from the MDR couldn't also be working in the steakhouse.

I spoke with a waitress in the steakhouse on our Princess cruise and she indicated that she'd worked her way up to the steakhouse, having previously worked in the MDR and that the steakhouse positions were sought after.

To the untrained eye, it may seem like all they are doing is "explaining the different cuts of meat, pouring your water, taking your order, bringing your food and clearing your plate". But those who know what to look for, will appreciate the details (and yes, maybe even make them feel a bit like royalty :)).

Sometimes the service is outstanding and sometimes it has been worse than the DR.

It is annoying that they will not tell us how much of the $ 35 is the tip. We tip extra for outstanding service and that happens about half the time.

On one occasion wished we could have removed the tip altogether. Even complained to steakhouse manager about poor service and she said she saw and her only other comment is she would talk to the waiter.

Archived