Bar Harbor Hike

Mare10

We'll be on a New England/Canada cruise with Princess in October.

The cruise line offers an excursion that is a hike in Acadia Park. Has anyone done this before? We did a similar hike in Juneau on an Alaskan cruise and loved it.

Still trying to decide what to do in Bar Harbor.

Thanks!

We'll be on a New England/Canada cruise with Princess in October.

The cruise line offers an excursion that is a hike in Acadia Park. Has anyone done this before? We did a similar hike in Juneau on an Alaskan cruise and loved it.

Still trying to decide what to do in Bar Harbor.

Thanks!

Are you referring to excursion BHB-470 or BHB-380? It is identified as a guided walk and I'm trying to figure out which trail it would be on. Do you have any more info?

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...

We walked across the bar in Bar Harbor over to Bar Island earlier this month when we were on our Veendam cruise. We were fortunate to have tendered over at low tide. The sandbar that connects the island to the mainland is exposed about 90 minutes before and after low tide, giving you a three-hour window to walk over to the island and back. The island is part of Acadia National Park, but of course it's not the same as the rest of the park. Nevertheless, it's an enjoyable little hike across the bar and to the topmost point on the island--about 2 miles roundtrip.

We walked across the bar in Bar Harbor over to Bar Island earlier this month when we were on our Veendam cruise. We were fortunate to have tendered over at low tide. The sandbar that connects the island to the mainland is exposed about 90 minutes before and after low tide, giving you a three-hour window to walk over to the island and back. The island is part of Acadia National Park, but of course it's not the same as the rest of the park. Nevertheless, it's an enjoyable little hike across the bar and to the topmost point on the island--about 2 miles roundtrip.

I'm very interested in this hike. The last times I've cruised to Bar Harbor, the tides were not correct for hiking to the island. This year our low tide is 2:47PM on the day we would be in Bar Harbor. Our ship is scheduled to leave at 5:00PM which I guess means the last tender to the ship is around 4:15-4:30PM. I was thinking we could start at 1PM and be back to Bar Harbor by 4PM then get back to the ship on time.

Do you think we would have enough time to do this hike?

Thanks!

Are you talking about the hike offered through the cruise line? I know there we'll be safe getting back in time since it's a ship excursion. We may be talking about a different hike!

I'm very interested in this hike (hike over to Bar Island). The last times I've cruised to Bar Harbor, the tides were not correct for hiking to the island. This year our low tide is 2:47PM on the day we would be in Bar Harbor. Our ship is scheduled to leave at 5:00PM which I guess means the last tender to the ship is around 4:15-4:30PM. I was thinking we could start at 1PM and be back to Bar Harbor by 4PM then get back to the ship on time.

Do you think we would have enough time to do this hike?

Thanks!

I do this hike every time I'm in Bar Harbor. You don't have to wait for exact low tide. If low tide is at 2:47PM, then you should consider being at the down ramp to the bar at 1- 1:30PM, or even earlier.

I've only walked on Bar Island once and I found it to be very over grown. I now walk along the shore.

You could easily do this hike depending on what time you start.

SBtS

I do this hike every time I'm in Bar Harbor. You don't have to wait for exact low tide. If low tide is at 2:47PM, then you should consider being at the down ramp to the bar at 1- 1:30PM, or even earlier.

I've only walked on Bar Island once and I found it to be very over grown. I now walk along the shore.

You could easily do this hike depending on what time you start.

SBtS

Great to hear. I'm looking forward to this hike.

Archived