Banana Coast & HAL ink deal

FIRELT5

[

Shop for what? In the cruise line created ports, I have yet to see anything beyond a small souvenir trinket or cap/t shirt to buy. :confused: We really don't need competive pricing for small trinkets or t shirts.

I hope I haven't missed out on buying some treasures there but I can't imagine what.

I've purchased some silver jewelry. I have a lot and I found the prices to be acceptable.

Edited by lorekauf

And the prices are higher than when you get to shop in the towns and there is competition among the vendors.

I was recently in Ensenada. I went downtown and saw some jewelry I might have been interested in. I asked the guy how much and he told me $140. I said I wouldn't pay more than $35 for that. He said ok. I was so irritated at that point I walked out. He was ready to rip me off and if I hadn't known better he would have. I went back to the ship and they had several vendors at the pier inside the port building. The prices were very good and I bought several things.

Call me strange but with all the places in the world to visit why go places a person doesn't enjoy?

If you don't enjoy it, there are plenty of alternatives. Why complain? I have zero interest in going to Europe but I would never go on a thread about it and complain about it.
Short-term selfish reason: Because there are more interesting places in the Caribbean than artificial cruise line-made ports that have nothing to commend them, and I would rather ships stopped at the more interesting places.

Long-term broader reason: Because these artificial cruise line-made ports will be damaging to the cruise industry in the longer term as their consequences come back to haunt both them and us.

Short-term selfish reason: Because there are more interesting places in the Caribbean than artificial cruise line-made ports that have nothing to commend them, and I would rather ships stopped at the more interesting places.

Long-term broader reason: Because these artificial cruise line-made ports will be damaging to the cruise industry in the longer term as their consequences come back to haunt both them and us.

I could not have said it better myself.

Terri

I need to ask again, why support something you don't believe in? When I don't like something I don't use/buy it. That would send a message pretty quick, wouldn't it? Which ports to you suggest HAL go to? You do realize that there needs to be infrastructure in place.

So many ships, so many cruisers and only so many docks in so many ports.

They need more places to bring all us eager cruisers.

Each port can only handle so many people/ships on a given day. Most are stretched beyond practical. If we want to keep booking cruises to the Caribbean, cruise lines need to find places to bring us.

Some of us cruise the Caribbean for the weather and truthfully, with only a few outstanding exceptions, many islands are all the same to us. We go for sun and fun and mostly shipboard experience rather than many of the islands.

I need to ask again, why support something you don't believe in? When I don't like something I don't use/buy it. That would send a message pretty quick, wouldn't it?
I did say that I stay on the ship!

As for not choosing cruises with these artificial ports, I try to do that. That's really the most effective way of not supporting what I don't believe in.

But it's not always possible to avoid these ports entirely when choosing a cruise. When you factor in practical constraints, sometimes there are very few cruises that are actually feasible. (For a hypothetical example, if the cruise must depart no earlier than Saturday 26 October, must return no later than Sunday 3 November, must sail from and return to a Florida port, must not be a Carnival cruise, must have the option of fixed dining: What is there? Not actually a huge amount of choice.)

So many ships, so many cruisers and only so many docks in so many ports.

They need more places to bring all us eager cruisers.

Each port can only handle so many people/ships on a given day. Most are stretched beyond practical. If we want to keep booking cruises to the Caribbean, cruise lines need to find places to bring us.

Some of us cruise the Caribbean for the weather and truthfully, with only a few outstanding exceptions, many islands are all the same to us. We go for sun and fun and mostly shipboard experience rather than many of the islands.

I totally agree with this. I love the Carribean weather, especially when the cold winds are blowing and the snow is flying around back home. I've been to most of the ports over the years and at this point all I ever want to do now is find a nice beach to relax on for the day. I have no problem with the cruise line ports if they get my ship somewhere I've never been to. I'll quickly move through it to get a cab to a nice, somewhat quiet beach.

I did say that I stay on the ship!

As for not choosing cruises with these artificial ports, I try to do that. That's really the most effective way of not supporting what I don't believe in.

But it's not always possible to avoid these ports entirely when choosing a cruise. When you factor in practical constraints, sometimes there are very few cruises that are actually feasible. (For a hypothetical example, if the cruise must depart no earlier than Saturday 26 October, must return no later than Sunday 3 November, must sail from and return to a Florida port, must not be a Carnival cruise, must have the option of fixed dining: What is there? Not actually a huge amount of choice.)

I totally hear you. I have deadlines that I must work within. That said I would not go anywhere I felt strongly against. I have another situation. To say I hate the Statendam is the biggest understatement in the world. I will not step foot on that ship again. I love, love the Panama Canal. The Statendam is pretty committed to that route. I simply refuse to go unless it's another ship.

• 10 months later...

Has anyone seen this port on the 2014 itineraries yet? I searched a bit today but came up empty.

Ryndam is due to call their this fall/winter. We are about 90% sure we will be booking for one of the November sailings. Very excited! Would be out first time on HAL.

I'm not sure this is "news" as this thread is almost a year old. There is an 'up side' to the search feature not working. ;)

The CC really needs to adopt the Trip Advisor policy. If there are no new posts to a thread in 3 mo (6 mo?) the thread is locked. You can still find old threads for info, but no new posts are allowed.

The CC really needs to adopt the Trip Advisor policy. If there are no new posts to a thread in 3 mo (6 mo?) the thread is locked. You can still find old threads for info, but no new posts are allowed.

It's strange that CC doesn't follow that policy, since CC and Trip Advisor are corporate relatives.

It's a good policy, and would be an improvement here.

(although it is fun to see who doesn't read before posting. ;))