Manhattan- earliest flight from Newark?

I am booked on the Breakaway, and having a little difficulty finding the ideal return flight. I know the general recommendation is to not book before early afternoon, but I am wondering what people's experience is.

What is the earliest time you have or would book a flight from Newark?

What is the earliest time you can be off the ship (assuming everything happens on schedule)?

We've done early walk off, and have gotten off at 8, and gotten off at 10:45. There can be issues with customs, especially on a Sunday. I would stick to an early afternoon flight, just in case. Be the last to leave the ship, and have a calm morning.

Thanks! Why are there more likely to be issues with customs on Sunday?

It has appeared to me that they sometimes have fewer CBP agents on duty...I guess it's hard to get people to agree to work on Sundays.

Also, the Breakaway is the largest ship ever to homeport in NY, so there are going to be more passengers to process. That alone suggests it would be better to book an afternoon flight.

I think you will be fine with the 3 o'clock.

Personally we have the worst luck with disembarkation. After 4 cruises from NYC we have never gotten off on time or without a hassle. But we've always breezed off the ship in Florida & San Juan. :rolleyes:

Thanks Trish. I basically don't have any ideal flight options. They are all either too early, too expensive (prices jump dramatically at about 1:00), or not to my preferred home airport. The 3:00 is the right price, but goes to a further away airport. But that's what I'm going with- if all goes well I will have some extra time in NYC and maybe get a chance to see the Rockefeller tree, even if not lit up!

Archived