Not informing cruise line of dietary restrictions

I get fried eggs at the omlet station. I watch them slide two real eggs onto the grill. For omlets they have a bowl of eggs which may have come from a carton that they spoon onto the grill.

I don't have a gluten issue or any dietary restrictions except for my personal desire for healthy eating, but I don't eat the eggs from a carton. When I go to the omelet station, I always ask for them to crack eggs for my omelet and they always oblige. Ask and you (usually) will receive.

My husband has a severe... as in anaphylactic shock, nut allergy.

The first cruise we submitted his allergy in advance and it was horrible.

While my husband's reaction to nuts can be severe, his tolerance level is not as high as many people's. So if he eats something that was made in a pan that had nuts in it - he wont get a reaction or he'll get just a mild buzz in his lips and he takes one benedryl and is OK.

But since we notified them - they had him on a special diet which really limited his choices. In retrospect we should have asked to take him off the special diet - but my guess is once requested, we'd need a doctor to get him off. As it was we stuck with it for the cruise.

We found it is MUCH easier for us to manage his allergy by just asking the waiter if there are nuts in a particular dish he wants. The waiters on all of the cruise lines we've been on are happy to check with the chef if there's any question.

On one cruise ALL of the desserts one night had nuts in them, our waitress brought my husband a big bowl of ice cream with whipped cream which he loved and from then on every night she'd ask if he wanted her to check with the chef or just have "his regular."

I realize gluten and nuts aren't the same thing. But assuming she can eat in restaurants - she will be fine. It's your choice, depending on how intolerant she is, whether to talk to the Maitre d' or just to the waiter.

Don't panic. Just deal with it on board.

Thank you! Btw, I emailed the special assistance people last night and they got back to me within a few hours assuring me they would take care of it. I'm prob over reacting but as its a birthday present, their first cruise and I'm arranging everything I'd like for it all to go as smoothly as poss.

I'll report back when we're home!

I am celiac and always bring my favorite granola and snack bars with me - cause you just never know when you're going to be stuck and hungry! Especially in an airport, it can be hard to find safe food. I'm sure she'll have fun and it's nice you're so considerate.

Thank you! Btw, I emailed the special assistance people last night and they got back to me within a few hours assuring me they would take care of it. I'm prob over reacting but as its a birthday present, their first cruise and I'm arranging everything I'd like for it all to go as smoothly as poss.

I'll report back when we're home!

You're a good kid!

On my last cruise, I did bring up my allergy to shellfish (can't remember if we were asked about any allergies, or if I just mentioned it in passing), and immediately the head waiter came over. I assured him that I don't eat fish in any way so I'm okay (I'm guessing he was about to suggest he show me each menu for the next night, just as what happened when I put a low cholesterol diet on my hubby's cruise personalizer when he had tested borderline).

The time on a cruise that I almost had a major problem was a few cruises ago when I served myself some stir-fry from the buffet, sat down, and noticed some pink things in it, fortunately before I ate any of it. Had to toss it and get something else. I did write on my comment card at the end of the cruise that the items in the buffet need to be better described, especially if there are items such as shrimp (or nuts or whatever) that many people are allergic to.

NCL with their lack of assigned dining has a bit more difficulty in providing gluten free dinners -- which are more readily planned when known celiac passengers are at known tables. Unfortunately when it comes to lido and freestyle dining, the individual has to exercise great care.

That is true. I eat gluten free, and ordering a GF meal was more complicated on NCL than on Carnival. However, she should be fine. There are plenty of naturally gluten free foods. As for bread products, to be honest the NCL gluten free bread products are bad. Your mom may not want to eat them anyway. The only ones I liked were the waffles and a piece of chocolate cake I had in Cagney's. The pizza, muffins, and bread were terrible.

We have travelled on several cruise lines and NCL's Epic was the easiest to deal with regarding my DS's dairy allergy. There are several restaurant managers who rotate through the various restaurants on various days who soon recognized us and were able to get us what we needed without having to spend a lot of time explaining our situation. They are the ones you need to speak to when you board. As well, you can preview the menu for the next night and preorder the next nights meal.

They were really helpful and accommodating and made special versions of their regular menu items such as a non dairy version of calamri (which turned out the be better than the regular menu version!) and freshly made sorbets that weren't on the main menu as many of the regular desserts had dairy.

As others have stated, take along some back up foods just in case as GF quality can be hit and miss, as long as it doesn't require refridgeration.

Have a great time on your trip.

Archived