Not informing cruise line of dietary restrictions

We are sailing on NCL Epic on Sunday. My mom is gluten intolerant but apparently the cruise line weren't informed. I booked through a travel agent and have written confirmation from them that they have informed the cruise line of her intolerance. However when I called the cruise line today, they claimed they weren't informed. They said it's now too late.

I had previously asked the travel agent several times about this and they assured me it would be fine. Anyway, I have yet to speak to the travel agent in person - I've just spoken to her colleague and left a voice mail. It may be just a mix up but in the event they have not informed the cruise line, my question is - has anyone had any experience with this? How has it worked out?

Thank you!

I would contact NCL Special Assistance directly.

http://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

Also immediately upon boarding head directly to the MDR or Hotel Services and discuss your needs with the staff. Having read here, the restaurant staff is very helpful in menu suggestions and in some cases the Chef will make adjustments.

Once on the ship be sure she contact the Food & beverage manager/hotel manager whatever they are called on NCL

They can probably advise her what food are safe to eat if they did not get the request ahead of time

Don't take chances & have her cruise ruined by it

We are sailing on NCL Epic on Sunday. My mom is gluten intolerant but apparently the cruise line weren't informed. I booked through a travel agent and have written confirmation from them that they have informed the cruise line of her intolerance. However when I called the cruise line today, they claimed they weren't informed. They said it's now too late.

I had previously asked the travel agent several times about this and they assured me it would be fine. Anyway, I have yet to speak to the travel agent in person - I've just spoken to her colleague and left a voice mail. It may be just a mix up but in the event they have not informed the cruise line, my question is - has anyone had any experience with this? How has it worked out?

Thank you!

When you first board the ship, go directly to the main dining room and speak to the maitre'd, inform him of the situation, and they will do everything to assist you. Of course, some of the responsibility of maintaining her gluten free diet will rest with her, especially in terms of dining in the buffet and between meal snacks. But as I said, speak to the maitre'd and the head waiter for your section, and they will help.

My husband has acid reflux disease and cannot eat any red meat with spices. I called the special needs department and they said to speak to the Maitre D about this. He is usually availble in a dining room when you get on board. Speak to him then. You can also speak to him when you get to the dinning room that evening.

The 1st night they can't really do anything so he has shrimp. Then, every night the hostess comes with the next night's menu. My husband chooses what he wants and he gets his 'specially prepared' beef or lamb the next night. He no longer has problems at dinner!

If she is just "intolerant", the head waiter can help her pick low or gluten-free foods.... If she has Celiac's disease, she cannot have ANY gluten......that's more serious than "intolerant"! Contact special needs NOW!

Apologies - she has ceoliac disease, not just intolerance. Thank you all for your helpful advice. I knew this was the best place to come! I spoke to someone in the general guest services dept so I'll try the special needs service.

Thanks again. I appreciate it all the replies.

All cruise lines deal with gluten intolerant guests all the time.

Notification should be given a number of weeks prior to sailing but they will take care of your Mom. Speak with Dining Room Manager/Maitre d' as soon as possible after boarding.

In the end, it is your Mom's responsibiltiy (or yours) to see to it she only eats that which will not make her sick. No matter how well intentioned the crew, we all need to look out for ourselves. When in doubt...... don't eat it.

I suppose I'm mostly concerned that she has some kind of suitable bread or cereal at breakfast and can have a modified version of a sauce for steak for example. Other than that, she's used to eating around her condition and actually can eat quite a wide variety of things. I just don't want her to be stuck with fruit and meat for breakfast! Luckily potato and rice are naturally gluten free so dinner and lunch should be easier. I'll email special assistance now and will certainly make sure it's something I take care of on the ship on the first day - i'll make friends with everyone in charge of food! ;-)

Can't your Mom eat eggs/omelettes for breakfast?

I am no expert on gluten free so sorry if that is a poor choice.

Yes she can - but any bread products must be gluten free. Quality can vary between cruiselines and even ships. Some will even make GF pancakes. She might want to bring a box of GF cereal if that's what she's used to, but I've always found grits at breakfast.

She can but at 60, she's a bit set in her ways and is used to some kind of bread/corn cake or cereal. She can eat omelettes alright but I know she'll want something starchy. I think I'll bring a pack of rice cakes and a box of cereal in my case just in case! I'm not going to say anything to her now as I'm confident now (thanks to you guys) it'll be ok once I see someone when we board. I had planned to do that anyway.

The cruise ships we've been on have single serve cereral boxes at breakfast. this is Cheerios, frosted flakes , fruit loops, etc. They also always have scrambled eggs on the buffet, pancakes & waffles, etc. Or go to the dining room.

She can but at 60, she's a bit set in her ways and is used to some kind of bread/corn cake or cereal. She can eat omelettes alright but I know she'll want something starchy. I think I'll bring a pack of rice cakes and a box of cereal in my case just in case! I'm not going to say anything to her now as I'm confident now (thanks to you guys) it'll be ok once I see someone when we board. I had planned to do that anyway.

Normally, NCL could accommodate this, but since they were not notified with enough time (special orders are done 4-6 weeks out from sailing - coming straight from a couple of NCL HDs) they may not have bread or cereal available unless it's on board from a previous guest that didn't use it all. Bringing her rice cakes or any crackers that she normally has is a good idea.

NCL with their lack of assigned dining has a bit more difficulty in providing gluten free dinners -- which are more readily planned when known celiac passengers are at known tables. Unfortunately when it comes to lido and freestyle dining, the individual has to exercise great care.

Can't your Mom eat eggs/omelettes for breakfast?

I am no expert on gluten free so sorry if that is a poor choice.

She should bring some GF food with her.

Also be careful of eggs. There was a thread on the Carnival board the other day about the eggs. The processed ones, for scrambled eggs, from cartons may have gluten in them.

I get fried eggs at the omlet station. I watch them slide two real eggs onto the grill. For omlets they have a bowl of eggs which may have come from a carton that they spoon onto the grill.

Only 60?? The way you were talking about having to plan out everything for her I figured she was at least in her 80's. I'm well over 60 and can manage to do my own planning quite well. She should know what she needs to bring for herself and also what she can and cannot eat. Even if they don't have enough notice to bake special bread for her (she might want to bring a loaf) she can have grilled meat and fish, rice, baked potatoes and all kinds of salads and veggies. Just avoid sauces.

I would like everything to be as easy as possible for her. It's her first cruise and while she's not old and is v knowledgable about what she can and can't eat, she is not the type to ask for anything extra if its not available from the menu. This is why I'm organising it now. Plus it's her birthday present so I want everything to be done for her.

Archived