Anyone get word from the sunshine?

mairead224

The maiden voyage finishes on the 17th! People are getting bumped from the next cruise? Is this what you are saying? They were informed Wednesday that come Friday morning there is no cabin for them?

How did his post slip by????

Could this possibly be because certain cabins are still not up and running or did they double book cabins, which seems very unlikely to me.

I'll check the roll call to see if here is any word on this over there.

Just checked the next Sunshines roll call and only you 4FanTrashCan posted anything about people getting bumped.

What was the reason that they gave your friends, just that they were over booked?

Just checked the next Sunshines roll call and only you 4FanTrashCan posted anything about people getting bumped.

What was the reason that they gave your friends, just that they were over booked?

I had seen one previous post on here earlier about requests for volunteers. Someone had asked if anyone was taking Carnival's offer. No replies.

They (Carnival) stated directly to me that they overbooked this cruise (as is common in the cruise ship industry - there words, not mine) and that they had no other choice but to begin bumping passengers starting with those that booked "Friends and Family" tickets as was the case with our friends booking through one of their Carnival family members.

They also stated to me that all of the ships functions and features are operational as of today and that it was simply an overbooking error. I have my doubts.

As I understood it, the first two cruises were canceled and the current "cruise" happening right now is a test run and that the May 17th cruise is its official first cruise. My apologies if this was an incorrect statement.

Anyone have openings in their small excursion groups for two? Pisa/Florence, Rome, Mt Etna, others?

Well I'm I the cruise.

The waterworks opened officially at 3pm yesterday. Sportssquare also opened at this time however the mini golf remains closed. Some outside areas of Club Carnival are still closed. Test operations commenced about 24 hours before hand.

The main pool remains closed and we are told will not be open for the duration of the cruise starting tomorrow. A problem filling the pool we are told.

There is an electrical problem which causes lighting in the public areas to dim temporally. Whether the air con works in your cabin is pot luck.

The technicians seem to have fixed most of the water & sewage leaks affecting the cabins and the new carpets were deep cleaned a couple of days ago.

Most cabins appear to be fine however there are still 4 that have issues which are in the Lido deck. New items such as bins / hangers / in room signs continue to arrive on a daily basis. Signage now up around the ship (toilets etc).

Most catering facilities are open - a couple if self serve machines not working.

Entertainments team continue to have technical issues with equipment not being linked up but they are trying hard. A music quiz was played out by one chaps mobile phone into his mic as no CD or MP3 input available.

First day impressions were not good. Flooding affecting cabins on decks 9/10. Serenity cabins not finished. Wires hanging out in many places waiting to be attached to lights/led screens/fire alarm points etc! Some passengers spent the overnight in Venice in hotels so that Carnival could sort out their cabins!

One day the ship had a complete electrical failure. Restored within minutes. Crew were good at checking cabins to ensure everyone ok. Captain appologies almost immediately.

All passengers given $75 credit as compensation for facilities not working. Not all crew travelled out of Venice as their cabins not ready. This led to reduced services and entertainments. One act refused to board the ship leading to a replacement act being found 4 days later! We are told that all crew have now joined and this is reflected in service levels mirroring published service.

Finally, this current cruise is the maiden cruise. It's been discribed on board/publically as such. Passengers given inaugural cruise bags.

I can't confirm whether people will be bumped from the next cruise but my guess is they will because contractors still need to fix stuff.

I've solved the mystery. The Sunshine has entered the "twilight zone" and it really has not sailed with passengers. Has been very quiet for a first voyage. I would have thought someone would have posted something by now. Eleven days and I can find out myself.

These forums will probably burn up over the weekend.

There is a very high proportionof crew family and fruends / carnival group execs on this cruise. It is noticeable. In some bars, these crew, family, execs out number ordinary passengers 2:1!

Well I'm I the cruise.

I can't confirm whether people will be bumped from the next cruise but my guess is they will because contractors still need to fix stuff.

Thank you for your report.

Well I'm I the cruise.

The waterworks opened officially at 3pm yesterday. Sportssquare also opened at this time however the mini golf remains closed. Some outside areas of Club Carnival are still closed. Test operations commenced about 24 hours before hand.

The main pool remains closed and we are told will not be open for the duration of the cruise starting tomorrow. A problem filling the pool we are told.

There is an electrical problem which causes lighting in the public areas to dim temporally. Whether the air con works in your cabin is pot luck.

The technicians seem to have fixed most of the water & sewage leaks affecting the cabins and the new carpets were deep cleaned a couple of days ago.

Most cabins appear to be fine however there are still 4 that have issues which are in the Lido deck. New items such as bins / hangers / in room signs continue to arrive on a daily basis. Signage now up around the ship (toilets etc).

Most catering facilities are open - a couple if self serve machines not working.

Entertainments team continue to have technical issues with equipment not being linked up but they are trying hard. A music quiz was played out by one chaps mobile phone into his mic as no CD or MP3 input available.

First day impressions were not good. Flooding affecting cabins on decks 9/10. Serenity cabins not finished. Wires hanging out in many places waiting to be attached to lights/led screens/fire alarm points etc! Some passengers spent the overnight in Venice in hotels so that Carnival could sort out their cabins!

One day the ship had a complete electrical failure. Restored within minutes. Crew were good at checking cabins to ensure everyone ok. Captain appologies almost immediately.

All passengers given $75 credit as compensation for facilities not working. Not all crew travelled out of Venice as their cabins not ready. This led to reduced services and entertainments. One act refused to board the ship leading to a replacement act being found 4 days later! We are told that all crew have now joined and this is reflected in service levels mirroring published service.

Finally, this current cruise is the maiden cruise. It's been discribed on board/publically as such. Passengers given inaugural cruise bags.

Thanks for your posting. The truth will come out as always.

Well I'm I the cruise.

Thankyou so much for giving us the update. Hopefully they will get the main pool up and running soon.

In Barcelona and we board Carnival Sunshine tomorrow!

I hope you can dispel the rumors once and for all. Once, I see the Lido pools operational from your camera, I will know it was just that rumors. I hope you enjoy your cruise, I'm definitely looking forward to the new restaurant menus/food pictures from you. I'll just make sure I'm full, your pictures always make me so hungry!

I hope you can dispel the rumors once and for all. Once, I see the Lido pools operational from your camera, I will know it was just that rumors. I hope you enjoy your cruise, I'm definitely looking forward to the new restaurant menus/food pictures from you. I'll just make sure I'm full, your pictures always make me so hungry!

How rude. The main Lido pool is most definitely not open. The number of times over the past 12 days that I wanted to take a swim but instead had to look at the netting covering the empty pool.

How rude. The main Lido pool is most definitely not open. The number of times over the past 12 days that I wanted to take a swim but instead had to look at the netting covering the empty pool.

Doesnt sound like the next sailing is going to exactly be a pleasure cruise either.

Molcrochip your post has been very helpful to those of us waiting to hear what has been happening on board the Sunshine this week. My DS and BIL have emailed a couple of times but other than telling us that there cabin was changed they mostly speak of the fun that they have been having at the ports. This pattern has been off for my sister so I for one believed that there was truth to the rumors of issues with the cabins etc on this ship.

I think from what you described such as decreased staff, electrical issues and especially cabin issues not to mention the waterparks being closed for the majority of the cruise, warrants more compensation to some cruisers than $75.

There will be a lot of official cruise reviews submitted for this cruise, I would think.

I had seen one previous post on here earlier about requests for volunteers. Someone had asked if anyone was taking Carnival's offer. No replies.

They (Carnival) stated directly to me that they overbooked this cruise (as is common in the cruise ship industry - there words, not mine) and that they had no other choice but to begin bumping passengers starting with those that booked "Friends and Family" tickets as was the case with our friends booking through one of their Carnival family members.

They also stated to me that all of the ships functions and features are operational as of today and that it was simply an overbooking error. I have my doubts.

As I understood it, the first two cruises were canceled and the current "cruise" happening right now is a test run and that the May 17th cruise is its official first cruise. My apologies if this was an incorrect statement.

Anyone have openings in their small excursion groups for two? Pisa/Florence, Rome, Mt Etna, others?

Personally I have never read about over booked cruises. I definitly have never heard of this happening with less than 48 hrs notice prior to sailing!!! These passengers were from the US and the ship is in Europe.

Correct me if I'm wrong fellow ccer's but wouldn't you just freak out if this happened to you???

Molcrochip your post has been very helpful to those of us waiting to hear what has been happening on board the Sunshine this week. My DS and BIL have emailed a couple of times but other than telling us that there cabin was changed they mostly speak of the fun that they have been having at the ports. This pattern has been off for my sister so I for one believed that there was truth to the rumors of issues with the cabins etc on this ship.

I think from what you described such as decreased staff, electrical issues and especially cabin issues not to mention the waterparks being closed for the majority of the cruise, warrants more compensation to some cruisers than $75.

There will be a lot of official cruise reviews submitted for this cruise, I would think.

If I'm honest, they should have cancelled this cruise - it wasn't ready. It could then have been 100% ready for the next cruise. Just been told that some outside deck areas will be closed for reprinting tonight in the hope that they are ready for departure tomorrow. It's very clear which deck areas have not been reprinted.

We have spoke to some people who had deck 6 cabins and have seen no problems. They have spent their days in port on excursions, at sea up in the adults only Serenity area and most evenings in the speciality restaurants.

It goes to show that whether people have gas a good cruise will depend on where their cabin was and whether the facilities they wanted to use were finished.

If I'm honest, they should have cancelled this cruise - it wasn't ready. It could then have been 100% ready for the next cruise. Just been told that some outside deck areas will be closed for reprinting tonight in the hope that they are ready for departure tomorrow. It's very clear which deck areas have not been reprinted.

We have spoke to some people who had deck 6 cabins and have seen no problems. They have spent their days in port on excursions, at sea up in the adults only Serenity area and most evenings in the speciality restaurants.

It goes to show that whether people have gas a good cruise will depend on where their cabin was and whether the facilities they wanted to use were finished.

To me it sounds like you are right that one more week would have been all that was needed for a fantastic launch for the Sunshine. Those reviews will tell the story.

My one DS did tell me that she received word yesterday but my emails seems to be lagging by a day, stating that DS has been enjoying the specialty restaurants a lot. She was moved but i am not sure from which deck to which deck. Knowing her she will turn lemons into lemonade. Her quick port reports sounded like they were enjoying the ports a whole lot.

To me it sounds like you are right that one more week would have been all that was needed for a fantastic launch for the Sunshine. Those reviews will tell the story.

My one DS did tell me that she received word yesterday but my emails seems to be lagging by a day, stating that DS has been enjoying the specialty restaurants a lot. She was moved but i am not sure from which deck to which deck. Knowing her she will turn lemons into lemonade. Her quick port reports sounded like they were enjoying the ports a whole lot.

The fantastic itenary has been the cruise's saving grace.

I'm not sure how photos of the pool (or any other feature) fully operational on the second cruise proves that it was also fully operational on the first cruise? The extent of the plumbing and electrical issues may be debatable, but I think it's been pretty well established, not just on cc, that the waterworks and sports deck just opened and the main pool has not opened but hopefully will by the second cruise.

It's okay to be a Carnival fan and admit that this is true and that it would be frustrating for families who expected to use the amenities on their dream cruise. I wouldn't care if I was cruising without children. I'd be happy in the ports and relaxing with a book. But with children this would be a big issue and I would expect compensation. My spoiled children will tell you that, regardless where the ship stops, they want a ship with a sports deck, ropes course, and waterworks. Running and playing is how kids relax after port tours. To promise my kids all that and then look at the closed amenities day after day would not be fun. I'm sure there were also plenty of adults who were looking forward to that kind of simple fun to break up the touring, which is one reason they booked a cruise instead of a land vacation.

It's understandable that there were problems in the shipyard, cancelling at the last minute would be expensive and upset even more people, and so they just decided to sail. It's also understandable that somebody had to be on the first cruise. It doesn't mean there's something terribly wrong with Carnival or the Sunshine. I plan to cruise again with Carnival many times. The Sunshine is still on my list of ships I'd love to sail. But that doesn't mean the current cruisers don't have reason to feel disappointed and expect some compensation for not receiving what they were promised.

Archived