Rain, rain and more rain

narsibvl

I am a very faithful Alaska webcam watcher as well. Check them every day, year round. Watch for me on there next week (Radiance of the Seas) when it is sunny. ;)

Actually I too have consistantly watched weather 'up there'. Except my 'up there' is Denali, where I will be in about 5 weeks. I have, as of last week, been seeing no rain in Denali. Lots of that white stuff, though.

I have put in my order for 50+ and sunshine. I expect some cooperation here!

Doug

Why do people plan trips up here to Alaska and worry about the weather? Southeast Alaska is a rainforest. It's supposed to rain. That's why it's so green and not a brown ugly color like Arizona or California.

Hey, each state has its own beauty. I'm California born and raised and love it. I happen to also be sitting in Arizona right now looking out at the beautiful, yes brown, landscape. Can't wait to see Alaska and it's beautiful and rainy green.

Good luck...We are also on the Radiance this June. I am waiting to catch a glimpse of it soon, it is heading towards Vancouver from Hawaii as we speak :)

Yup, it is coming to pick me up. So I'm sure you will see us up there next week.

I thought the same thing! I keep trying to tell myself to expect rain and then I'll be grateful when it isn't rainy. (As you can tell, these rainy conditions make some people crotchety!;)) So glad I purchased rain pants!

That is the perfect attitude. That is exactly what I tell everyone who is going to Alaska. Plan for rain and you won't be disappointed. But if it is sunny you will be thrilled. Most people have no idea that Alaska is a rain forest.

Yup, it is coming to pick me up. So I'm sure you will see us up there next week.

That is the perfect attitude. That is exactly what I tell everyone who is going to Alaska. Plan for rain and you won't be disappointed. But if it is sunny you will be thrilled. Most people have no idea that Alaska is a rain forest.

Well, all of Alaska is not a rain forest. Only a small portion that we call the pan handle. But that is where the cruises usually go.

Heck, here in midtown Anchorage around noon, it was spitting white stuff again. Didn't last long, but, it sure wasn't rain!

I live here and have rain pants and boots, but, most of the times, I only wear my rain coat, which hits me mid thigh. I also make sure I have a hood or a hat, because the wind and umbrellas don't mix very well sometimes, plus, lots of time you want to have full use of your hands and don't want to worry about an umbrella!

Susan in Anchorage:)

I am a very faithful Alaska webcam watcher as well. Check them every day, year round. Watch for me on there next week (Radiance of the Seas) when it is sunny. ;)

Webcams? I didn't know there were webcams. Where are they?

Thanks for the links, I added them to my favorits, so I can watch every day till I get there... Prepared for rain, hoping for sunshine and wildlife. I know the views will be incredible rain or shine...:D

All the brochures show sunny weather... isn't that what I ordered on my trip personalizer?? :p

Meanwhile, we locals watch the ads for cruises with the sun and glaciers calving on cue and whales leaping right beside the ship's balconies and laugh and laugh. :D

Meanwhile, we locals watch the ads for cruises with the sun and glaciers calving on cue and whales leaping right beside the ship's balconies and laugh and laugh. :D

I'm so old I remember when we used ships as transportation to get to Alaska! And I'd head North with all the stuff I could haul that the family really needed plus nice things like real CHEESE. We didn't worry about the weather because it was usually wet.

My first cruise ship experience to get to Alaska was in 1978 and the ship was tiny by comparison to what are out there now. Very tiny but wonderful with so much luxury! I got on board in Vancouver BC with one suitcase of my own stuff and 3 huge boxes of family requested stuff. My room was so small I used the boxes as furniture for the cruise which ended in Juneau and then Alaska Airlines took all that stuff at no extra charge to Anchorage. Well, I think it was an Alaska Airlines flight. Can't remember! Ouch. Should know that.

Sorry but I can't recall when cruise ships started going north of Juneau.

So when you say rain gear are you referring to rain coat or more? In the planning and purchasing stuff phase of July trip. Is a good rain coat all or should I worry about pants, boots, etc? Mind you this is for a family of 5 so that could add up!

I have to admit wrapping my mind about going on a "rain" vacation is hard to do when you are not used to it.

This is TOTALLY me too! We are used to going to warm type vacations but this year (end of June) we are going to Alaska and I am having the hardest time wrapping my head around packing cold weather stuff as opposed to shorts and tank tops! We are mainly going because my FIL paid for our cabins (there are 19 of us going) so we had to say yes.

However, I AM looking forward to the awesome scenery I keep hearing about and getting tons of pictures :) I just have to dress for the weather and not worry about getting wet!

This is TOTALLY me too! We are mainly going because my FIL paid for our cabins (there are 19 of us going) so we had to say yes.

This may be a little snarky of me but being one on the paying end you really did not have to say yes.... I certainly hope you are properly gracious while onboard with your inlaw(s).

Our 16 kids and g'kids are excited about going and thrilled that all expenses are paid for them to experience what may probably be a once in a lifetime trip to Alaska next month. Oh they are paying for their hotel after they arrive on their Father/FIL paid flight but nothing else.

I think everyone hopes for a sunny vacation. I got my rain pants though and think they are neat. I am sure I will get at least one or two uses out of them. I even wore them out of the store in a downpour. I thank the members here for mentioning I may need them in Alaska.

Don't know why it has the thumbs down... must of hit the wrong button somewhere.

To be perfectly honest, I do not remember whether it rained or not, when we were in Alaska. From the pictures I can tell that it rained a lot, but to me rain was just a part of the charm of traveling in Alaska (or any other rainy place), and did not effect our enjoyment of the place negatively at all.

We just dealt with it by wearing appropriate gear. We had good, quality rainjackets, waterproof boots, and rainpants. I think that it is important to have a quality rainjacket and not something that you would find in a discount store (but ne need for 150 USD jackets, either). I also find rainpants necessary if you are going to be hiking or wondering the country side for anything more than 30 minutes in a downpour.

As far as a protection for camera gear goes, we’ve purchased Rainsleeves.

Archived