Oceania or Regent?

CDD248

TC, you have sooo many posts here on Regent. Do you do anything else? Just wondering.

I am retired as well as Keith, but I sleep more and have other things I need to do for my family. I sign on to CC about twice a day. So are you retired?

Most of my private life is not part of CruiseCritic. My ability to type 100 wpm make my visits to CC short ones. I also multii-task. As my DH tells people who ask...... this is my hobby. This week I have an extraordinary amount of time because we're going on vacation in a few days (yet again:-) In order to cruise as often as possible, I do a heck of a lot of research.

I love the fact that you are able to "sleep more". As I posted on Crystal a while back, while you drive me a bit crazy on CC, I think I would really enjoy your company in real life.:)

Just responding to your point that, although you felt overcharged for excursions on your last Regent cruise, Regent charges less for excursions than Oceania.

If you do not take the excursion on Oceania you do not pay for it. If you do not take the excursion on Regent you do pay for it as it is part of your fare. This is the ultimate overcharging - paying for something you do not want.

If you do not take the excursion on Oceania you do not pay for it. If you do not take the excursion on Regent you do pay for it as it is part of your fare. This is the ultimate overcharging - paying for something you do not want.

Good point and the same for the drinks which unless you make good use of the so called "free liquor" are very expensive.

Just curious TC2, how do you figure that Regent charges less for excursions than O since they are included on the fare on Regent so you don't really know what you are paying per excursion?

To most o cruisers on cc it is a non issue

Most of us do small grouo private excursions where we choose our guide, our itinerary and fellow cruisers to join us. No bus loads for us, even if it were free!

Good point and the same for the drinks which unless you make good use of the so called "free liquor" are very expensive.

Plus 1

Nothing is free on regent. You pay for it all whether you plan to use it or not. Huge disincentive to me

I just got off 21 days on Nautica

I took zero ship sponsored excursions.

Our bar bill was less than $120 (we were gifted two bottles of wine and left one on board)

Now my bill from the fabulous Jordanian jeweler designer on board was huge, but I don't think jewelry is part of regent's all inclusive. Lol.

The Oceania passengers have arrived! pacheco18, thanks for keeping your signature on your post -- I do the same when I'm on other boards:) I did read the thread about your cruise (wonderful itinerary). You have posted that you don't drink much. Your bar bill certainly testifies to that fact. It is great that you were gifted with two bottles of wine. This is not the "norm" but is nice. Unfortunately, it has been posted on the Oceania board that martinis are $12 plus an 18% gratuity and are quite small. For people who enjoy a cocktail before and after dinner or a bottle of wine with dinner, the bar bill would be quite high.

orchestrapal: I think you missed the point a bit. Excursions are provided by outside companies -- not by Regent and take place off of the ship Regent passengers are permitted to opt out of airfare and/or pre-night hotel (also provided by outside vendors). What many Regent guests have requested is that we have the ability to opt out. All luxury cruise lines include alcohol, tips, etc. This is something that is provided by the cruise line -- on the ship -- served by Regent employees. No one really expects that you can opt out of onboard services.

In any event, Regent is not going to stop their included excursions any time soon -- it draws customers. Fortunately, both Oceania and Regent are doing well financially and are filling their ships. Some people will want the Oceania experience and others the Regent experience. It's all good!

Folks - At the risk of "stirring the pot" one more time - or digging up that "old mare" so we can again, beat her to death :eek:.......I'm not quite sure why this debate (O vs R) seems to "pop up" every few months and go on endlessly. The thread might more accurately be titled "My Dad can beat up your Dad". No company (either O or R) is "forcing" anyone to purchase their respective product/s. If you don't think a particular cruiseline meets your particular needs (amenities/features vs price), then simply don't buy the product! But I don't see the (pointless) gain in criticizing others that do - other than trying to convince others (and perhaps themselves) that they have made the "wisest" purchase decision? It sounds like a bunch of Lincoln owners trying to convince a bunch of Cadillac owners that each other is "wasting" their respective money, when neither product is exactly "shabby"! There seems to be enough satisfied customers (and discretionary income available) who like both O and R - to keep both cruiselines in business and keep all manifests fully booked. For part of each year I live in an area (WV) where most of the residents are just trying to afford the next bag of groceries, or put clothes on their kids, or are cutting medications in half to make them last longer. And here we are, debating whether our next (of many) cruises should be on O or R?! :mad: When none of us on these threads are apparently having to make food vs. heating oil decisions, how can either choice (O or R) be a "mistake"? So, deciding which wine (in Signatures OR GDR) we're going to have with our dinner is all bit surreal! Try working in a community food bank and looking at the empty shelves and deciding which person standing in line gets to take home the last available can of soup for that day! So disregarding the fact that "life is not fair/equal" (sorry for the sermon - it's been a tough week), I'm not understanding why some O-fans seem to be trying to convince Regent stalwarts that Regent is "over-priced". Who cares? Money (for any of them) doesn't seem to be a problem here. Obviously, anyone who signs up for an R cruise (OR an O cruise) can afford it or they wouldn't be there. And by the same token, I'm not understanding why R loyalists are wasting their time trying to convince O-fans that Regent represents "better value for the money"? Who cares?! The "O's" seem to like what they're getting for the price they're paying, as well. Or am I missing the real point here, that the debate is just all in "good fun" and that it is just "recreational and theraputic"? :D Let's pray for all of those living in the midwest at the moment, who are having to dig out from the tornadoes. Best regards to all.

Pingpong,

Your post makes a lot of sense. We are all different---with different likes and dislikes. What is important to one, is not to another. What is acceptable to one person, may not be to another. One person needs a new ship, while another is happy with an older one.

We are all so fortunate here to be able to cruise on luxury lines. To tell you the truth, the only person's opinion here I listen to is my own!! I know what I like and don't like on a cruiseship and what is important to me. I wouldn't presume to convince another here, because they have different expectations.

At present, I probably won't cruise Oceania because I don't like the layout and room size of their smaller ships and their larger ships are too large for me. If the right itinerary came up, I would overlook my current opinion. For others here, Oceania is a perfect fit. I do think it's ridiculous that the cheerleaders for any line believe their opinion is the most credible. That is why I never read cruise reviews or would take them with a grain of salt.

pingpong1,

These boards are literally filled with thousands of threads comparing different cruise lines. Or as I call them, lawsuit threads....one line vs. another. I think the reason there have been so many Regent vs O lately is that first, both are owned by the same company, and second, since the introduction of the Marina and Riviera the lines are less drawn between the two

than they were before.

Michael,

I agree completely that paying for unwanted excursions is the ultimate scam. What started out in 2008 as a way to attract passengers during the downturn in the economy (when they really did include the excursions for free) has become a money making program since they have raised the fares to cover those excursions. Regent has clearly taken its cue from the airlines. Soon they'll advertise that the first checked bag is free!

pingpong1, One of the best written posts I've seen in a long time. My DW started a food closet in Pawtucket, RI and some of the clients were trying to feed small children despite empty cabinets at home. We now live in a wealthy community, but there is still need.

We are all fortunate to be able to indulge ourselves, but as DW says "I'm not going unless we've done our fair share."

Sorry you had a bad week; but I know where you are coming from.

Hope your next cruise, on whatever line, will pay you back for your charitable efforts.

Although the thread, in various forms, pops up quite regularly, I am always interested in it because I am not rusted on to any one cruise line. I am fortunate to have done cruises on all of Silversea, Seabourn and Regent because my decision making process is first to think about the timing and destination then look at what lines fit those criteria. Cost then comes into the equation. So roll on the comparisons!

Equally, it comes up quite often that we are lucky to be able to afford any cruise so be grateful. It always makes me recall my mother's argument: "Eat your vegetables and think of the starving kids in India." I agree fully but as I'm fortunate to be in a position to make a choice I like to be as fully informed as I can before making it. I am more than capable of overcoming the loyalist prejudices and seeing through to the facts on the rare occasions they do appear!

Sweet travels-

Quintessential response from Crystal that you represent so well. "Style over substance".

Take a midol and go back to your Norovirus ship.

Like the Norovirus has not visited all lines including Regent. :rolleyes:

Archived