Oceania or Regent?

CDD248

We are considering a cruise later this year and the exact itinerary is available on Oceania and Regent. We've been on both of the ships used for this itinerary, but not for a couple of years. Anyone recently on these lines who could comment on the food, drinks, service, entertainment, etc? We are considering a PH on each. Regent would cost more, however, everything's included, which evens the playing field when you factor in airfare, tips, cocktails, and excursions that we'd pay for on Oceania. Any recommendations either way? Thanks for any info.

Which ships are you considering? There is a big difference, for instance, between the Riviera and the smaller ships and the Mariner and Navigator. Also, Oceania is running specials that include internet and tips..... is the cruise you are thinking about one of the specials? Last, since you have been on both cruise lines, which did you prefer at the time you sailed?

You mentioned airfares as a difference, but both Regent and Oceania include economy air, and both give about the same air credits. And of course PH's can be of different sizes, so you might want to factor that into the price comparison.

I would look closely at the two itineraries to see if the details of one are better than the other. Sometimes port times are different, for example.

I haven't cruised Oceania yet, but word is the food is better, and service is just as good.

You don't need to be limited. I felt like I was in Jail on Regent. Just so many days and no more. I hate the MDR, so that was not a good thing!

Why did you feel like you were in jail? Did Regent serve only bread and water?

You don't need to be limited. I felt like I was in Jail on Regent. Just so many days and no more. I hate the MDR, so that was not a good thing!

Carol, I don't understand your comment at all. Oh, I think you mean the specialty restaurants? Your limit on how many times you can dine there? Do you hate Compass Rose as well as the MDR on Oceania? Or did you mean CR? Oceania also has a quota on specialty dining, although I've read it's sometimes easy to get extra reservations on O, just like it is on Regent! I've met people who rarely ate in CR, just strolling by Signatures or Prime 7 every night and usually being seated because of cancellations.

We were on the Riviera last summer for 10 days and never ate in the GDR. The speciality restaurants were so great, and the Grill a delight that we had no desire to eat in the GDR. We were a family of 5, able to get a reservation for every night in one of the speciality restaurants and cancelled one or two to dine in the Grill. We are past Regent cruisers and the food is so much better on Oceania that the Riviera is our ship of choice again this summer and we are booked on her in July of 2014 too.

Thanks for your replies. The ships involved in our decision are the Marina and the Mariner. I had read somewhere on this board that drinks on Oceania were overpriced and skimpy. I don't mind paying for drinks (as opposed to open bar), but I'd like them to be decent quality drinks. And I believe I read the excursions on Oceania were overpriced. They are included on Regent, so whether they are great or just average, at least we won't feel overcharged. We did enjoy eating at the Terrace each evening on Oceania Marina several years ago, as we like the ability to choose just a tasting of various things and then pick what we want to have for a full serving. And the cocktails back then were good, but we were on one of the first few sailings. When we were on Regent Mariner, we recall the wonderful steak restaurant, and they had a fairly active passenger base for ship activities, which we enjoy. It's also nice not getting a bill to deal with at the end. I do appreciate the input from all, and the various points to consider. Thanks!

T And I believe I read the excursions on Oceania were overpriced. They are included on Regent, so whether they are great or just average, at least we won't feel overcharged. Thanks!

The fact that they are included in the overall price didn't stop me feeling overcharged for excursions on my last Regent cruise. The more so as one or two were not very good. And if you don't take them you are definitely overcharged.

The fact that they are included in the overall price didn't stop me feeling overcharged for excursions on my last Regent cruise. The more so as one or two were not very good. And if you don't take them you are definitely overcharged.

Perhaps you should try Crystal. They don't include excursions, and you might feel as if their experience is better, given the price paid. For us, Regent has been the better deal, but YMMV.

I did a exact comparison between a Regent premium excursion (with a cost) and an Oceania excursion. The Oceania excursion was more than twice the price. This was for one of the best Regent excursions we have ever taken (a two Michelin star restaurant for lunch in Italy).

I did a exact comparison between a Regent premium excursion (with a cost) and an Oceania excursion. The Oceania excursion was more than twice the price. This was for one of the best Regent excursions we have ever taken (a two Michelin star restaurant for lunch in Italy).

I've had great excursions on Regent. I've also had bad ones. My point is that I'd rather choose myself than pay for them whether I want them or not. I'm not sure what point you are making but mine was to differ from the OP who said : "They are included on Regent, so whether they are great or just average, at least we won't feel overcharged. "

during last cruise planned.With Regent my TA give 5% total cash back,so if ALL my excursions,drinks,rest.charges,tips are included,I get MORE MONEY back.haha.Did book an Oceania(have been on 1 before) for Sept.just for itinerary and dates).But now having to pay for all these things separately with NO discount back.boo hoo.Oh,had to PAY to upgrade to PH for tub,hot breakfast with room service,and larger cabin TOO.So do your research on ALL the DETAILS.;)

Perhaps you should try Crystal. They don't include excursions, and you might feel as if their experience is better, given the price paid. For us, Regent has been the better deal, but YMMV.

I keep trying to avoid saying this so many times, but for us, there's more to the equation than how much does it cost.

I feel that those of us who are fortunate to be able to sail on this class of ship may have a total experience to consider other than how long it took to be served...is the carpet too worn, etc.

Each ship has its own personality that prevails, and to us that is most important.

In all our years with Regent, we have found a feeling that moves us to continue sailing with them.

Psychologically it satisfies us primarily because we pay once up front and never have to dig into our pockets again. Math is not my forte...comfort and pleasure transcend. Again, the total experience..

Sure, once in a while something goes wrong...so what...can anyone say that in their lives this doesn't happen with some frequency....so what do you do...you take it in its stride, weighing the good against the bad.

Granted, if things are constantly going downhill, then maybe a change is in order, but we love Regent even with the occasional blemish.

We love the class of people we've met who sail over and over with them and simply like the relaxed environment they offer.

We're way too old to worry about anything except for the well being of our kids...our health....and of course a few bucks in the pocket in order to be able to enjoy this lifestyle..We've pretty much been everywhere we have wanted to go and at our age are not looking to explore any more new frontiers.

I keep trying to avoid saying this so many times, but for us, there's more to the equation than how much does it cost.

I feel that those of us who are fortunate to be able to sail on this class of ship may have a total experience to consider other than how long it took to be served...is the carpet too worn, etc.

Each ship has its own personality that prevails, and to us that is most important.

In all our years with Regent, we have found a feeling that moves us to continue sailing with them.

Psychologically it satisfies us primarily because we pay once up front and never have to dig into our pockets again. Math is not my forte...comfort and pleasure transcend. Again, the total experience..

Sure, once in a while something goes wrong...so what...can anyone say that in their lives this doesn't happen with some frequency....so what do you do...you take it in its stride, weighing the good against the bad.

Granted, if things are constantly going downhill, then maybe a change is in order, but we love Regent even with the occasional blemish.

We love the class of people we've met who sail over and over with them and simply like the relaxed environment they offer.

We're way too old to worry about anything except for the well being of our kids...our health....and of course a few bucks in the pocket in order to be able to enjoy this lifestyle..We've pretty much been everywhere we have wanted to go and at our age are not looking to explore any more new frontiers.

Responder- I agree.

My husband and I booked a cruise on Oceania for December in the Caribbean. He is now having second thoughts. We leave in a few days for Alaska on Regent. He mentioned that we pretty much don't even need to bring cash as everything is included as well as the extra excursions we had purchased. We checked out the excursions offered by O in December. They are double if not three times the price of those offered by Celebrity for the identical excursion from the same supplier.

Yes, in doing the math, Regent may price out a bit higher in the end, but once we add in the extras, O is not far behind and may even cost more.

I am heartened by all the comments that food and service is superior on O but I will also state that Regent is also very, very good and you are able to order "off the menu" as well.

I've had great excursions on Regent. I've also had bad ones. My point is that I'd rather choose myself than pay for them whether I want them or not. I'm not sure what point you are making but mine was to differ from the OP who said : "They are included on Regent, so whether they are great or just average, at least we won't feel overcharged. "

Just responding to your point that, although you felt overcharged for excursions on your last Regent cruise, Regent charges less for excursions than Oceania.

Just curious TC2, how do you figure that Regent charges less for excursions than O since they are included on the fare on Regent so you don't really know what you are paying per excursion?

Good question. Regent states that their "free" excursions cost up to $129. So, if they are charging $100 for an excursion, I'm assuming that the excursion cost is $100 over their maximum for included excursions , in this case, the cost would be $229. When Oceania is charging close to $500 for the same excursion, it seems very expensive to me. Obviously, these are assumptions.

I've been studying the Oceania boards recently and noticed that many Oceania passengers get together and do small group or private excursions. IMO, this is the best way to take excursions. While paying for excursions in my cruise fare is annoying, it is not a deal breaker for us. I am curious why Silversea and Seabourn passengers are not actively trying to get groups together for excursions (note: I omit Crystal because I do not read their boards).

TC, you do read the Crystal boards and you have posted there. You also seem to know a lot about Crystal when posting on the Regent board.:rolleyes: I can copy and paste it here if you like.

You are kinda right. I read Crystal boards occasionally - usually when something is written/posted about Crystal that leaks onto other boards. What I do read is the Crystal website to learn prices, etc. I read Silversea, Regent and Oceania daily boards -- Seabourn 2-3 times a week. I have a very dear friend that used to rave about Crystal. Since her last cruise, she won't even cruise on Crystal. It was around that time that I lost the little interest that I had in Crystal. At the moment, besides for sailing on Regent and Silversea, I have a slight interest in Oceania. I probably read Oceania more than Regent at the moment.

TC, you have sooo many posts here on Regent. Do you do anything else? Just wondering.

I am retired as well as Keith, but I sleep more and have other things I need to do for my family. I sign on to CC about twice a day. So are you retired?

Archived