Cruise from Boston with parents and 10 year old daughter, is Waltham, MA ok to stay

The OP has two threads running on this topic (the other is on the East Coast departures forum). Unfortunately, their budget for a room seems to be under $200 for a single room for 5 people. While the hotel in Waltham is not ideal, and would not be recommended in most cases, it will suit their purpose.

Of course, they will stay where they want as they should. Whether a stay in Boston or Waltham, they choose but they are quite different choices.

If they don't care, it is none of my concern or business where they go. As someone proud of our city and knowing how much they will be missing, I am just trying to be helpful. I hope I am not being too pushy. Perhaps the info is helpful for someone else if not for OP. Everyone takes from these forums what they want :) and leaves that which they don't agree with or care for.

Of course, they will stay where they want as they should. Whether a stay in Boston or Waltham, they choose but they are quite different choices.

If they don't care, it is none of my concern or business where they go. As someone proud of our city and knowing how much they will be missing, I am just trying to be helpful. I hope I am not being too pushy. Perhaps the info is helpful for someone else if not for OP. Everyone takes from these forums what they want :) and leaves that which they don't agree with or care for.

I don't think you are pushy. It is great that you are proud of Boston. We love helping people that are visiting NYC too. The advise has been great from everyone. It is the information I needed to make an informed decision. Unfortunately the budget does have to come in to mind with us, but I'm trying to make it all work out. My daughter is excited about Boston because she studied about it this year in history class. Taking her to visit is the best education she will ever get. Thank-you very much for all of your thoughts and information.

You may be on our cruise. Is it Glory? A lot of us are staying at Marriott Copley. If you do the comparison price thing, you can get a room for $112. That's what we did. Come over to our roll call and you can find out more.

I would pick up the telephone and call the hotel directly and explain you are going on the same cruise as some others who are staying there at $112 the night and ask if you can have the same deal. for one night I would think with 2 queen or king beds you could stuff the 11yo between the two of you. I would think it worth something to step out the door and see Boston and not screw with trains, etc. plus the ease of getting to the port.

if enough cruisers are staying at this hotel maybe you can work a shuttle to the port and then spend one night at the hotel when you return. they may let you folks leave your cars there. might be worth s shot.

I haven't cruised from Boston yet (I am this summer), but I did attend college up there at Tufts, which is in Medford/Somerville. While I won't comment too extensively on your hotel conundrum as I completely understand your need to stay within budget, I feel compelled to recommend that you do not try to drive around Boston. Regardless of where you stay, take the T, as Boston is very difficult to navigate by car. The T is super easy to navigate and is quite safe and convenient. If you do choose to stay in Waltham and drive to Alewife, it isn't too long of a T ride into the center of the city. If you want to be a bit closer to the city and still try to find lower prices, you might want to look at the few places in Medford or Somerville. They are not "upscale" towns, but they are safe (I used to walk home to my dorm from the T after waitressing at night all the time) and the Davis Square T stop is nearby and shaves some time off of your T ride into the city. Anyway, definitely take advantage of the trains and of the fact that Boston is an awesome city for walking (ah, I am getting nostalgic) :) Have fun!

I haven't cruised from Boston yet (I am this summer), but I did attend college up there at Tufts, which is in Medford/Somerville. While I won't comment too extensively on your hotel conundrum as I completely understand your need to stay within budget, I feel compelled to recommend that you do not try to drive around Boston. Regardless of where you stay, take the T, as Boston is very difficult to navigate by car. The T is super easy to navigate and is quite safe and convenient. If you do choose to stay in Waltham and drive to Alewife, it isn't too long of a T ride into the center of the city. If you want to be a bit closer to the city and still try to find lower prices, you might want to look at the few places in Medford or Somerville. They are not "upscale" towns, but they are safe (I used to walk home to my dorm from the T after waitressing at night all the time) and the Davis Square T stop is nearby and shaves some time off of your T ride into the city. Anyway, definitely take advantage of the trains and of the fact that Boston is an awesome city for walking (ah, I am getting nostalgic) :) Have fun!

Thank-you for the advise. I'll check Medford/Somerville for hotels because the closer the better. Thanks for the advise about not driving in Boston. Driving in NYC is easy so I tend to think if I can drive here I can drive anywhere. We will have to drive and park to go to the port, otherwise, we will take the train. Have fun on your vacation too!

I would not recommend staying in Waltham. I have been to that hotel for business meetings. It is in an area that is full of large office buildings with hotels and a few restaurants mixed in. Its right off a major highway. Go to google maps and zoom in to get a better feel for it. Its not a bad hotel, just not a vacation type of place.

It may cost $50 more to stay in Boston, but if you are drive in you will have to pay for parking and tolls, plus you get the added bonus of getting lost in Boston where GPS don't work very well. I know the city fairly well so I frequently ignore my GPS but if you don't know it, you will just go where it tells you.

Archived