Religious services on board?

darleen1421

This is our first Oceania cruise. We will be in Hoonah on the Sunday, and there is no Mass there that day. Does anyone know if here is a religious service of any kind onboard the Regatta? On another note, are there any bingo games? We always enjoy them on other cruise lines.

We were cruising on Easter Sunday and there was a non-denominational service led by the cruise director on-board. We were in port in Livorno and many passengers attended services at local churches.

Another option would be to use the internet to watch Mass. In my experience there are very few cruise-lines that have priests on-board.

I believe only Costa and HAL.

We were cruising on Easter Sunday and there was a non-denominational service led by the cruise director on-board. We were in port in Livorno and many passengers attended services at local churches.

Another option would be to use the internet to watch Mass. In my experience there are very few cruise-lines that have priests on-board.

On our first O cruise -- about 10 years ago -- there was a cantor on board who led Jewish services for passengers in the Chapel. But that's the only time I can remember when regular services were held.

How you would go about figuring out if a priest is on board is beyond me however. I would think that if one is on board he would make it known in some fashion. There is a room that can be used for the purpose and the possibility probably would be announced in the Daily Currents.

As I recall that the QE2 DID have a Catholic priest on board (it's a long time ago so I could be wrong here) but no other denomination, and I think that's the only ship we were ever on that did have a clergyman (of any faith) on board as a regular matter.

Good luck!

Mura

On regent, they have services on Sunday which are non denominational, often led by the CD. A few cruises have had a priest aboard to do mass. And several have had rabbis who led sabbath services. Haven't sailed on Oceania yet, but would expect it to much the same as they are run by the same company.

If in port, you of course can attend services on land. We have gone to church in some very interesting places over the years. In Ecuador, we were treated as honored guests at First Baptist Church. And we went to the Methodist church in Bermuda which was wonderful.

Silversea had a Catholic priest on board for Easter. Also a Rabbi and his wife, for Passover.Silversea also utilised them as tour guides.

The same Rabbi was also on Seabourn some time later....with his wife

Thanks Deborah. We will be in Hoonah on Sunday and there is no Mass there that day because the Priest will be at one of his missions. There are two daily Masses on Friday in Juneau, but they arev12:05 and 12:10. Our ship docks at 1 PM. We will hope for a non denominational service. HAL has a priest on most ships who says daily Mass.

Thanks everyone.

• 3 weeks later...
On our first O cruise -- about 10 years ago -- there was a cantor on board who led Jewish services for passengers in the Chapel. But that's the only time I can remember when regular services were held.

How you would go about figuring out if a priest is on board is beyond me however. I would think that if one is on board he would make it known in some fashion. There is a room that can be used for the purpose and the possibility probably would be announced in the Daily Currents.

As I recall that the QE2 DID have a Catholic priest on board (it's a long time ago so I could be wrong here) but no other denomination, and I think that's the only ship we were ever on that did have a clergyman (of any faith) on board as a regular matter.

Good luck!

Mura

I took a Mediterranean cruise on the Insignia October 15, 2011 and the cruise director, who was Jewish, conducted the 1st Friday evening service and passengers conducted our own service on the 2nd Friday. All of the other cruises that I have taken provide challah and wine although passengers might have to lead services on their own.

Bonnie

Crystal frequently has both a priest and a rabbi ( and his wife) on board. The priest will conduct mass for the guests and a separate one for crew. There is always a rabbi on the World Cruise. He conducts sea day discussions called 'Rap with the Rabbi," which are well attended by guests of all faiths, as well as Friday night services. The rabbi will conduct a Passover Seder, too. We were on Marina for Passover in 2012, and the Asst CD, JR Lustig, who is not Jewish, did a great job leading the Passover Seder! For holidays such as Christmas and Easter, a minister is usually on board.

Ricki

Archived