Lido Music = too darn loud!!!!!!!!!!

WayTooCool

Very true.

Also, faster beats make people want to drink up quicker, thus consuming more in a shorter period of time.

A study on this showed than when a bar's music was 72 decibels, people ordered an average of 2.6 drinks and took 14.5 minutes to finish one. But when the volume was turned up to 88 decibels, customers ordered an average of 3.4 drinks and took 11.5 minutes to finish each one.

It's all about Carnival making more revenue, folks. Customer satisfaction is not part of the equation here.

No wonder ,Carnival keeps getting sued over drunk people falling off the ship .:rolleyes:

The Little Woman and I recently did a B2B on the Fascination; love the boat, HATE the painfully loud "music" on the Lido Deck! We could not sit on the Lido, enjoy our cheeseburger extravaganza lunch with our friends because you couldn't shout to be heard. Not good! Not good!!!

Probably being petty, but I saw a few people sitting there holding their ears. How do you successfully complain to Carnival? I know they've cut cruise expenses by no longer paying performers such as the wonderful pan performers, but jeeze looeeze, over-amplified ANY kind of music is just painful, regardless if it is rap country or classical. Intrusively loud is too blankity blank loud!!

I agree! The DJ music is too loud and the ships that have the jumbotron TV screens play them too loud as well. I used to love sitting on the Lido, but the noise has literally chased me away. I have sailed mostly Conquest Class ships in recent years and have found solace on Deck 10 towards the rear.

Perhaps the Cruise Director could mingle with people on the Lido (and other venues) and solicit their opinions. I'm sure the noise subject would come up, if it wasn't too loud to converse.

Other posters have mentioned that the CD responded when a complaint was made about the sound volume that the decibel level is a company wide policy and there is nothing that can be done.

Whether this policy is true or the CD was blowing off the complaint, I have no idea.

Very true.

Also, faster beats make people want to drink up quicker, thus consuming more in a shorter period of time.

A study on this showed than when a bar's music was 72 decibels, people ordered an average of 2.6 drinks and took 14.5 minutes to finish one. But when the volume was turned up to 88 decibels, customers ordered an average of 3.4 drinks and took 11.5 minutes to finish each one.

It's all about Carnival making more revenue, folks. Customer satisfaction is not part of the equation here.

Ah, yes that MAY be true but when you go from 800 people drinking at 2.6 drinks per 14.5 min. at 72 db to 9 people drinking 3.4 drinks per 11.5 min. at 88 db where is your profit margin then?

After owning a weekend mobile DJ business and over 500 weddings and events from me and my team I might know what too loud is.

We've sailed aboard the Conquest and Triumph on several cruises and I carried my iPhone with decibel meter up to the lido deck. Just walking from fore to aft generated 91db, or enough to be uncomfortable. I verified the iPhone app with the meter at church where I lead the sound team for a 1500 seat sanctuary.

It's too loud, but it's that way for a reason. The theory is loud music generates more people moving around and spending money on drinks, or at least that's Carnival's logic. Not sure I agree, but when I talked with a friends son doing a 6 month tech rotation he shared this with me.

The sad thing is the quality of sound system is such they don't need to turn it up loud.

Regarding the mix, some DJ's love the remix versions of songs. They are longer, and allow for a "professional" sound at cross-fade with very little effort. If you doubt this go download Virtual DJ Free Edition and couple of dance tracks from iTunes and you are the funk master of your home.

This is just my opinion, it's not wrong, it might not be right in your mind.

The National Campaign for Hearing Health's Toxic Noise Guidelines (exposure times and decibel levels that cause hearing loss)

85 dB 8-hour period

85 - 90 dB 2-hour period

90 - 100 dB 1 to 2-hour period

100 - 110 between 2 and 15 minutes

110 - 120 less than 30 seconds

130 dB ANY EXPOSURE WILL RESULT IN PERMANENT HEARING LOSS

Maggie

With so many people here agreeing with the OP, one must assume there must be at least a fair amount of people who complain while onboard. If that's the case, I don't understand why they simply just can't turn down the volume control a bit. Maybe there's some instruction to whoever controls the music, to adjust the volume to "x" and that's it. I know I'd ask any passing crewmember to see what they could do about it if it was really that loud, not that I'd get any satisfaction, but I'd ask nonetheless.

We bring ear plugs to the shows and avoid the lido deck when they blast the music. Once we were watching a Tom Jones concert on the outdoor screen and asked to have it toned down a bit but it never happened. Without hearing protection after a music show or an hour on lido deck my ears ring for hours.

My last cruise on Carnival was with the very loud music, and I mentioned it in the survey plus the service desk on the ship.

My solution was to book my next five cruises on another cruise line.

If some like the loud music, they can have my space on future cruises.

The Carnival cruise was very good except for the loud noise (some call music)

What is your definition of loud? Again, its like food...very subjective

My last cruise on Carnival was with the very loud music, and I mentioned it in the survey plus the service desk on the ship.

My solution was to book my next five cruises on another cruise line.

If some like the loud music, they can have my space on future cruises.

The Carnival cruise was very good except for the loud noise (some call music)

What is your definition of loud? Again, its like food...very subjective

Nope, loud like speed is quite easily measured. Sound is measured in db, decibels.

The post above yours the first time you asked this questions gives the standards for too loud.

The National Campaign for Hearing Health's Toxic Noise Guidelines (exposure times and decibel levels that cause hearing loss)

85 dB 8-hour period

85 - 90 dB 2-hour period

90 - 100 dB 1 to 2-hour period

100 - 110 between 2 and 15 minutes

110 - 120 less than 30 seconds

130 dB ANY EXPOSURE WILL RESULT IN PERMANENT HEARING LOSS

Therefore a 1-2 hour exposure to the 91 db level on the lido as measured by blusry will cause hearing loss & is too loud. If it was that loud at your workplace, you would have to wear hearing protection.

80 -85 db is good & loud . Some people haves sensitivity due to previous medical conditions and many have hearing loss, but generally anything exceeding this range is too loud.

I define loud as sitting next to someone in the same lido chair and having to lean to the other persons ear to hear a dang word... come on now..

I love my music loud... but would also like it to not be so loud someone has to sit on my lap so we can hear each other... or scream from one seat to the next... right beside each other.

Archived