Regent Becomes Latest Cruise Line to Scale Back in Europe

LauraS

I believe Regent is cutting back in Europe because there is less of a demand for Med cruises and far too many ships sailing there. I wish more lines would follow Regent's example and come up with different and new itineraries.

I believe Regent is cutting back in Europe because there is less of a demand for Med cruises and far too many ships sailing there. I wish more lines would follow Regent's example and come up with different and new itineraries.

This is why we sail on HAL Prinsendam. She was previously with a luxury line, so her cabins have walk in closets, large bathrooms and are larger than average. I don't think there is a ship out there with more unusual itineraries. In 2014, we will have an overnight in Istanbul, visit Volos, Kavala and Thesoloniki in Greece, Constanta, Romania and Burgas, Bulgaria along with Cesme, Turkey ( along with the typical Black Sea ports) on a 16 night cruise. We are doing one similar to Regent in Sept---to Bordeaux, and other interesting ports not on Regent's cruise. She is not your typical mass market ship and commands a higher price, but not as high as Regent. She is the only ship I would sail other than Regent,at the moment!

I know you guys have never been to those ports!! I agree that the typical Med cruise is really overdone. Because of it, if you don't mind sailing on a large mass market ship, the prices are unbelievably cheap. Glad that Regent is coming up with new itineraries---would like to take advantage of the business class upgrade someday!

Many long-term Regent customers are applauding Regent's move. We have been asking (begging?) for new itineraries for some time. Not only did they make a huge move, they had to redo countless itineraries for months where there were passengers already booked on cruises. This must have been a big effort.

It is interesting that the last poster brought up HAL -- that is one cruise line that has not pulled many of their ships out of Europe (at least I haven't heard about them doing so). Unfortunately, for many Regent customers (myself included), the loyalty benefits are too good on Regent to give up to sail on another cruise line -- at least not for something that is still offered on Regent.

Many long-term Regent customers are applauding Regent's move. We have been asking (begging?) for new itineraries for some time. Not only did they make a huge move, they had to redo countless itineraries for months where there were passengers already booked on cruises. This must have been a big effort.

It is interesting that the last poster brought up HAL -- that is one cruise line that has not pulled many of their ships out of Europe (at least I haven't heard about them doing so). Unfortunately, for many Regent customers (myself included), the loyalty benefits are too good on Regent to give up to sail on another cruise line -- at least not for something that is still offered on Regent.

TC, as usual, you have misunderstood my intent. I am not promoting any other HAL ships or itineraries. I was merely saying that this particular ship outdoes Regent in itineraries. The problem now is, we've been to everywhere they now sail in Europe--on both lines. I am looking forward to Regent's new European itineraries. We are not interested in going to third world countries, for many reasons. Have to admit we didn't get off Navigator in many of the ports in the Caribbean!

If I were to guess why HAL hasn't pulled their other ships out of Europe is because HAL attracts a more well traveled clientele than say RCCL or NCL. I believe they are able to fill their ships in Europe. From what I have seen, the other HAL ships have some pretty decent itineraries, which are usually longer than a week.

Aren't you impressed with the new ports I will be sailing to? I'll bet most people haven't heard of many of them---myself included.

There are still plenty of cruises involving the Med on Regent. I am happy they are redoing the itineraries and trying some new ports. Just booked the new Viking sh for Bergen to Stockholm as regent isn't going to Norway much anymore.

There are still plenty of cruises involving the Med on Regent. I am happy they are redoing the itineraries and trying some new ports. Just booked the new Viking sh for Bergen to Stockholm as regent isn't going to Norway much anymore.

Really curious as to why you made this booking. There is nothing that I heard/read about this new cruise line that sounds remotely "premium" or "luxury". I usually understand your bookings but this one has me puzzled.

LindaM: Specifically what "new" European ports are you referring to? I could have missed it since many of us are looking at the new and exciting itineraries on other continents. Have you tried visiting developing countries (or, as you posted "third world countries"?) Really recommend giving the Mariner and/or Voyager a try and perhaps even changing your view of the world by visiting some of these incredible ports. I realize that everyone is different, but, we have had tears in our eyes when leaving some ports in developing countries - something that has never happened in Europe (although we do enjoy Europe for a quickie, fairly inexpensive vacation).

Archived