Question for those who have arrived late 1st day

cdn.cruiser

I would like to hear from anyone who took the O air and was to arrive the same day as the cruise and got delayed and didn't arrive on time to depart the first day of the cruise.

The boards have told me that O will take care of you however others say you have the cheap seats so to speak on the plane and you will be the last to be rescheduled.

I don't mind arriving a day late to the cruise if O picks up the tab. I know it is safer to arrive a day earlier, so please don't tell me that.

I would like to hear from those who took O air, suppose to arrive the same day and didn't make it. Please let me know what happened. Was it a horror story or did things go smoothly? Did you catch the cruise the next day or later?

We will be arriving into Barcelona. The day after sail away is a sea day, the next day is in tangiers, morocco.

Thanks in advance.

I asked the same "what if " questions to my TA. We sail from Miami to Barcelona.

She said if O air doesn't get us there in time to make the ship, it is their responsibility to get us to the next port, which would be Bermuda 2 or 3 days later. However, she wasn't sure O would pick up the hotel tab for those nights.

We decided we'll be booking our own air and arriving in Miami the day before.

I asked the same "what if " questions to my TA. We sail from Miami to Barcelona.

She said if O air doesn't get us there in time to make the ship, it is their responsibility to get us to the next port, which would be Bermuda 2 or 3 days later. However, she wasn't sure O would pick up the hotel tab for those nights.

We decided we'll be booking our own air and arriving in Miami the day before.

I hope that you made a decision that you are happy with, but you need a new Travel Agent.

If you use Oceania Air and miss the Cruise, then the Cruise Line pays for everything until you get onto the ship.

We haven't had that specific problem, thank goodness, but were using Oceania Air arrangements when the maiden voyage of the Riviera had to be rescheduled several times, and doing so not only saved our neck financially, but the Oceania Air Dept was an absolute DREAM to deal with. They could not have been more supportive and proactive if we were blood relations.

I missed a domestic US flight connection to an O cruise due to weather conditions. Although i had booked Oceania air, all O said all they were responsible for was getting me to the original departure port, but not necessarily on time. They did that. However, they did also pay for the air from that port to the next port.

They would not, although there was a flight leaving from the next gate in ATL, pay for or have the airline book me to the next port on a direct flight.

They would not pay for any incidental expenses relating to the delay. They included:

1. Hotel while we stayed in ATL overnight (paid by the airline)

2. Food costs overnight and in the morning (paid through my insurance)

3. Hotel in the new port (paid by my insurance)

They did provide a transfer from the hotel to the ship in the new port. Note that I had paid O for transfers originally.

You definitely cannot count on Oceania, and the same probably applies for other cruise lines, to pay all your expenses relating to a delayed arrival.

I've never been personally involved in such a late arrival although I know a couple of people who were. They weren't entirely happy with the way things turned out but these incidents were also quite a while ago.

When we did our first O cruise, a B2B: LA to Costa Rica, Costa Rica to Miami via the Panama Canal. Whether delayed a small number of passengers (maybe 20? I never knew) who were flying into Costa Rica and the Captain decided to leave on time because otherwise we would have lost our position going through the Canal.

So those passengers no doubt missed the Canal passage, which would have been the main reason (in my view) for taking the cruise. I never talked to any of them personally so I don't know more than that.

But this is why we always make it a point to fly in early -- whether we have arranged our own air or are using O's air with a deviation. Besides, we usually want to spend some time in the departure city anyway.

Note: I just checked our itinerary for that particular cruise. We left Costa Rica on 2/6/04. The next day was a sea day and the day after that (2/8) was the Panama Canal crossing. 2/9 was supposed to have been the San Blas Archipelago but that port was cancelled because weather was so poor (this is a tender port). Next day was a sea day and THEN Aruba on 2/11.

It does sound to me like those passengers who missed the departure on 2/6 would have missed half the cruise. It would be interesting to know what happened to them ... I think I would have wanted a full refund!

Mura

You definitely cannot count on Oceania, and the same probably applies for other cruise lines, to pay all your expenses relating to a delayed arrival.

Sort of debunks the party line.

In today's world it is all about the fine print. You can not assume the line will take care of you if your air is delayed just because you got it from them. People say all sorts of stuff, if it is not in print it is not real.

The only person I trust to get me to the ship on time is me

im the one who cares the most about getting there

I'm the only one with anything to lose

You got that one right.

We flew into Barcelona May 2010 4 days early for our cruises on O.

Remember the volcano in Iceland?

Not only did many people miss the first day which was held up in Barcelona until the second day to await late arriving passengers but did not

make it to the ship until the 5th or 6th day. O was trying hard to get

folks there but in real emergencies such as this one groups loose out. The folks traveling alone made it there sooner by being able to rearrange their flights for two rather than for 22.

Archived