Best Snorkeling Destinations In The Caribbean?

What are the most noteworthy and unique snorkeling destinations in the Caribbean? I've done a fair bit of snorkeling in Florida and some in the Bahamas, and I'm interested in planning a Caribbean Cruise to hit the best snorkeling spots.

I have yet to have a bad experience snorkelling anywhere I have been in the Caribbean. Generally we book the Catamarans as they tend to be more stable than the single hulled boats. We have snorkeled in Jamaica, St-Kitts, Antigua, St-Thomas, Barbados and they have all been great. Princess Cays was Ok but we decided it was kind of murky, all the others were great, blue ocean, warm salt water. Turtles, tons of fish. The catamaran tours we have been on have also made the experience great, usually sail out the the snorkel site and get into the water for 45 to 60 minutes, sometimes a lunch on the beach (always fun) and then the sail back with lively music and an open bar (included in the price). If you take the early departure you will usually have time to get back to the ship, shower rest a bit and get out to have a look around the stores near the cruise ship pier. You usually get some choice with different ports, swimming with turtles, manta rays, and other critters of the sea.

You should probably buy a decent underwater capable camera like the Olympus stylus tough series, good down to 33 feet, this way you can get good pics while you are there. Do not buy those disposable underwater film cameras, I have never had a good picture from one.

I have yet to have a bad experience snorkelling anywhere I have been in the Caribbean.

Yes, I've heard that pretty much every island in the Caribbean has good snorkeling. Good to hear you've had good experiences everywhere you've gone. I'm curious if there are islands that stand out as exceptional or unique. :)

Generally we book the Catamarans as they tend to be more stable than the single hulled boats. The catamaran tours we have been on have also made the experience great, usually sail out the the snorkel site and get into the water for 45 to 60 minutes, sometimes a lunch on the beach (always fun) and then the sail back with lively music and an open bar (included in the price).

We did a Catamaran tour in Nassau. We enjoyed it, too!

The 2 places I feel were excellent snorkeling are Roatan and Bonaire

I would agree and add Belize as a close third.

Generally I go outside of the cruiseline to book snorkeling excursions. Less drinking and more water time. Trip advisor is a good place to start looking for companies.

Marsha

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I have snorkeled dozens of locations in eastern and western caribbean. I would rate the best as The Indians in BVI, Salt Pond Bay in St John USVI and Cemetary Reef (yes, actually straight out from a cemetary) in Grand Cayman. Have not done any in Belize or Bonaire, but by reputation they are amazing also.

• 3 weeks later...
W. Caribbean is world class snorkeling and diving. Most notable are Roatan, Cozumel and Belixe.

On the other side, I especially liked St Lucia. Nassau for snorkeling with the sharks.

http://bahamascruiseexcursions.com/BahamasUltimateSnorkeling.htm

I heard the reef was badly damaged at Cozumel last year and the snorkeling is no longer any good...have you been in the last few months? Do you know how the reef is?

I heard the reef was badly damaged at Cozumel last year and the snorkeling is no longer any good...have you been in the last few months? Do you know how the reef is?

I snorkeled three off shore Cozumel reefs in April. They were excellent.

Hurricane Wilma did extensive damage to the near shore reefs, less, @20%, to the off shore.

That was eight years ago: 2005.

The off shore reefs have fully recovered and the near have made significant progress.

What is your source?

• 2 weeks later...

St John, Virgin Gorda, Turks and Caicos (Grace Bay), Belize, Roatan, Bonaire & Cozumel. The rest I'd say pick another excursion. We spend most of our vacations around the world snorkeling and IMHO are the best the Caribbean has to offer. The Indians is one of the best places I have ever snorkeled!

The single best itinerary for snorkeling (or diving) is one that goes to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. I know Carnival does this and probably others. Of course this is just my opinion but these rank among the best snorkel (dive) places in the world. And you can do them all on one cruise.

With the exception of Belize you can book either through the ship or private. Just do your homework if booking private.

In Belize it's best to book through the ship because of the long tender lines and tender travel time to/from the port. The ship's snorkel (or dive) excursion will pick you up right at the ship.

Bob

Searching for Kokomo

The single best itinerary for snorkeling (or diving) is one that goes to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. I know Carnival does this and probably others.

Ooh, you don't know how excited I am to read that! :) We've just booked our first Carnival cruise to that goes to the last 3 places you mentioned (will be second cruise ever).

Now, I don't have much experience, but we enjoyed Trunk Bay/St. Thomas. We saw a good bit/variety of fish and had a blast even though it started raining. We did book this excursion through the cruise line (Disney), but once we are able to cruise that itinerary again (E. Caribbean), we might try going it on our own since the time was very limited. Would prefer jumping off the ship as soon as possible and not having to wait for everyone/waste time. However, it did take quite a while to get out there. Trunk Bay was really neat because it is a national park and only so many people are allowed there on a day. Therefore, not crowded at all. :)

We're going to go snorkeling in Bonaire on our next cruise and I've heard it is amazing! So exciting! This isn't really for snorkeling, but had a great time in Grand Cayman snorkeling with the stingrays. And I really enjoyed a little snorkel trip in Princess Cays - we saw a great variety of fish and the water was clear! Probably not the greatest place to snorkel but if you're spending the day there anyway, you should give it a shot!

The single best itinerary for snorkeling (or diving) is one that goes to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. I know Carnival does this and probably others. Of course this is just my opinion but these rank among the best snorkel (dive) places in the world. And you can do them all on one cruise.

With the exception of Belize you can book either through the ship or private. Just do your homework if booking private.

In Belize it's best to book through the ship because of the long tender lines and tender travel time to/from the port. The ship's snorkel (or dive) excursion will pick you up right at the ship.

Bob

Searching for Kokomo

I am doing the Western Caribbean itinerary with Carnival on the Liberty in November. Which of the Carnival snorkel excursions do you recommend in Belize. Any recommendations for private tour operators in the other ports? Would be much appreciated.

I am doing the Western Caribbean itinerary with Carnival on the Liberty in November. Which of the Carnival snorkel excursions do you recommend in Belize. Any recommendations for private tour operators in the other ports? Would be much appreciated.

I vacationed in Belize on Ambergris Caye and if you can get out there I would book with the shark ( nurse) whisperer Lil' Alphonse who was even on the Travel Channel.. otherwise I have no other tips for you.

I love snorkeling at Chankanaab (which is a National Park) in Cozumel. The park is amazing and plenty to do if you want to take a break between snorkeling there at the reef. You walk down in to the water by steps and the snorkeling is right there.

Another awesome place to snorkel is Maya Key in Roatan. It's a private island and they have made it so that you can only book it now by booking with your cruise ship to get there. But, it's still worth it. You walk down a deck pier and at the end, you are right there. Tons of snorkeling and a lot to see. You can follow a path that leads you out to a big drop off with no floor and the big blue sea.

Roatan also has excellent snorkeling right from the beach at West Bay.

I have reviews of these places listed in my signature line if you are interested in reading them. There are tons of pictures. :)

Archived