American dollars in Victoria, BC?

Going to be in Victoria for about 5 hours on a cruise in June. If we were to take a cab into town and did some shopping, do they take American dollars? Or, do we have to cash in the Georges for Candian dollars?

Going to be in Victoria for about 5 hours on a cruise in June. If we were to take a cab into town and did some shopping, do they take American dollars? Or, do we have to cash in the Georges for Candian dollars?

I would avoid the hassle of exchange and just use your credit card for all purchases including taxi. That way you aren't left with currency you won't use.

Yes you can use american money. You may not get a good exchange, but you can use it. It would be best to use canadian for a taxi, they may just take it straight accross. :)

Victoria is very dependent on tourism and particularly tourists from Wasington state. Therefore they are very used to taking USD, about the only place that you are not supposed to use USD is on the public transit system. Frankly I wouldn't bother getting CAD for the few hours you are going to be in the city.

We spent US dollars in Victoria. However, we were given change in Canadian dollars. Not all shops accept all credit cards.

While I am a bit surprised by the credit card matter, there is no question that you will get your change in CAD as few shops operate a CAD and a USD cash register and after all CAD is the legal tender in Canada. So the solution is as always when using USD in foreign countries...keep your denominations small.

Note, as I saw a couple of US citizens confused by this recently at the Royal BC Museum:

We have eliminated the $1 & $2 bill. Instead we use $1 coin (aka the loonie) and a $2 coin (aka the twonie). To some not used to this it can appear you've been short-changed.

Also, recently we eliminated the penny. As a result the change you receive is rounded up or down depending on your purchase and if you're paying cash, for example

Buying something for $1.33 will be treated as $1.35 if paying cash.

Buying something for $1.32 will be treated as $1.30 if paying cash.

If you're using a credit card it doesn't matter.

Also, downtown is a 15 minute walk if you're fit.

You can use USD at most places as previously mentioned. You will not get the bank exchange rate. With our dollar running about 4 cents lower than yours for the moment it will likely be treated as par or 1 for 1. More often than not your change will be in Canadian especially from smaller shops. If you don't want to amass Cdn money use smaller, $10 and below US bills to pay for purchases. Using a $100 to buy a $7 item will leave you with a bunch of Cdn money to dispose of in most cases.

We've been to Victoria twice. Never had a problem using US $. They thrive on American tourism, so a lot of places will show prices for both Canadian and US currency. If getting change back in Canadian is a concern, try to bring smaller bills. You may also want to stipulate that you only want US $ for change. If they can't do that, cancel the transaction. We just used our credit card everywhere we went. Much easier.

We've been to Victoria twice. Never had a problem using US $. They thrive on American tourism, so a lot of places will show prices for both Canadian and US currency. If getting change back in Canadian is a concern, try to bring smaller bills. You may also want to stipulate that you only want US $ for change. If they can't do that, cancel the transaction. We just used our credit card everywhere we went. Much easier.

This is a bit misleading. I would suggest that the merchants who operate two cash registers, a CAD and a USD one, are in the minority. However as noted above almost all merchants will accept USD but as only CAD is legal tender in Canada you will very likely get you change in CDN...so keep your notes small. The other matter is that you will not likely get the current exchange rate on USD as the merchant has the issue of taking the USD to the bank where they may take a hit on the exchange rate as there is a buy rate and a sell rate.

Why would anyone even expect to get U.S. change in Canada. When you are in Canada the Canadian dollar is the only legal tender although most shops will take US dollars as a courtesy. I can imagine what they would say in the states if I expected change in Canadian.

Just to dispel what appears to be a misconception here. The US$ is not legal tender in Canada. Accepting US$ is something most merchants will do (as various different exchange rates) and some will also accept GBP,EUR and Yen. However, I can not think of any businesses that maintain a dual till system to be able to provide a foreign currency as change back.

If you're concerned about US vs C$ money; bring small US bills (the $50 and $100 may not even be accepted as they are widely counterfeited), and use US$ coin which freely circulates in with Canadian coin (no one cares here).

My son who worked in a major tourist attraction was asked all the time for change in American. It is illegal to give change in another currency in Canada. When I go to the U.S. I get some American money if you try to pass even a dime in the states they will never take it. Maybe it would solve any questions about this if people got some Canadian money if they know they are stopping in Canada.

As someone suggested bring some small $US bills for small purchases or tipping if in that situation.

Larger purchases use a credit card. Our dollar has fallen so your dollar will go a bit further and the approx. 1.5% one way exchange rate on the card will probably get you a better rate than what merchants will give you at the moment.

...You may also want to stipulate that you only want US $ for change. If they can't do that, cancel the transaction...

Sorry Debbie, but you can't be serious? Expecting American change in Canada? And cancel if they won't do it for you? Wow, I'm sorry but that is almost laughable.

...However, I can not think of any businesses that maintain a dual till system to be able to provide a foreign currency as change back.

Agreed for here, but I have seen this only once in my life... guess where? Edaleen Dairy in Lynden, Washington. Two tills, both US and Canadian cash in the tills, change in the currency you paid with. Interesting. But then again, I would dare say the majority of their business is from Canadians. :)

There are indeed business that do operate a till in both Canadian and American dollars. The two that spring to mind as I encountered them both this week are both on cruise passenger's travels. The Butchart Garden's till will automatically display the price in both currencies, and if American cash is tendered, American bills, not coins, are given in change. It has been that way for decades. The Beaver Gift shop on the cruise ship pier also follows that practice, and they too have been doing it for many years; again bill not coins.

So the next time I am in Texas I am going to give a store some Canadian $$$ and tell them they have to accept it and give me Canadian change because we accept American $$$ in Canada and when they say no I will cancel the transaction.

The only other country in the world that has the US $$$ as their official legal currency is Ecuador - I know that from first hand experience from my recent visit there.

Cheers

Dennis

Not quite Ut, there are a number of countries that are using the USD exclusively ...this is a cut and paste from Wikipedia:

British Virgin Islands

Caribbean Netherlands (from 1 January 2011)

East Timor (uses its own coins)

Ecuador (uses its own coins in addition to U.S. coins; Ecuador adopted the U.S. dollar as its legal tender in 2000.)[33]

El Salvador

Marshall Islands

Federated States of Micronesia (Micronesia used the U.S. dollar since 1944)[34]

Palau (Palau adopted the U.S. dollar since 1944)[34]

Panama (uses its own coins in addition to U.S. coins. This country has adopted the U.S. dollar as legal tender since 1904.)[35]

Turks and Caicos Islands

Perhaps, but that is 2 very, very specialized situations. 99.99% of merchants here are likely to accept $US but deal in $Canuck. Demanding change in $US will likely get you laughed out of the store before you have a chance to cancel your purchase mostly because merchants are likely to have minimal $US on hand.

Two posters said they could not think of any merchants that operated a two till system. I was merely bringing to their attention that there were indeed two that did. I have since found out that there are several more along Government St., so your 99.99% is obviously an error.

Archived