Scuba- back to the ship in time?

skittl1321

I've done 3 cruises and generally book our own excursions. I have never even come close to being late back to the ship. We are usually back a bit early...

I know this is a very general question (and the ports I'm thinking of are Cozumel, Roatan, and Costa Maya) but is SCUBA something that will put me at risk of being back to the boat quite late? How long does a two tank dive w/surface interval actually take?

The reason I ask is because every cruise based recommendation on Scubaboards seems to have a 'book with the ship!!!!', but then I think many of those people have never been near a crusie ship and don't realize that probably the most likely reason for missing the ship is that you got so drunk you forgot you were on a cruise ship.

So- what time do most people get back from independent dives? Would there actually be enough time that I could hang out on the beach a bit afterwards?

a handful of data points (but you may be pre-disposed to dismiss my opinions . . . )

in the more cruise popular ports like Coz' and Cayman the dive operators typically have a better grasp of what time the ships depart then the pass' do! In order to preserve future bookings they avoid bringing folks back late. In smaller places this is a less safe bet . . .

How long does a two tank dive w/surface interval actually take?

Sorry ... but this suggests to me you've not many dives in your log. 'cuz this depends on many factors like how deep are you going, diving tables or computers, how long is the boat ride .... however

let's look at a typical Cayman 2 tank dive leaving from near the tender landing, for one wall and one shallow dive. It will take about 3 hours. Deep dive by tables is 100 for 20 .... then a 40 minute surface interval (boat moves) and a 40 for 40 typically (work the problem on your tables. The wall is several miles off shore so figure boat time of 1.5 hours total (incl the 'tween dive move) all these are very ruff numbers but on my last Cayman trip (7 days Sunset House) our 2 tank trips left around 8:45 and we were back around noon if using the hotel's pier.

The reason I ask is because every cruise based recommendation on Scubaboards seems to have a 'book with the ship!!!!

Now you ARE faced with a dilema. The cruise people say book independent and the SCUBA people say book with the ship .... so the question is who's right? Or who's had more experience to judge? Cruise boards are cruise centric and SCUBA boards . . .

Well I've been certified for over 40 years and have many hundreds of logged dives - and I've been on 40 plus cruises in addition to working on ships in the Carib' for over 20 years. When I dive from a cruise ship I dive the ship's excursion 9 out of 10 times; my primary exception being Cayman where I walk to Sunset House and shore dive. When I worked the islands and made port calls I asked my port agent to set me up and more often than not I ended up on the same boat the cruise ship folks were on . . . my opinion: my agent pointed me to quality cuz he wanted my business next month . . .

just info

do what makes you feel good

I've dived on 10 cruises now and have taken the ship's excursion five times. Twice was on my first cruise diving, once on Belize, once on Grand Turk, and once on Nassau. I try to avoid ship's excursions as much as possible. I'm normally back with an hour or two to spare on my independent dives and I believe it's the only way to go unless you're looking at long travel like in Nassau or special considerations like Belize.

Sorry ... but this suggests to me you've not many dives in your log. 'cuz this depends on many factors like how deep are you going, diving tables or computers, how long is the boat ride .... however

No reason to apologize. I have never dived before. I know times vary but wasn't sure if there was a good way to estimate.

Thanks for the response.

Very true. Yes, generally, the ship's scuba will be a cattle boat.

I've had a mixed bag with this. I just got back from diving three times last week from a cruise. The most crowded by far was one of the independent operators I went with. They had nine people on a boat that would have been perfect with six. The next day I was on a boat with 21 people on the ships excursion, but the boat was much larger and less crowded even thought the higher number of people. They split people in three groups for diving so the dives were not crowded either. Next day was back to independent and only had four people. Talked to two ladies who took the ship excursion and they only had five people.

As for the cost thing, Carnival at least has definitely closed the gap on price. My independent excursion in Roatan was a whopping $4 cheaper. In Coz I paid more for my trip, but that was also for a better dive experience (Steel 120 tanks, fast boat, choice of site, max bottom time, etc)

I'

As for the cost thing, Carnival at least has definitely closed the gap on price. My independent excursion in Roatan was a whopping $4 cheaper.

Roatan cabs are so expensive it seems that getting to the dive op is going to eat up any cost savings. The excursion offered by NCL is very expensive compared to diving independently in Cozumel, but once I add a cab in, not that much more than the ind. operators in Roatan. However, it just says 'gear can be rented' they don't tell me how much it costs! The provider they go with has a good reputation though.

The cost of the excursion in Costa Maya is TWICE what the ind. quoted us at, and I think a cab is only $5 or so. The ind. includes gear, the excursion doesn't, it is additional.

Those are the only two places where NCL offers excursions. Belize and Cozumel and Discover Diving only.

In the end, I think I decided no to dive Belize, as the tendering does add another factor, however, we booked an independent non-scuba excursion there. Now we have to decide if I want to do Costa Maya or Roatan. I think in CM I'd go independant, Roatan with the ship.

I was just wondering what people's experience getting back was. Scuba Board is just rife with 'the ship will leave you !!!!' but then most of the posters there seem to hate cruise ships, so I don't know how many have ever even been on one, and that is a very newbie attitude toward excursions. So I was wondering what people who do scuba excursions thought. Are they more prone to being late than non-scuba excursions?

I do wonder how crowded ships "cattle boats" are because it doesn't seem like SCUBA would be the most popular excursion. I wish the cruiseline would give you more information about the excursion- I feel like I can't make an informed decision without knowing who the operator is and what depth they plan to dive at. It isn't like going to a beach- I need more information!

Cozumel probably cut it the closest. Roatan, I was back with over two hours to spare. Cozumel, we got to the shop at 9 (boat was supposed to dock at 9, but got in early). They had set us up for a 10 am departure, which probably left at 10:15 (island time) then went south and picked up one more person. We headed far south, common for Coz, and jumped in just after 11. Just over an hour dive, plus recovery, then on to Mr. Sanchos for a surface interval. We got there at 12:45, departed at 2. Next dive site, another hour and some dive. It was just before 4 when they dropped us at the submarine place just next to the International pier. We were supposed to be back by 4:30. Could have caught a cab, but it was under a mile, so we walked. (should have taken the cab)

You need to figure transit times, paper work time, island time, boat loading time, recovery time, etc. Always assume it is at least an hour longer than you think you'll take.

If you dive with Subway Watersports in Roatan, they include the transportation and it's the same price as going with Barefoot Divers. Barefoot is five minutes from the cruise terminal and it's a $20 roundtrip cab drive.

All of my ship's dives were cattle boats with the exception of the first one in Costa Maya where there were seven of us. The others were 30-40 divers, not what I like. I've never had an independent cattle boat because I won't book one. The closest we have come was with Subway where they had about 15 divers, but we already had arranged to dive by ourselves once we got to the dive sites so it didn't matter.

Cozumel probably cut it the closest.

EEK! (Especially since the things most Cozumel operators advertise is they let you dive your computer. So you really don't know how long someone on the boat will be down there!)

Unfortunately, there isn't a ship excursion there. And I'm not sure I'd take that one- as I've read many bad things about past ship excursions on various lines in Cozumel...

IThe others were 30-40 divers, not what I like.

Wow. I think I'd take the loss on the payment if there were that many people and just say never mind! Even with an appropriate number of employees, that sounds like way too many people to keep track of, especially in areas where there is drifting.

In Grand Cayman, they split it into two groups and in the other areas I was a professional and was able to dive on my own and guide my buddy. I'd never take a loss on payment for a dive. I'd simply swim away from the group and stay on the outside.

All of the divers were certified in those groups, so they didn't need anyone watching them, only a guide.

All of the divers were certified in those groups, so they didn't need anyone watching them, only a guide.

Yeah, that's true. I suppose it is only a concern if you are going without a buddy, and they don't assign them under the guise of going with the group. (And you aren't someone who dives solo. As a not even close to professional, or even competent, I'll be with a buddy!)

I always avoid the ship's dive excursion.

Even in Belize, I booked independently. In fact I was the diver and the other 3 (wife and a couple) were snorkelers. We booked an excursion which drove us to the airport to take a propeller to Ambergris Caye. I went to 2 very nice dives while the other 3 went to the best snorkeling they've ever had, saw and touched (yes, they shouldn't have but the op kept bringing to them to touch) many stingrays and nurse sharks. They said it was surprising the sharks and stingrays were so docile. After that we flew back, and was driven back to cruise terminal, with lots of time.

EEK! (Especially since the things most Cozumel operators advertise is they let you dive your computer. So you really don't know how long someone on the boat will be down there!)

Unfortunately, there isn't a ship excursion there. And I'm not sure I'd take that one- as I've read many bad things about past ship excursions on various lines in Cozumel...

Depending on who you book with in Cozumel, such as Scuba with Alison or Chucho Divers, time isn't really that much a factor. Both Alison and Chucho leave out of Caleta Marina, which is a 5 minute cab ride from the terminal (if you are arriving on a Carnival ship). They are very aware of the ship's schedule and will have you back in plenty of time.

Both of the dive ops I mentioned take from 6 - 8 divers only. The last time I was in Coz, we used Chucho Divers and my wife and I were the only ones on the boat. The only "downside" to that was it made us verrrrry spoiled for future boat dives.

Aldora does a nice job for the cruise ship passengers, since they have lots of boats. More flexibility.

I have never dived before.

which to me says

stay with the ship's trip ... they want to keep you safe

bad for advertising if you don't come back

My first independent dive I corresponded several times with the operator and it was clear they were very conscious of the ship's schedule. For me in St Thomas Blue Island parks in Crown point where Allure did as well, so they were very aware of its schedule. Another factor in 2 tank dives, we dove in 2 different spots so there was 20 minutes of boating between.

My first independent dive I corresponded several times with the operator and it was clear they were very conscious of the ship's schedule. For me in St Thomas Blue Island parks in Crown point where Allure did as well, so they were very aware of its schedule. Another factor in 2 tank dives, we dove in 2 different spots so there was 20 minutes of boating between.

Exactly! The operators would be out of business if they didn't get the cruise passengers back in time.

We mostly go independent at most ports we have dove before with competent dive ops we have used before. St Thomas, Blue Island; GC, Sunset House reef-you can walk or cab ride it, just depends how mobile your are with your gear; Coz has many good ops, just review the boards; Roatan, again several good ops like Subway.

Time in the port is a major factor if we dive or not. We like at least 7/8 hours of port time to get a good 2 tank dive. Oddly enough, the only time we were close to the ship time departure was during a ship excursion dive trip at Roatan. Of course since it was a ship shore excursion, they would not have left us. I think we were the last ones on the ship because there were several passengers hoot and hollering for us to hurry up and run. We have since booked our own dive at Roatan. Sometime we only have time for a one tank there.

Time in the port is a major factor if we dive or not.

The reason I ask specifically about diving is it seems there is a lot less that you control with diving than other excursions. We always do independent excursions, and have never even come close to being late- but I control how long we do things. Diving, if someone else has fabulous air consumption, who knows how long the dive is going to last waiting on them...

Archived