Virtual Balcony Sticker Shock

Get ready for some sticker shock on the new virtual balconies. Just looked at the March 9 2014 sailing on the Navigator and the virtual balcony was $1189pp while a real balcony was only $999. Hoping this was an error in pricing and now a little concerned about quantum pricing in general.

Just checked a random date (Oct. 19, 2014), virtual balconies are $699 per person, promenade are $609 per person, and E2 balconies for $849 so it looks like it might just be that sailing.

Hope this helps....

Get ready for some sticker shock on the new virtual balconies. Just looked at the March 9 2014 sailing on the Navigator and the virtual balcony was $1189pp while a real balcony was only $999. Hoping this was an error in pricing and now a little concerned about quantum pricing in general.

On some Disney cruises the virtual porthole rooms cost more than the real ocean view rooms, I don't think it is a mistake, just that people will pay more to try something new.

On some Disney cruises the virtual porthole rooms cost more than the real ocean view rooms, I don't think it is a mistake, just that people will pay more to try something new.

And along those same thoughts - especially with all the new venues being offered - expect Quantum to be very pricey. Just as Oasis class was when they were first launched I would guess Quantum and Anthem will lead the fleet in overall pricing.

That is quite high. Although it may just be that they have sold a lot of them that week. I was curious so I checked the surrounding weeks. The week before has that them at $729 (balcony is $829) , while the week after is $859 (balcony $929). At least those are cheaper than the balcony, but still at that rate I'd rather pay the small difference and get the real balcony. They're also probably priced a bit higher as they are a new feature and people will want to book them for the new experience.

Ok, I'll bite. What's a virtual balcony? And for that matter, what's a virtual porthole?

As I understand it, Disney has had something similar to this for a while, but RCI - announced with the Quantum press release - will have one wall of their inside cabins on Quantum set up as a virtual "screen" that will show a live shot of the outside of the ship as seen on a balcony stateroom to give the feel of a balcony room. They are refitting Navigator with this feature first. As I understand it there will be a curtain on the wall that when opened reveals the "virtual balcony".

As I understand it, Disney has had something similar to this for a while, but RCI - announced with the Quantum press release - will have one wall of their inside cabins on Quantum set up as a virtual "screen" that will show a live shot of the outside of the ship as seen on a balcony stateroom to give the feel of a balcony room. They are refitting Navigator with this feature first. As I understand it there will be a curtain on the wall that when opened reveals the "virtual balcony".

And people pay extra for this feature? Interesting.

This experience strikes me as being on par with watching a fireplace DVD. Just sayin... :rolleyes:

Why not just dock the ship, roll the footage, and call it a virtual cruise? Save money all the way around. Especially on "port days", when you can "virtually" go on a shore excursion. I guess with the wall you can also "virtually" join the balcony club. Its all a joke folks, save the pitch forks and torches for some other poor soul.

Guest maddycat
Why not just dock the ship, roll the footage, and call it a virtual cruise? Save money all the way around. Especially on "port days", when you can "virtually" go on a shore excursion. I guess with the wall you can also "virtually" join the balcony club. Its all a joke folks, save the pitch forks and torches for some other poor soul.

You gave me a good laugh. I'm still grinning.

Maybe that's what we can do with all those old Navy ships - turn them into virtual cruises where you really do go nowhere, and all the money will go to pay down our national debt. "Sail to Bail". :)

Maybe that's what we can do with all those old Navy ships - turn them into virtual cruises where you really do go nowhere, and all the money will go to pay down our national debt. "Sail to Bail". :)

Um, I did that on the USS Little Rock stationed at Buffalo.

http://dollonaswing.blogspot.com/2012/10/battleship.html

It was fun, actually.

I would like to see the first drunk try to go for a smoke or fresh air and walk face first into the wall...not that I haven't been drunk and bounced off walls...lol...but would be funny to see some one else do it

Archived