NCL Breakaway - Balcony Cabin Pictorial

Great posts and pix. Thx!! How large us shower. Really like the bathrooms/showers on Jewel class ships. How do these compare?

A bit more compact here. The shower was standard size, with drawstring across the top for clothes drying.

Thanks for the pics Ron. Quick question: Does the TV swivel? It may just be the picture it doesn't look like the TV is at a good angle for watching from either the couch or the bed.

Thanks again.

The TV does swivel out in one direction...slightly... towards the bed.

That worked well...towards the couch, not so much, but is was viewable when flat to the wall from there.

Thank you so much for great pictures and details! We are in BB cat and the balcony size REALLY bothers me.

We spend a lot if time on the balcony, enjoying breakfast in the morning and relaxing at night. At least what we WERE used to do on our previous cruises.

Looking at the pics I don't think it's possible to even sit comfortably! Forget about leisurely breakfast!:eek:

It must be a deal breaker for us considering future bookings. Well, we'll see in a week how it goes:)

Great minds think alike! That was our cabin... 13890.

Great location, short walk to aft elevators. Ultra quiet with the hall dead ending aft.

WOW! That's great, now I know exactly what to expect and what our cabin looks like. :) I have to admit, I am a little nervous with the size of Breakaway as I perfer the smaller ship concept. However, Breakaway sparked our interest so much we had to book. :D The balcony is going to be a shock even though we saw your pictures beforehand. Our last cruise in September we were in an Aft Penthouse on the Star with a wrap around balcony, very big balcony. :eek:

WOW! That's great, now I know exactly what to expect and what our cabin looks like. :) I have to admit, I am a little nervous with the size of Breakaway as I perfer the smaller ship concept. However, Breakaway sparked our interest so much we had to book. :D The balcony is going to be a shock even though we saw your pictures beforehand. Our last cruise in September we were in an Aft Penthouse on the Star with a wrap around balcony, very big balcony. :eek:

I also had pre-cruise issues with the size...being a lover of the Spirit and the Sun.

They did go away very quickly once onboard... more to say about it in my trip report, but the design works. It seems like the ship has discrete areas that tend to mirror a smaller ship; you never get a wide open feeling and that masquerades the overall size.

You will like 13890... it has a transition balcony, more triangular in shape. (look at the deck plans)... that extra space is absolutely captured and usable.

I will post actual 13890 balcony pics in my review thread.

Edited by computerworks

Thanks for the great pics :D 2 questions...

are there clocks in the room? If not and I bring my own...I guess this means it will go out when I take my key card out of the slot :confused::eek:

Shower curtain or door?

No clocks in the room, other than the display on the phone (which is not very visible)

The shower has a curved, frosted glass door.

Green eye lady bring a small battery operated clock or watch.

good idea...I usually bring a small electric one...but maybe it takes batteries also.

We were on the Carnival Breeze last month and they had the same system but it only affected the lights...not the electrical outlets...makes more sense that way :rolleyes:

NCL Breakaway - Balcony Cabin Pictorial

We just returned from the May 12, 2013 sailing to Bermuda. Since there have been so many questions here about room features, I decided to post my cabin pictures separate from the Trip Review, to make searching easier for future cruisers.

We stayed in a Cat BC balcony on Deck 13, starboard aft. It has been a while since we sailed in a standard balcony, but, overall found the cabin to be just fine, with some new touches that took a bit getting used to.

The hallways are decorated in an understated manner, but thankfully, we still have fishes swimming forward (although now they are more like anchovies). No more twist-dial room status indicators; you have switches that turn on LEDs above your door to indicate Do Not Disturb or Make up Room.

8764686283_8b8030fe4d_b.jpg

The cabin is brightly colored and very minimalist in design. I liked the look and feel.

8764686155_8edaa52879_b.jpg

We have been used to staying in Minisuites (Jewel class) and immediately felt this cabin was very narrow. Over the course of the cruise, we became comfortable with the size, but I think it would be troublesome for more than a couple.

The TV is built into the wall, with a literature stowage just below it. You can see in the mirror that there is a similar stowage unit above the bed.

8764686269_b281d89b92_b.jpg

The bathroom was well designed... the shelving actually gave more storage room than we have seen in other cabins.

8767414466_44664e89cd_b.jpg

The typical shower

8767414416_a453d12e80_b.jpg

there is just something about that new, fresh look and I love the flat screen tvs.

The small balcony was a little shocking at first but then quickly became the norm. I love, love sitting on my balcony and the size of this one wouldn't prevent me from sailing on the Breakaway again. It just took a little while to get used to...

I also had pre-cruise issues with the size...being a lover of the Spirit and the Sun.

They did go away very quickly once onboard... more to say about it in my trip report, but the design works. It seems like the ship has discrete areas that tend to mirror a smaller ship; you never get a wide open feeling and that masquerades the overall size.

You will like 13890... it has a transition balcony, more triangular in shape. (look at the deck plans)... that extra space is absolutely captured and usable.

I will post actual 13890 balcony pics in my review thread.

I really appreciate your insight and look forward to reading your review. I did notice that the balcony has a kind of "hump" shape but was not sure if that would actually be a plus in the room factor on the balcony.

I am a t-shirt fanatic... drives my wife crazy.

I think you might be my twin. At last count I have over 60 t-shirts in my closet. I told my wife I had thrown out about half of them. They are one of the few things I collect and when they are too old to wear they make great rags.

Thanks for the pictures, were in a Spa Balcony, basically the same cabin as yours

Edited by Laszlo

Thanks for the pictures! I see the phone is on the desk rather than on the nightstand.....that certainly is a weird set up.:rolleyes: I normally use the wake-up service....now I have to get out of bed and pick up that darn phone??!! That's just too much work in the early weee hours.:p

Do you know where the connecting door is located? Is it the same for all cabins?

No, sorry. Mine was not a connecting cabin.

But based on the mirror-image designs of the cabins, I would guess the connecting door to an adjoining cabin would be across from the bathroom door.

Great pictorial walkthrough! Thank you!

Quick question about the coffee maker in the stateroom. I notice it only brews one cup at a time. How does the coffee provided taste? Is it possible for me to bring my own grinds and filters? Or does it only work with the two-in-one "pod" type filter provided, like in some hotel rooms? Thanks again!

Quick question about the coffee maker in the stateroom. I notice it only brews one cup at a time. How does the coffee provided taste? Is it possible for me to bring my own grinds and filters? Or does it only work with the two-in-one "pod" type filter provided, like in some hotel rooms? Thanks again!

At 6 in the a.m., after a few hours sleep... it tasted just fine. :p

Seriously, it used the flat, sealed porous-paper one-cup brew discs, about 3 inches in diameter. I think you could cut and fold a filter and put your own grinds in it... I really do. It is just a drip brewer.

I felt the halls were rather narrow. My cabin steward said it is an issue with letting passengers pass by while they are in the hall with their carts. At times I had to duck into some doorways in order to let others pass. It is a real issues with wheel chair access as you have to move into a doorway to let them pass.

They key card and electric...yikes! I scared the heck out of myself one night while leaving the cabin by dropping the key card after removing it from the slot, left in the pitch dark and forgot the door opened outward. I was in panic mode for a few seconds until I remembered to open the door out towards the hallway. It made me think if there were an emergency would I remember to push the door versus pull the door. Old habits are very hard to break!

oh my!!! so funny! My husband did exactly the same thing! He tried to feel around for the card on the floor and I grabbed around on the night table to find the small flash light I always take. I found the flash light first! Never even thought about opening the door! LOL

Thanks for sharing your pictures. We are in a spa minisuite for our 6/9 cruise and aside from the differences in the bathroom and a "few' spare feet I expect our cabin will be pretty similar to yours.

Looking at the vanity stool with the wooden top, thought initially it was rather odd, but probably designed to also serve as a coffee table which is how we are going to use it.