RSS Black Sea Odyessy Cruise Mariner July 2013

Hello - Anyone been on this cruise before? Would love any tips/feedback on excursions, what to do/avoid? Thank you in advance.

We did this a few years ago with one of our sons and his wife.

Wonderful cruise...interesting ports and some nice excursions as well..

Enjoy it..

We took this cruise last summer. The weather was beautiful although it was very, very warm. The Black Sea was like glass. If you haven't been to Ephesus the terrace houses are wonderful. Another "don't miss" is the Panorama Museum in Sevastapol. Stalin's Dacha and Sochi highlights was another good excursion. There is so much to see and do in Istanbul, I don't know where to start. The day we spent cruising the Bosphorus Straits was one of our best days ever on a ship. This is a very unusual cruise - have a great time! We took my Mother with us and she loved it.

We did this itinerary 2 yrs. ago. Had no idea what we'd see; but it was really nice. Very happy we did this. I think this area is undiscovered by most American tourists. Been to Istanbul 3 times and it is our favorite city. Athens is our least favorite. You will enjoy this cruise!!

My wife and I will be taking this cruise also. The attraction are the ports in southern Russia, Ukraine and the Crimea. I do have a few questions.....

Should we expect the weather to be the same as it would be in the Mediterranean at that time of year? Also...do most men wear a sport jacket for dinner? Lastly....any suggestions on what to do in Constanta if one is not taking the Bucharest excursion. Thanks in advance for any responses....

In terms of wearing jackets to dinner, it is not required but men do -- especially on "special" nights like the Captain's Reception, etc. Also, European men tend to wear suits and ties as this is apparently their comfort level. Then they are men who wear polo shirts and slacks. This is one part of the Regent dress code that I'm not crazy about.

In terms of wearing jackets to dinner, it is not required but men do -- especially on "special" nights like the Captain's Reception, etc. Also, European men tend to wear suits and ties as this is apparently their comfort level. Then they are men who wear polo shirts and slacks. This is one part of the Regent dress code that I'm not crazy about.

That's OK as I am crazy about it, as are numerous others who sail Regent..

Please don't get started with the fashion police again. If anything, it might help people stay away.

Why not let them read the script and decide for themselves?

We took a ship's excursion to Ancient Histria. It's an ancient Greek colony year one of the mouths of the Danube. There's a little museum which was interesting, and the site itself which was interesting and beautiful, although the ruins weren't that impressive--they haven't really been excavated much.

The main highlight for me was seeing the villages and agricultural way of life from the bus on the way, and the juxtaposition of occasional industry and garish tourism. And for all of us, the big highlight were the birds and wildlife. The site had several stork nests, and we got to watch the storks feed their babies. I loved the idea of being on the Danube delta.

Constanta itself is nothing much, although I did have fun window-shopping after the trip.

Oh, and the weather for us was similar to the Med., although perhaps not quite so hot (our cruise didn't go as far as Russia.)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for all the great information. We are on countdown. Looking forward to all the great ports of call. If anyone has a particular favorite would love to hear back! Black Sea Odyessy here we come!!!:cool:

• 6 months later...