Who will be the first Captain of Quantum?

Where is Bill Wright ? Did he leave RCL ?

The last thing I was aware of was he took a job at the HQ in Miami. He introduced the Freedom Class. Introduced the Oasis Class.

I still suspect he'll be the chosen Captain to Introduce the Quantum Class. Even if he is at the HQ now. He may not stay with the ship for long but I at least see him signing the paperwork when RCCL takes it over from the shipyard.

Not aware of ANYTHING out there about him being fired.

I had heard within the last year that Captain Bill was not at Miami HQ and was back on a ship..Radiance is the one that comes to mind.

My money is still on Captain Patrik:) although Captain Bill is a wonderful choice. Have had him as Captain on two inaugurals Freedom and Oasis and quite the personable and friendly person

Edited by emmy

On the Grandeur (during the 5/17 sailing) Captain Espeen Been said that he joined the ship on April 14th and was supposed to leave on June 28th but he's still onboard. He was originally scheduled for 11 weeks which I think is pretty standard. Guessing the downtime after fire may not have counted against his sea time or they just didn't want someone fresh coming onboard when she returned to service. That same time frame seems to match up with what Captain Bill did on the Oasis. He joined the ship at the start of November in Finland and left in early January. I was on the 1/2 sailing and he said he had one more after us before leaving. Our sailing was Ken Rush's last though as CD. It may seem like a shorter contract but that is because they are sailing and working before the first scheduled cruise. It is still usually a full length contract though, as long as no executive duties get in the way.

How about Capt. Johnny .. :)loved him on the Mariner many years ago.

A very good Captain he is. We had him on our very first Royal Caribbean cruise also on Mariner. We became hooked on RC ever since partly due to the great experience we had with him.

The fact that he is one of the top Captains and worked with Captain Zini on Allure makes it very possible for him to bring out at least one of the new builds.

How about Capt. Johnny .. :)loved him on the Mariner many years ago.

I could go for that. Never sailed with him but everyone is always praising him so I'd love to see what all the commotion is about. I could also go for Captain Espen Been. He proved himself with the Grandeur fire and when we sailed with him a week earlier he scheduled at least one passenger interaction activity each day. When a new ship is coming out one of the captain's most important duties is being able to handle the media attention and schmoozing with all the important guests.

Well if he was fired... As usual RCI's IT dept. is the last to know. This is on Royal's site...

http://http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/behindTheSmiles/profile.do?INTERVIEWID=14

I thought that was interesting as well. When top officials are fired they are usually removed from any listing of the company. Hopefully he is still around.

Maybe Capt. Bill will be back and is just taking some much needed time off.

What I do know and I don't think this is out of line to say since he is the one who said it - He was born in Miami, met his Norwegian wife as a young teen after his Dad died, got married had a couple daughters (I think that's what he said he has). He worked as a captain and then in Miami shoreside AWAY from his family for too long. Now he has grandchildren who he'd like to spend time with and see grow up. He went back to sea so he'd have MORE time home in Norway with his family. His wife had just finished taking chain saw lessons while he was on Radiance last year. She planned to cut down some trees on their property. (no I'm not kidding) Maybe he got home and realized how much he was missing. Maybe he wanted a real life and has savings and investments so he can stay home a while. Maybe he likes cutting down trees with his wife. Maybe he'll eventually be back on board. Maybe not. But maybe we should give him some slack and not publicly pick the man apart.

There are a LOT of other nice and personable captains out there. The one who took his place on RD is one of them. Now RD STILL has 2 of the best. :)

Gina

• 3 weeks later...

Capt. Patrik WILL be the first captain of Quantum and he said this is no secret. He said that who will be the other captain is the big secret. :) He also said he will remain on Oasis doing regular rotations until January most likely. He will join Quantum in her final build stages at some point part way through the year next year.

Capt. Patrik WILL be the first captain of Quantum and he said this is no secret. He said that who will be the other captain is the big secret. :) He also said he will remain on Oasis doing regular rotations until January most likely. He will join Quantum in her final build stages at some point part way through the year next year.

Thanks for the info. Never had Captain Patrik Dahlgren so I'm looking forward to someone new! I'm assuming that by other captain he is talking about the one that will be in charge during his off periods and not that he is only the first captain and not staying with her after that?

Thanks for the info. Never had Captain Patrik Dahlgren so I'm looking forward to someone new! I'm assuming that by other captain he is talking about the one that will be in charge during his off periods and not that he is only the first captain and not staying with her after that?

Correct. We still don't know who will be the other captain rotating with him since, yes, every ship has two masters. We only know that he is bringing her out as the first captain of Quantum of the Seas. At least that is certainly the plan.:)

Correct. We still don't know who will be the other captain rotating with him since, yes, every ship has two masters. We only know that he is bringing her out as the first captain of Quantum of the Seas. At least that is certainly the plan.:)

His linkedin certainly seems to confirm it now. I remember looking at it when his name first came up and know it was not there: http://www.linkedin.com/in/patrikdahlgren

Currently at RCCL Headquarters in Miami and Germany as Captain for the Design and Development of the two new Sunshine Class of Ships.

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned earlier today from an Oasis of the Seas Western Caribbean sailing that departed on 8/17/13. During the Captain's Corner session on Friday 23rd August, Captain Patrik Dahlgren showed some videos of the making of Oasis and then a little on the Quantum and also talked a little about Quantun. During the Q&A I asked him directly and specifically if he would be the first Master of Quantum of the Seas. He responded with a smile and said "Yes". Then went on say if I remember correctly something like, yes I will bring Quantum of the Seas out and so on. I had mentioned during the time I introduced myself that I was already booked on Quantum for spring 2015, which prompted him to ask a follow-up question. He asked which spring sailing I was on in March 2015, the 8 day? I responeded,yes the 8 day. He said great or fantastic and hope to see you then.

In one of my previous post I mentioned that I would ask the question during my Oasis sailing and here you have it. I believe Gina was the first to post here that Captain Patrik Dahlgren will be the first Master of Quantum. So I can confirm that he said so in person.

In one of my previous post I mentioned that I would ask the question during my Oasis sailing and here you have it. I believe Gina was the first to post here that Captain Patrik Dahlgren will be the first Master of Quantum. So I can confirm that he said so in person.

I believe Promisekeeper was the first to name Capt Patrik;) But that is neither here nor there. Capt Patrik has been announcing this for months on Oasis so it was no secret. He is the best and so happy for him, imho

I believe Promisekeeper was the first to name Capt Patrik;) But that is neither here nor there. Capt Patrik has been announcing this for months on Oasis so it was no secret. He is the best and so happy for him, imho

Thanks for mentioning that if I had it wrong. He is very good, explains things really well and has a great sense of humor. I enjoyed sailing with him and I am also very happy for him.

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

• 3 months later...