New to HAL - Cabin queries? Can you help.

Hello, We are new to HAL but not to cruising. We have booked what looks a great cruise out in the far east on MS Rotterdam, but can't find out the following, so hope someone can help us.

1. Is there a safe in our cabin?

2. Electrics : is it 2 pin euro sockets?

3. Is there coffee and tea making facilities in the cabin?

4. What is the onboard currency to pay bill at end?

5. Is there alternative buffet available during the evening, if you do not wish to dress up to eat in the main restaurants?.

Thanks to anyone who can help - no doubt will think of something else before too long!!

Regards Chris

Hello, We are new to HAL but not to cruising. We have booked what looks a great cruise out in the far east on MS Rotterdam, but can't find out the following, so hope someone can help us.

5. Is there alternative buffet available during the evening, if you do not wish to dress up to eat in the main restaurants?.

Thanks to anyone who can help - no doubt will think of something else before too long!!

Regards Chris

Yes, there is a safe in every cabin. It's in the tall cupboards as you walk in the cabin.

Sockets - if I remember correctly there are both kinds of sockets available but if my memory is faulty others will set us straight.

There are no coffee or tea making facilities in the cabin. You can order room service or go to the Lido or other dining venues. The Lido has a nice selection of teas (speaking as a "tea granny") as does the dining room.

At the end we've always had everything go on our credit card to make life easier.

The Lido is open for dining in the evening if you don't want to go to the dining room. You can also order room service. In the evening you can order off the dining room menu as long as you do so early in the serving time. We haven't done that before but I've read of a number of people who do.

Hope that helps and enjoy your HAL cruise. We love Holland!

Karen

yes, there is a safe in every cabin.

no, it is the american socket

no coffe or tea making facilities but you can call room service free

this i am not sure of, but i believe it is US currency. i know that all charges are in US currency so that would make sense that the final bill would also be in US currency

yes, you can eat at the Lido. The only time you need to dress up is on formal nights in the main dining room, but you do have to wear smart casual clothes the other days. Smart casual just means no shorts or tank tops/t-shirts, nice pants and a nice shirt (golf shirt is fine) is what is expected for men.

On the Rotterdam this past winter the Shipboard account was done in US $ .... if we had used a CA credit card it would have been converted to CA by the credit card company .... we elected to use a US card to save the conversion ... I am sure you will enjoy your Far East cruise - we sure did - all 88 days of it.

Thank you to you all who have answered my questions. I only asked about alternative eating as some days ashore are so hectic, we just want to eat casually. I don't mean dress wise as we are used to dressing for dinner on cruises and don't like to see shorts or vests during the evening!! Thanks again, Chris

Thank you to you all who have answered my questions. I only asked about alternative eating as some days ashore are so hectic, we just want to eat casually. I don't mean dress wise as we are used to dressing for dinner on cruises and don't like to see shorts or vests during the evening!! Thanks again, Chris

Chris, on busy port days, evening dress in the MDR will be smart casual, which means (as my mother used to say) "neat but not gaudy". No jeans (although I have seen them), shorts, etc., so you will be comfortable wherever you choose to dine! It's all good.:) Ann

Archived