Trafalgar Falls-hiking shoes?

CanadaDeb

Hi,

Wondering if anyone who has been to Trafalgar can tell me if hiking shoes are really needed to access the falls? I have been reading some tour sites and the recommend them but would love to get away from having to pack them for a few minutes there. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Deb

Running shoes are suitable for hiking. Running shoes have a sole that is fairly rigid. For comparison think tennis shoes where the sole isn't that rigid. Just make sure you don't mind if they get wet and muddy.

I would personally wear my Keen Newport H2 sandals. They have a rigid sole, closed toe, back strap and are fairly quick to dry. They were great for shorter hikes on Dominica. You might get a pebble or two but no need to worry about frost bite, it's summer all year round :) There are other equivalent and cheaper sandals out there.

• 2 weeks later...

There is an area with lots of boulders. If you want to climb them, you will need more than sandals. There was a security guy at the bottom of the fall last year but his presence was puzzling. He was smoking pot!

• 4 months later...

Agree with you -- the roughest part about the walk to see the falls from the observation point is the heat and humidity -- yes, whatever you put on your feet will probably get muddy but oh well......

A quick stop at the fabulous Papillote 'Resort' nearby is a must, too. Looks gorgeous from the website and far more to it now than when I visited twice many years ago when it was a couple of raggedy buildings and few hotel rooms. Back then, the 'bar' was a shanty but so much fun. If you want a true tropical experience, this area of Dominica is the place to get it.

Back then, local kids helped people down the rocks from the observation point and into the actual falls. Not sure if they do THAT anymore but people loved it, emerging covered in 'orange' residue from the rocks.

Tip: Take drinking water -- you WILL get thirsty!

frankly, Trafalgar falls is more of a walk than a hike - anything but spiked high heels would work

LOL. Gotta love the Caribbean, eh?

There is an area with lots of boulders. If you want to climb them, you will need more than sandals. There was a security guy at the bottom of the fall last year but his presence was puzzling. He was smoking pot!

Archived