My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

No, we don't need anything extra. The Cuban tourist card (provided by Cuba Cruise) serves as a visa on entry.

A reminder that this two part card, which must be file out correctly (or you will be charged for a replacement), is used as an entry and an exit document. One half is taken upon arrival and the second half is retained for immigration inspections at the various ports and for the final exit from the country. It is important to safeguard this card accordingly. This card can be stamped by immigration in lieu of stamping a passport.

Is anyone having trouble paying their final bill on the website ? I have logged on with CHROME and when I got to the billing page a warning popped up saying that it wasnt secure and was dangerous to give information. I tried with Internet Explorer and AOL browser and both times told that either my booking number or email address was incorrect. A friend had the same problem and called and each of his four credit cards was declined including the one he used to make the deposit. What gives ? Why are they making it so difficult ?. Advice please !!!

Your email address is case sensitive and must match the original booking entry exactly.

When presented with a "problem site certification" message on Internet Explorer, one of the options is to continue. In so doing, this should take you to the secure payment page. While the final payment date was expressed as being one month before departure, we were able to access our full payment option but will hold off doing so until required, as funds in our bank are considered a bird in the hand...

Thank you, I called, spoke to Holly who processed the payment in one try. You may want to pay now if you are US citizen. Rate between CDN $$ and USD is very very favorable to USD right now. It may change

I hadn't realized you were dealing with a fare in Canadian dollars. Yes, by all means take advantage of the exchange rate. I envy the gentleman who posted that when the currencies were at par, he purchase a large sum of US dollars and has them at his disposal for travel. We are not looking forward to purchasing CUV's for $1.35 Canadian. And even if there remains a 10% surcharge on converting US currency, it still is cheaper than what we Canadians now must pay.

Ahoy! Our final payment done today with Transat! Now we wait for our edocs in January and then start to pack :)) It is feeling real now.

I am wondering how to get the most out of each port as far as experiencing the community. I am still uncertain if we will take the included tours as they may feel "herded" and crowded. I will be very interested in the early feedback when the cruise starts next month.

Also wonder about swim / beach time. How is the pool on the ship? Is it open at night? I think 2 suits should be plenty for the week.

Ahoy! Our final payment done today with Transat! Now we wait for our edocs in January and then start to pack :)) It is feeling real now.

I am wondering how to get the most out of each port as far as experiencing the community. I am still uncertain if we will take the included tours as they may feel "herded" and crowded. I will be very interested in the early feedback when the cruise starts next month.

Also wonder about swim / beach time. How is the pool on the ship? Is it open at night? I think 2 suits should be plenty for the week.

As Americans (Bryna123, I see you are Canadian - different rules :), I think WE are expected to take excursions (but wonder how well they can "herd cats"). However, Maria del Gorda is primarily a diving location (and the beach sounds a bit iffy - need bug repellent for sand flies, etc. From what I've read, the diving boats will take snorkelers as well. We'll have our own snorkel gear with us (I'm not sure renting snorkeling stuff is an option). I see, however, that we are scheduled for a 11:45 excursion - that sure takes a chunk out of the middle of the day - I'll have to check it out since it basically sounds like nothing is close to Maria del Gorda.

I am still uncertain if we will take the included tours as they may feel "herded" and crowded. I will be very interested in the early feedback when the cruise starts next month.

The tours are definitely "herd" style, with 40 people per bus. The pool and hot tub are both small and close early. They generally closed around 6 or 7, usually as everyone was re-boarding the ship, so I never actually got a chance to use them.

...Also wonder about swim / beach time. How is the pool on the ship? Is it open at night? I think 2 suits should be plenty for the week.

I don't think you could ever be far from a beach in Cuba. Your reference to two suits we assume to be bathing suits. That would be wise as there are no dryers on board. Be aware that changing from wet to dry on the beach is a "towel dance". Lost beach towels ashore will be charged to your account so keep them in sight.

The ship's pool which is small by ship standards is open from 8:00am until 6:00 pm as the pool area is used for other activities in the evening. We never did see many people using the pool but then we were far from capacity on those sailings. Your enthusiasm is sparking renewed interests and this will be our third year aboard.

... It is feeling real now.

I am wondering how to get the most out of each port as far as experiencing the community. I am still uncertain if we will take the included tours as they may feel "herded" and crowded. .

An occasional "Moo" on some of the tours would be appropriate... But the bus at Santiago de Cuba for example gets you up the hills and into the city and you get to see a lot that you would not be able to without a guide. However, as a Canadian you are free to leave the group if you so desire, just make sure you tell the guide and driver. We did and "our tour" was certainly interesting in making our way back down to the ship which we could see in the harbour.

One would assume that an American passenger who, for whatever health reason, could not go on the mandatory tour could therefore transfer the unused tour ticket to someone who could fill their seat. Just saying...

I will also pack our mask and snorkel for the opportunity at Maria Gorda. I have been trying to find info to set up a dive in advance but emails have gone unanswered. The included tour does not describe snorkeling as part of it so likely be winging that on our own once we disembark. I hope we can rent fins there in the port.

Ont-Ca, I like the idea of parting ways with the group once in an interesting area. I would think the cruise operators would frown on that though, for a number of reasons. Were there any issues or negative attitude when you ventured away? We have been to Santiago before and had the basic tour of the key tourists sights, so free time would be great.

One time in Holguin city we had free time from the tour and were approached by a local who could not speak English. From gestures and comical facial expressions we had one of the best experiences. He took us inside buildings to see people, art and local business. We saw a grocery store and a local paper, still using a movable type printing press. He had us back to our meeting spot on time for the group trip back to the hotel. All for a tip of any amount we saw fit. We nicknamed him The Mayor.

... One time in Holguin city we had free time from the tour and were approached by a local who could not speak English. From gestures and comical facial expressions we had one of the best experiences. He took us inside buildings to see people, art and local business. We saw a grocery store and a local paper, still using a movable type printing press. He had us back to our meeting spot on time for the group trip back to the hotel. All for a tip of any amount we saw fit. We nicknamed him The Mayor.

Meeting someone like "The Mayor" is not a frequent occurrence but when it happens it can really make the tour, for it has happened to us in our travels. I think the concerns for leaving a bus tour is your security but if you are in an area where there is other transportation to the ship available and it is considered tourist friendly there is no problem. But as mentioned, one must let them know.

The only time we had problems was when the tour was so taxing and the heat so unbearable, we wanted to sit under a tree and let the tour continue without us knowing that the bus had to return to that very point eventually and could then pick us up. Not quite. They eventually brought the empty bus back to our shade shelter to pick us up and then returned to the group where they all re embarked. The bus then headed back to the ship, again passing right by the spot we had found refuge from the burning sun. Something got lost in the logistics... :rolleyes:

You could have the tour bus drop you off in the main square of Santiago, Parque Céspedes, and when finished exploring and soaking in the atmosphere, just walk downhill towards the port. It would be hard to get lost.

From the main square you can head over to the nearby Casa de la Trova to listen to wonderful musicians while drinking 1 CUC beer. The locals sing along with the musicians and try to con you into buying drinks. There is no cover charge for the small room downstairs, you only have to tip a CUC or so to the musicians, who are well worth it. This is a fabulous place to mingle with the locals and people watch. We could have spent hours here.

Thanks for that burm. Here is what I found on Google;

https://www.google.ca/search?q=casa+de+la+trova+santiago+de+cuba&biw=1162&bih=807&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIhayIyu2LyQIVy6keCh0cIgQG

(I bet a beer will be more than 1 CUC this season.) :D

And I bet the Cubans don't even pay 1 CUC. But it was definitely a local hangout. For the hour or more that we were there chatting with everyone, we were the only foreigners. I bet it is really a lively spot at night.

That video is very well done. I had to smile to see the old man again with his donkey in Trinidad. I recently saw him on another travelogue as well.

And Vinales, oh, what a gorgeous place. A stunningly beautiful time machine.

Has anyone arranged a hotel in Havana for the overnight? It does appear the ship docks basically right next to old Havana so it may not be really worth it. The prices for Hotel Nacional De Cuba are quite high. I've never been on a cruise that overnights in a port, is there any requirement to return to the ship by a certain time?

If you are looking for a place to stay pre or post cruise your best bet is a casa particular or what we call a Bed & Breakfast. Here is a sight that give further detail.

http://www.cuba-junky.com/havana/havana-casa-particulares-home.htm

We pre booked and have stayed at three separate full service and somewhat expensive hotels in Havana and would not recommend any of them.

We are scheduling our arrival in Havana for the Monday knowing that the ship does not sail until late on the Tuesday. But all thing going well we will be in our cabin for the overnight on Monday, allowing us time for evening tours. I believe the gangway remains open 24 hours as some of the organized tours which entail gala night shows don't return until very late.

Hope this helps

Chimo

We pre booked and have stayed at three separate full service and somewhat expensive hotels in Havana and would not recommend any of them.

Does this include the Nacional? I'd like to stay there for my post-cruise night, or at least spend more time there than I got on my quick tour. Will need to book my pre- and post- when I'm in Mexico next month, since the hotel sites must be considering my IP address in the results I'm seeing (and withholding a lot of the booking options).

Does this include the Nacional? .

Sorry, cannot speak for the Nacional as it was not one of the three involved. We found that with these major hotels, previously privately owned and now government run and operated, the basic service is laissez faire to indifferent with a fair amount of entrepreneurial activities offered by hotel workers, which could have ended even worse than they did.

HI all!

Ron ~ great video!:D It does show Cuba just as it is.

Martha/Liz ~ nice to see you here. Have you moved down east yet?

burm ~ have to agree about Vinales. I think the shot of the pink hotel is there, Los Jazmines. The new stop should be closer to Vinales than the others were.

I can hardly wait to you all get to go & come back to say what you thought of Cuba.

Chimo!

~ Jo ~ :)