My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Where to begin.... First and foremost one does not have to wait until the payment date before making full payment and can do so at any time before the stated one-month-before-sailing cut off. Some may prefer to prepay in the quoted Canadian dollars and have the confirmation and receipt of that out of the way.

We have been allowed to prepay our gratuities in Canadian dollars which have now been charged to our account. We could have purchased the drink package separately and in Canadian dollars but, in itself, it represents a higher unit cost than that included in the total tour package. Taking into consideration our daily drink consumption, one alcohol, one none, we do not see any financial advantage in a prepaid package in either currency and will pay our bar bill in U.S. while aboard. Hope this helps.

I have just copied and pasted this from the Cuba Cruise website, partner FAQ's, which has been changed since I last saw it (I had to paste it in Word, then re copy as it would copy to here for some reason - this had changed the font etc.):-

Product: Are meals served buffet style?

Note: All meal seating arrangements onboard are subject to passenger numbers, shore excursions timing, special evening performances, etc. Changes to meal times, open restaurants, and whether meals will be served buffet or a-la-carte will be reported on passengers’ daily schedule each day. As a general rule the following applies:

Breakfast is served buffet style in Amalthia Restaurant (Ouranos Deck 8), as well as at Leda Casual Dining (Hera Deck 9).

Lunch is served “a la carte” in Amalthia Restaurant (Ouranos Deck 8), as well as buffet style in Leda Casual Dining (Hera Deck 9).

Dinner is served “a la carte” or buffet at the discretion of the Maitre d’. Dinner restaurants are Amalthia Restaurant (Ouranos Deck 8), and the Olympus Restaurant (Dionyssos Deck 5).

There is a wealth of other info there as well - they say dining times 6.30pm and 8.30pm for instance.

Edited by tring

After speaking to Holly, we elected to have the alcoholic drinks packages added to our account. We will also prepay our gratuities so that everything will be charged and paid in Canadian dollars. With the constantly mounting dollar exchange difference, even if we leave the value of some undrunk drinks behind, we will still feel that we have gained some advantage. Who knows where the rate will be at the end of January- that is 4 months away. We do not intend to take any of the excursions as neither we nor our friends from Oregon enjoy the large bus tours that are offered and have always been more than pleased with any private tours that we have picked up dockside. We pay less, learn more, and spend less time as opposed to the ship's tours. And because we board in Montego Bay, we would be starting behind the 8 ball, paying for five tours but getting only 4.

Nikki

Edited by gubby

Just had a conversation with our US friends. Apparently they have been informed that they MUST purchase the excursion package because of the ongoing embargo. He says he called People to People and it was a very confusing conversation. The cruise line will not allow them on the ship without the excursion package according to people to people and they also must make an additional donation of $ 95 to the company. He wants to know if any other American citizens have received this same information. Must US citizens purchase the excursion package, and is a donation to People to People required?

Thanks for clearing up this situation.

Nikki

Edited by gubby

Just had a conversation with our US friends. Apparently they have been informed that they MUST purchase the excursion package because of the ongoing embargo. He says he called People to People and it was a very confusing conversation. The cruise line will not allow them on the ship without the excursion package according to people to people and they also must make an additional donation of $ 95 to the company. He wants to know if any other American citizens have received this same information. Must US citizens purchase the excursion package, and is a donation to People to People required?

Thanks for clearing up this situation.

Nikki

U.S. Dept. of State - Tourist travel to Cuba is prohibited under U.S. law for U.S. citizens and others under U.S. jurisdiction.

The U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) has issued general licenses within the 12 categories of authorized travel for many travel-related transactions to, from, or within Cuba that previously required a specific license. Travel-related transactions are permitted by general license for certain travel related to the following activities, subject to criteria and conditions in each general license: family visits; official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations; journalistic activity; professional research and professional meetings; educational activities; religious activities; public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions; support for the Cuban people; humanitarian projects; activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes; exportation, importation, or transmission of information or information materials; and certain authorized export transactions.

Americans on Cuba Cruise will be sailing under People to People agreement. Cruise price includes 4 excursions (embarking in MB), prepaid gratuities and open bar package.

Not too sure of the prepaid gratis nor the bar package being part of the deal. I was asked if we wanted the drink package & turned it down

We booked directly with Cuba Cruise last month. Our Booking shows excursions, prepaid gratuities and open bar included in price shown online. A very good deal.

Thanks for the replies about People to People. Our friends are prepared to buy the excursions but not sure about the donation to P to P. Did anyone have to donate this $ 95. The package price they were quoted from Cuba Cruise was

in the neighbourhood of $277 CDN. This for the excursion package only. They were also told they MUST stay with the excursion and could not do anything on their own. This from People to People office in NYC. Any comments on that directive would be greatly appreciated.

Nikki

On previous cruises there were American citizens who just booked the cruise through Canada, legally or otherwise, and boarded in Montego Bay. As the ship does not enter U.S. waters there should be no need for the carrier to monitor compliance to foreign laws and restrictions or verification of fees paid to organizations outside of that of the cruise company. If they are now doing so, it is likely the result of political pressures or a means to forcibly include the sale of excursions, etc., in the booking price. The loss of the Canadian acumen is now evident.

Thanks for the replies about People to People. Our friends are prepared to buy the excursions but not sure about the donation to P to P. Did anyone have to donate this $ 95.

Previously on the Cuba Cruise website, the People to People registration was a "tax deductible affiliation contribution of $75"

Hi all!

Anybody been watching "Cuban Chrome" on the Discovery Channel? It's mostly about guys trying to fix up their old American cars but has scenes & tidbits about life in Cuba. Some beater type cars are used for local taxis but the really nice cars are hired out to tourists for a higher price.

Apparently rubber is hard to come by in Cuba so for gaskets they use cardboard. Also there were more 1959 Cadillacs sold in Cuba relatively speaking, than in the USA.

Sounds like the cruise has really changed. Isn't Dugald in Alberta involved any more?

Chimo!

~ Jo ~ :)

Apparently rubber is hard to come by in Cuba so for gaskets they use cardboard. Also there were more 1959 Cadillacs sold in Cuba relatively speaking, than in the USA.

Sounds like the cruise has really changed. Isn't Dugald in Alberta involved any more?

You reminded me of the entire day our driver spent trying to find motor oil for his '51 Chevy. I wonder what he went through before his was able to fix the cause (and effect) of the leak.

I am so grateful that we took this cruise when we did. I am sure it is still great, but it does seem that customers were treated better in the past.

They said at the time of the name change that it was merely a matter of branding, but that does not appear to be the case.

Good question about Dugald.

I look forward to hearing what Ron has to say after this season's cruises.

...I look forward to hearing what Ron has to say after this season's cruises.

When we were saying our goodbyes to Carlos the maitre d' after our final week we added, "See you next season". He scrunched up his nose a bit and shook his head. When asked why he merely said he doubted he would be aboard. It is our contention that the management transition occurred when the ship reached Barbados on the trans Atlantic crossing to Cuba. There the nemesis of Peter Post boarded the Crystal and things seem to go downhill thereafter. If anyone can correct me on this please do but we feel that the financial failure of the original Cuba Cruise in the second year of it's three year charter contract resulted in Louis Cruises taking control of the venture and then splitting it off from Louis to a new subsidiary in Cypress.

We love Cuba and for us each port of call is always interesting and different. But with five of these cruises under our belt and a booking for three more, it is obvious that the ship plays a much larger part in our annual Caribbean adventure. So although we feel we have witnessed the first changes in the cruise management, we anticipate more and hopefully this time around a positive more, and we promise to keep everyone informed of our impressions.

Edited by ONT-CA

. . . We love Cuba and for us each port of call is always interesting and different. But with five of these cruises under our belt and a booking for three more, it is obvious that the ship plays a much larger part in our annual Caribbean adventure. So although we feel we have witnessed the first changes in the cruise management, we anticipate more and hopefully this time around a positive more, and we promise to keep everyone informed of our impressions.

Thank you for continuing to keep us informed. You, and others, have shared invaluable information.

We have booked a Cuba Cruise for January 2016 (we booked when prices were quoted in CAD for the cruise only). Coming from the U.S., we are very excited about our trip. With the upcoming changes, it sounds like last season was the time to go. We hope to make the best of our upcoming cruise. As the saying goes, "The best time to plant a tree was yesterday. The second best time, is today."

Are the excursion packages and drink packages quoted in CAD or USD? Is it possible to pre-pay gratuities? If so, what is the price? (When we booked, the auto gratuities were quoted as 10 CAD per person, per night.)

Our booking is priced in CAD, and the final payment isn't due until some 30 days before sailing. Is there any advantage to paying this off now?

Thanks.

... Are the excursion packages and drink packages quoted in CAD or USD? Is it possible to pre-pay gratuities? If so, what is the price? (When we booked, the auto gratuities were quoted as 10 CAD per person, per night.)

Our booking is priced in CAD, and the final payment isn't due until some 30 days before sailing. Is there any advantage to paying this off now? Thanks.

It would seem that your booking in Canadian dollars got in just under the wire. We are not totally sure if this new offer of an all inclusive package in Canadian dollars that was offered to us is available to U.S. passengers but the message did say, "It's being sold to all North American passengers, so we don't want you to be left out onboard!" I would suggest you contact the company to determine your situation as the offer expires November 30th. If applicable, they will give you the Canadian dollar pricing variables for the all inclusive, with your chosen beverage packages. The $10. per day gratuity is a separate matter and you can choose to have that charged to your account in Canadian funds to be paid at the time of your final payment. The outcome of your communication with them might indicate that making final payment in Canadian dollars early might prevent any changes down the line. Good luck on your relative status.

Edited by ONT-CA

HI all!

I had notification from Trip Advisor about a new post on the Cuba Cruise thread so here it is, fwiw:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k6858809-Louis_Cristal_Cuba_Cruise-Cruises.html

Too bad if the Canadians are out of it, especially since they got it up & running which couldn't have been easy!

Chimo!

Hi again.

Thanks for that info woody73. It'll be interesting to hear what, if any differences that will make other than the change in currency.

I just heard a commercial saying "Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown" is visiting Cuba on the show at 9 pm on CNN Sept 27. I have never watched the show but will try it. Other places visited in the 8 episode season are Marseilles, CA Bay area, Istanbul & Charleston & 3 others I forget.:o

Apparently Cuba Cruise is now being run out of Piraeus, Greece, instead of Alberta, Canada.

We are in Piraeus on 5th Oct at the end of a cruise - does anyone know what their address is in Pireaus? We have been to Athens before and do not see the point in returning, so we can feel a visit to CC offices coming on. If I find them, I will post as much info as I can get on our return.

We are just about to eat lunch and go to the airport, so I will not be able to post a thank you if anyone has the address - so can I say thank you now in the hope someone can help.

Cheers,

Barbara

I decided to take this cruise after reading about it last year. Most of the passengers had such good things to say about it. When we booked in March, I was quite disappointed to find that there was no longer the circumnavigation of Cuba as in the previous two years, but we thought that it was still a deal and a good way to travel and see much of Cuba and meet its people. Two days in Havana also appealed to us. We talked our cruise friends who reside in Washington state to take it as well, and therefore had to board in Montego Bay. To us the ability to pay in CDN was a huge advantage and keeps on being so advantageous.

Now we find that due to US government regulations, our friends MUST take the excursion package, will not be allowed to leave their tour, and the onboard exchange will be in US dollars. Of course, we are still going to Cuba, seeing it before big US corporations spoil it and got a good deal in comparison to what Carnival will be charging when it starts visiting in May. However, I am extremely disappointed in how many changes have been made. If we had not already purchased air, I would be very tempted to cancel. I am sure that we will still have a great time and learn much. But there is a level of disappointment and mistrust to start this cruise with.

Nikki

We are in Piraeus on 5th Oct at the end of a cruise - does anyone know what their address is in Pireaus? We have been to Athens before and do not see the point in returning, so we can feel a visit to CC offices coming on. If I find them, I will post as much info as I can get on our return.

Main Office Address:

Celestyal Cruises

8, Ant. Ampatielou Str.

185 36 Piraeus

Greece

Phone: 1-416-848-4189

Barbara, please post what you learn.

Woody

We are just about to eat lunch and go to the airport, so I will not be able to post a thank you if anyone has the address - so can I say thank you now in the hope someone can help.

Cheers,

Barbara

This is on the terms and conditions page of the website:

All cruises featured in the Website are offered for sale by Celestyal Cruises S.A. (“Company”), with its correspondence at 8 Antoniou Ampatielou, Piraeus 18536, Greece. Reference to “Carrier” in these conditions is a reference to the owners, charterers and/or managers of the vessel at issue. - See more at: http://yourcubacruise.com/terms-and-conditions#sthash.rCFA3hg2.dpuf

The website still mentions Canadian currency in use onboard in some FAQ. It is disconcerting to get conflicting information.

Apparently Cuba Cruise is now being run out of Piraeus, Greece, instead of Alberta, Canada. .

On our trans Atlantic cruise from Piraeus, Greece to Havana, Cuba last year we were led to believe that all charges to our shipboard account would be made in Canadian dollars but such was not the case. Cuba Cruise did apologize for the error as the TA leading up to the Cuba Cruise season was considered a Louis Crystal cruise and as such charges were to be in Euros. However, it being the same ship with the same crew we were more than pleased with the crossing. Thereafter however it became apparent that the control of the business was in a flux and as we now see the spin off of the venture leads to Celestyal Cruises registered in Cypress. The transition has been a bit of a dog's breakfast in matters of charges, currencies and itinerary. I personally feel that the offers of two-for-one, drinks included, children go free, only painted this wonderful and unique cruise as suspect. And in losing Antilla and Punta Frances but gaining an alternate beach and an additional day in Havana the Crystal takes on an image more of a hotel rather than an adventure ship to cruise around the island of Cuba.

When remaining restrictions to American travellers are removed I would like to see this cruise scheduled with embarkation only out of Havana. They say that the ferry systems from Miami to Havana should be operational next year. Pre and post sailing allows for personal individual touring of Havana at one's own discretion which could then leave the cruise to encompass and cover as much of this wonderful country as possible in it's 7 day sailing.

This is on the terms and conditions page of the website:

All cruises featured in the Website are offered for sale by Celestyal Cruises S.A. (“Company”), with its correspondence at 8 Antoniou Ampatielou, Piraeus 18536, Greece. Reference to “Carrier” in these conditions is a reference to the owners, charterers and/or managers of the vessel at issue. - See more at: http://yourcubacruise.com/terms-and-conditions#sthash.rCFA3hg2.dpuf

The website still mentions Canadian currency in use onboard in some FAQ. It is disconcerting to get conflicting information.

The phone number shown to me is a Toronto 416 number, but I see that your link is 1-855-364-4999 which I guess is like a 1-800 free call number.

The Celestyal Cruise web page makes no mention of the Cuba cruises. There is just a time gap in the sailings from November to February.

I played around with the Celestyal website and it looks like 30 210 4583400 might be their phone number in Greece.

Edited by KandCsailing