My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

... Of course, we are still going to Cuba, seeing it before big US corporations spoil it and got a good deal in comparison to what Carnival will be charging when it starts visiting in May. However, I am extremely disappointed in how many changes have been made. If we had not already purchased air, I would be very tempted to cancel. I am sure that we will still have a great time and learn much. But there is a level of disappointment and mistrust to start this cruise with.

Nikki

Nikki, stay the course, you won't regret it. From what we know of these "tours" they can be over and done with in no time leaving you and your friends to do your own thing thereafter. These changes mid stream are a nuisance but as you say, best see Cuba NOW!

To woody73: Can you advise us if you were able to retain your Canadian pricing and whether or not you will be restricted to the conditions laid out for "People To People"? Thanks.

Ron,

We were forced to add an "all-inclusive" package to our booking (consisting of an excursion package, a beverage package, and pre-paid gratuities). They said the excursion package is to satisfy the People to People program.

Our balance is still in CAD and due 30 days before sailing.

Woody

Ron, that is the same info our American friends got. They were quite happy to make final payment which they made in US dollars but converted from CDN. He says they only paid 1200 USD for a bill of 1660 CDN. That was for the excursions, drinks and gratuities for 2 people. They had already made an extra payment after their deposit. We have made an agreement with them to bring extra CDN dollars and exchange for US dollars to save them the extra 10% and to save us the bank rate on buying some US dollars for our time after the cruise. Whatever the exchange rate is on Dec 23 will be our rate as we will be leaving for our US winter trip to South Carolina on Dec 26. He thinks they will want to convert $ 500 USD. As they will be on prepaid excursions while in Cuba, do you think that is about right. Should it be more or less. I know everyone spends differently but they will want to buy an occasional drink, maybe some food and a couple of souvenirs.

Nikki

...I know everyone spends differently but they will want to buy an occasional drink, maybe some food and a couple of souvenirs.

Nikki

Two points, Nikki; one, I believe the Cuban government has now cleared the way for the use of US credit cards in Cuba and one can even open a bank account there. So the previous 10% surcharge on US currency may not now apply. Hopefully someone can confirm this for us. And although one US dollar will buy one CUC, it will cost us an estimated $1.35 CDN for the same CUC. But who knows, the Canadian dollar might strengthen by sailing times.

Two, when one can purchase a beer for 1.CUC or a lobster dinner for 10. CUC, or as we have said, a fresh catch of the day fish luncheon for 3.CUC, you can see that a little money goes a long way in Cuba (or at least it did... :rolleyes:)` Taxis can be expensive, a 10 CUC fare could cost 25. CUC if you fail to negotiate the fare before departure. As to souvenirs, a country with so much need, hardly has much of a souvenir industry but we have managed to pick up a few CD's of Cuban music running at about 5-10 CUC each. Hope this helps

Chimo

Ron

What about the Medical Insurance issue for US citizens. I havent called Blue Cross yet but I am certain they will tell me they do not cover if, in fact, they have even heard of Cuba. Are there independent companies ? What is the best way to handle this. Many thanks

Edited by BruceE

What about the Medical Insurance issue for US citizens. I havent called Blue Cross yet but I am certain they will tell me they do not cover if, in fact, they have even heard of Cuba. Are there independent companies ? What is the best way to handle this. Many thanks

Here is an entry from Trip Adviser on this subject.

"I just emailed my Insurance " Blue Cross " 2 days ago and they told me they need the exact names that are on your passport and the dates you will be in Cuba. So I sent all my information by email and the very next day she emailed my letter back to me with our names & dates on the letter stating what coverage we have through them. We printed off 3 copies as we go through security separate & not as a family.... we also made a extra copy to keep in our suitcase."

So it appears that Blue Cross will cover you while in Cuba

We've used Travel Guard in the past.

Thanks for the reminder of proof of insurance. DH just called our insurer and they are sending us a letter, approved by the Cuban government, that shows we have the insurance needed. They must get a lot of requests if they already have such a letter.

Nikki

Thanks for the reminder of proof of insurance. DH just called our insurer and they are sending us a letter, approved by the Cuban government, that shows we have the insurance needed. They must get a lot of requests if they already have such a letter.

Nikki

With all of the five cruises taken to Cuba not once have we been asked for proof of medical insurance. We have it and we suggest you bring yours but don't be surprised if no one asks for it.

Chimo

Ron

He thinks they will want to convert $ 500 USD. As they will be on prepaid excursions while in Cuba, do you think that is about right. Should it be more or less. I know everyone spends differently but they will want to buy an occasional drink, maybe some food and a couple of souvenirs.

In March, I converted $125 Canadian (~$100 U.S. at the rates back then) to 96 CUC... and still had almost half of it left over by the last day of the cruise. Bought a LOT of postcards :) Everything was so inexpensive. U.S. travelers are currently limited to $400 U.S. in items brought back to the U.S., of which $100 can be alcohol and/or tobacco products. It's always difficult to gauge what someone might want to spend, but it would be a good idea to convert smaller amounts so that you're not left with a lot at the end. The exchange fee is charged again if you convert leftover cash back to Canadian/U.S./Euros.

Thanks for the information on amounts to convert. We wouldn't like to spend the exchange rate twice so will advise our friends accordingly. As for us, I assume we can use our bank card if we can find ATM.As we did a huge cleanout and got rid of lots of stuff in the house this spring, I certainly have

no intention of buying any more. Cash for excursions, beers and perhaps a couple of meals on land will be sufficient. Of course, DH will require a new t shirt.

Nikki

I assume we can use our bank card if we can find ATM.

You shouldn't have problems with any card drawn on a Canadian bank, but I would confirm this with your bank. We had no problems with ATM's, but I would only use them during bank hours, just in case the machine ate your card for any reason (such as the ATM running our of money, which I am told can happen).

If you use your card at a Cadeca or bank, be sure to take your passport. Be aware that only one person at a time can approach the teller. They are really strict about this, even if someone cannot speak Spanish and would like to take along someone to interpret.

Of course you will have to learn line etiquette before going to the bank. :D

http://hereishavana.com/2010/09/29/keeping-in-line-cuban-style/

I explained the Cuban line system to DH before we went, and he was so proud of himself when he lined up at the Cadeca and a man came up behind him and asked, "el ultimo?". I wish I could have gotten a picture of the way DH's face lit up when he knew the appropriate response. :p

Thanks for the head's up re: line etiquette, burm. We will take both of our ATM cards and pray that there are no eating machines. That is still safer than carrying cash, and it ensure not a lot of leftover Cuban cash. I will still be nervous carrying the CDN dollars for our friends. Other than the airport in Montego Bay and the travel to FLL for our flight, I feel secure enough, but must remember to keep a close eye and a tight grip on belongings until we are on the ship. Do not have good memories of other trips to Jamaica. Beautiful country and great resorts, but the towns make me feel insecure.

Nikki

Thanks for the head's up re: line etiquette, burm. We will take both of our ATM cards and pray that there are no eating machines. That is still safer than carrying cash, and it ensure not a lot of leftover Cuban cash. I will still be nervous carrying the CDN dollars for our friends. Other than the airport in Montego Bay and the travel to FLL for our flight, I feel secure enough, but must remember to keep a close eye and a tight grip on belongings until we are on the ship. Do not have good memories of other trips to Jamaica. Beautiful country and great resorts, but the towns make me feel insecure.

Nikki

I think that Cuba today is probably one of the safest countries in the world. There are no guns, even petty theft is rare, and that big scary looking guy following behind you is likely to stop and ask you if you need directions- or hand you the wallet you dropped.

DH actually commented that he has never felt safer walking down the street of any foreign country after withdrawing cash. There might be a number of idle men watching you with curiosity as you walk away, but they never bother you.

Not to say that you should not use common sense, but generally speaking, Cuba is still exceptionally safe.

Either from local news broadcasts or too many films noir, we tend to bring along our paranoia when visiting a foreign country. We spelled out ours in posting #2005 on page 101. Now, when visiting Cuba, our biggest fear is of self embarrassment.

Either from local news broadcasts or too many films noir, we tend to bring along our paranoia when visiting a foreign country. We spelled out ours in posting #2005 on page 101. Now, when visiting Cuba, our biggest fear is of self embarrassment.

That was a good story and you told it very well. :D

In addition to the one weekly flight from New York to Havana on Fridays, JetBlue have announced an additional weekly flight on Tuesday of each week. This can tie in to the sailing of the Crystal on Tuesday evening but at the cost of the loss of one night's accommodation aboard.

The scheduled extra night in Havana prompted us to fly into Havana on the Monday to meet the full week's booking but with a safeguard of having that one day grace in the event of bad weather, where a late arrival on the Tuesday still permits us to catch the actual sailing.

I think that Cuba today is probably one of the safest countries in the world. There are no guns, even petty theft is rare, and that big scary looking guy following behind you is likely to stop and ask you if you need directions- or hand you the wallet you dropped.

DH actually commented that he has never felt safer walking down the street of any foreign country after withdrawing cash. There might be a number of idle men watching you with curiosity as you walk away, but they never bother you.

Not to say that you should not use common sense, but generally speaking, Cuba is still exceptionally safe.

And on a comparative point in the news these last couple of days, even more so.

HI all!

Nikki ~ that's a good question!:(

Don't know if any of you are watching the docu series "Cuban Chrome" but it gives some insight into life in Cuba as well as the guys' search for parts for their old vehicles. The divorce rate there is 70%!! Some attribute that to having to live with family or economic pressures. It's quite easy & cheap to get one too.

Seems like there's petty crime amongst Cubans eg locking up their cars so nobody steals the parts, but not against tourists. I'm surprised that some of them have big screen tvs, cell phones & hundreds of dollars to spend on the cars.:confused:

Last episode they showed Raoul Castro & Obama on tv announcing lifting the embargo & how happy the people were.

Anyhow I guess I digressed from the Cuba cruise but it's still about Cuba, the reason for the trip.;)

Have a nice weekend.

~ Jo ~ :)

... Seems like there's petty crime amongst Cubans eg locking up their cars so nobody steals the parts, but not against tourists. I'm surprised that some of them have big screen tvs, cell phones & hundreds of dollars to spend on the cars.:confused: ~ Jo ~ :)

Jo, one can appreciate the value they put on their car parts for there are only so many to go around and they become more scarce as time wears on. They do what they can with what they can find for I have been in a Dodge with a Chevy motor and a transmission from, I think he said Pontiac, brakes by the angles I imagine... If money cannot buy automobile parts then the parts are more valuable than money.

And there are some very rich Cubans that have family ties in the US from whom they receive their support. There are many foreign nationals living in Cuba who have all the comforts of life that are available, the key word being available. Based on a simple labourers income, our monthly Canadian OAS would represent about two years salary. Ideally it would be a great place to retire except for the fact that what is the point of having money if you can't find the things you want to spend it on. That situation will eventually improve as the blockade is dismantled but so then the cost of living and so it will go on.

The disparity among Cuban nationals was a serious problem with those in the tourist trade receiving gratuities, especially those for example on the ship as they would use this income to purchase all sorts of things while in the port of Montego Bay and bring it home with them and I mean things like small refrigerators and air conditioners. The Cuban government have placed a maximum value on such imports now because of the disparity among their fellow citizens. The sooner the blockade is lifted the happier everyone will be and no more so than travelling Americans.

Chimo

Ron

Edited by ONT-CA