My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

In Havana we walked up to a desk on the ground level right beside where we got off our transfer bus. A women there tagged our bag and then a gentleman put it behind her in a fenced area. We then walked upstairs to change money, check in, get our temperature checked and then walked further to the customs/security before boarding the ship.

Thanks for the replies about luggage labels, which appear to be called tags over there. It is reassuring to know that it has not been standard for anyone to have them ahead of the cruise date, but we will put something on the cases as a precaution. We hope we do not have to take our luggage up any stairs as we have 30kgs luggage allowance on our premium flight, so are thinking of taking 3 cases, (though hopefully not too near the full allowance), as we will not have access to a launderette during our one month stay and individual pricing for laundry is never cheap.

It is not normal or expected to tip the luggage handlers at the ports over here and likewise we have never tipped anyone if arriving in another country for a fly cruise, and have never seen or heard of anyone else tipping then either, but we do not use the American cruise lines. Life is a lot more simple over here - we were surprised to find the tipping situation in Canada is much like the US. Having to calculate tax as well as exchange rates in shops to know how much something will cost was somewhat bizzarre from our perspective as well. Our Canadian relatives tell us there has been some thoughts of changing the tax situation, but I imagine any change will just cause confusion for some Canadian nationals.

Looks like we are all prepared to go now, but hope to book the trip to the nature reserve from the beach and possibly something from Santiago de Cuba, if there are better offerings when all trips are disclosed. We are half inclined to go it alone in Santiago as we are well used to hassle in Africa etc., but from what was said about disembarkation in last years reviews, we are wondering how long it will take to get off the ship independently, (if trips are given priority), and we will only be in port for a short time, so may leave the decision till on the ship. With so many US citizens on their schemes we are thinking most of the passengers could well be on pre arranged trips.

Cheers and thanks again for all your help,

Barbara

Edited by tring

There was an elevator in the Havana pier terminal. We just didn't take it to go up the one (big) floor.

That sounds better - see your point though, waiting for lifts is not the way to spend your life.

Thanks

That sounds better - see your point though, waiting for lifts is not the way to spend your life.

Thanks

I can barely remember boarding in Havana because we were whisked so quickly through the terminal and into our cabin that we barely had time to let the details sink in.

It seems to me that we dumped our bags (wondering if we would ever see them again, but they efficiently arrived in record time), walked past an empty elevator with open doors, and took the escalator.

There was no waiting anywhere and we practically ran through the terminal. This is the advantage of a smaller ship.

We had booked this cruise back in March after following along with this thread for the past 2 seasons. I feel as if I already know many of you as I contribute regularly to a thread that includes Kerri, Burm and Jo. I just started following again because I know there are many great tips posted by previous visitors aboard this ship. I am aware that the itinerary has changed but still should be able to benefit form your shared knowledge.

We will sail from Montego Bay on Jan 22 because we are travelling with dear friends of ours that we met while cruising around South America in 2010. I cannot express how excited we are to be going on this fantastic voyage and seeing the places, meeting the people, experiencing the adventure of all that is Cuba and exploring what the Crystal has to offer. The idea of perhaps travelling with a full ship as opposed to your former less than full cruises is a little disconcerting, but even the tp situation in not new to us and therefore not a problem. I may from time to time have some questions for you experienced Cuba cruisers and will pose them here. Ron, it is my understanding that you are booked again for sailing in the new season, and I wonder if we will be able to meet up. I certainly hope so as it is my understanding that we are almost neighbours. We live just south of Bancroft with plans to move to Kingston in the spring.

Every time I log in to this thread, I get just a little more excited about the upcoming adventure and often get that familiar feeling I experienced as a kid early on Christmas morning. That is entirely due to the wonderful way you guys have expressed your joy about your Cuban adventure over the past seasons. So thanks very much. I look forward to continuing to chat with you over the next few months as part of the cruise anticipation.

Nikki

Hi Nikki,

This is the first reference I've seen to our sailing date (jan 22, Montego Bay). I wish there was a roll-call list for these cruises. We are also sailing with friends from a previous cruise. It looks like this sailing will have two large groups (both Globus and RoadScholars have a few days on this ship during that week).

Anyway, still reading, but wanted to connect with another Jan 22 passenger.

Hi Nikki,

This is the first reference I've seen to our sailing date (jan 22, Montego Bay). I wish there was a roll-call list for these cruises. We are also sailing with friends from a previous cruise. It looks like this sailing will have two large groups (both Globus and RoadScholars have a few days on this ship during that week).

Anyway, still reading, but wanted to connect with another Jan 22 passenger.

kahtrav, we are on the Jan 22 sailing from Montego Bay.

Join us on our roll call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2198192

Woody

Hi I'm on the Jan 22 sailing out of MoBay. I did start a roll call as the Louis Cristal. I'm fully paid up, in $CDN, including the US Citizen mandatory booze, tour and tip package. A great deal compared to Globus and Road Scholar. The "People to People" program seems very informative and comprehensive. Tom

tommyskibear@sbcglobal.net:)

HI all!

We boarded the ship both times in Montego Bay which has a terminal all on one floor. I had made up a tag with our cabin number on it but another was added at the check in mid terminal & given over there.

kahtrave ~ last year people tried having a separate roll call for each cruise but there weren't enough people so most chatting was done here. Maybe this year will be different.

tring ~ thanks for the explanation about the cruise headquarters. Glad you got everything sorted re your cruise.

Yes Canada is pretty much the same as the States with the tipping.

I'm going on Thomson Dream so look forward to their no tipping policy.

When I was in England in June every time I saw a price in pounds I thought "oh that's $2 our money".;)

Chimo!

~ Jo ~ :)

... We hope we do not have to take our luggage up any stairs as we have 30kgs luggage allowance on our premium flight, so are thinking of taking 3 cases, (though hopefully not too near the full allowance), as we will not have access to a launderette during our one month stay and individual pricing for laundry is never cheap.

Save for the single stone threshold one must master, the terminal is at ground level where you will be relieved of your luggage before proceeding to either the escalator or the manned elevator. We always allow a void in your luggage allowances to accommodate souvenirs etc.. Ship laundry service is excellent, fast and inexpensive for the generous amount of items permitted per issue

It is not normal or expected to tip the luggage handlers at the ports over here and likewise we have never tipped anyone if arriving in another country for a fly cruise, and have never seen or heard of anyone else tipping then either, but we do not use the American cruise lines.

The "extortion" I referred to was never greater than when we were in Southampton as we Canadians erroneously relate a "fiver" to five of our Canadian dollars and of course the recipients know this only too well.

Our Canadian relatives tell us there has been some thoughts of changing the tax situation, but I imagine any change will just cause confusion for some Canadian nationals.

The main difference between our HST and your VAT is that your VAT is about 25% higher

... we are wondering how long it will take to get off the ship independently, (if trips are given priority), and we will only be in port for a short time, so may leave the decision till on the ship.

With such a limited size passengers list there has never been a numbering system or a line formed to disembark. Simple public announcements are made to direct you. As you will have to go through an immigration procedure at each and every port, one should learn to relax and enjoy the great warmth of the climate and our Cuban hosts.

ONT

Thanks for the reply, but regarding your comment:-

The "extortion" I referred to was never greater than when we were in Southampton as we Canadians erroneously relate a "fiver" to five of our Canadian dollars and of course the recipients know this only too well.

This concerns me, if as I understand it a baggage handler was actually asking or implying they should be tipped no matter how much was suggested. In our experience people just hand over the cases and they are just put straight onto the automatic luggage belt. If a member of staff is trying it on in this manner I would be of the opinion that they should be reported. I know asking for tips happens in Africa and other undeveloped places, but our staff will be paid a wage and any action like that would give the country and the port a bad reputation and is unlikely to be tolerated by the employers. It could well be a disciplinary matter. I do not, of course, know what happens generally when people with North American accents arrive at a port in our country, but I really hope this is not widespread.

We tip about 10% in restaurants and taxis if service is good and occasionally may give a small amount to bar staff, but otherwise tipping here is highly unusual here.

Sorry I started rambling about tax, which is way off topic and I did not intend to start an international dispute. Our Vat is 20% but is added to the marked price before sale. It is the tax being added at the till to the marked price which we found difficult.

Having read a number of reviews from last year, there was a lot of mention of queues to leave the ship as everyone had temperatures taken etc. and the Cubans were not hurrying. Again I was musing (I will have to stop it), but it would seem logical that if there are a lot of trips to be dispatched, priority could well be given to the trip people next year, even if that was not done in the past. Santiago De Cuba is our main concern as we have not been there before and the shorter time in port, compared to last year, was a particular disappointment to us. We will have to see how next year goes, but as we do not sail until the 29th Feb we should get a good idea about how things are going, after all the Cubans will have to get bigger ships disembarked this year.

My sister in law in Newfoundland tells me her young grandaughter in Montreal rang yesterday to tell her it was snowing. Memories of our childhood excitment when snow fell came to mind, but presumably adults have mixed feelings over there, although at least your country can deal with winter conditions when ours cannot!! That is undisputed superiority on your side.

Cheers,

Barbara

Edited by tring

I doubt it, and anyway surely it's your responsability to find out the exchange rate of the country you're in, not the recipient ( who probably thought you were american).

Our Canadian relatives tell us there has been some thoughts of changing the tax situation, but I imagine any change will just cause confusion for some Canadian nationals.

The main difference between our HST and your VAT is that your VAT is about 25% higher

VAT in the UK is only 20%??:confused:

I doubt it, and anyway surely it's your responsability to find out the exchange rate of the country you're in, not the recipient ( who probably thought you were american).

VAT in the UK is only 20%??:confused:

Your are probably right but my point was that the "holier than thou" position expressed does not applied to any of the world's cruise terminal handlers, at least in our travel experience.

And as far as I could ascertain it has been 20% since 2011

I take great exception to the statement that I had made a "Holier than thou" comment and consider that to be extremely rude.

I was merely commenting on the differences in our cultures. We were informed on the ship as we were approaching Cananda that tipping is widespread and expected there as the country has followed the US in it's well known culture in that respect. I accept that as a fact and behaved as expected when in Canada on a, 'When in Rome', basis and would do so in all other countries. It is, I thought, also known that Britain is quite different in that respect - to the extent that I expect many North American's consider us mean. That, however is Britain and I thought a bit of advice to the real situation would not go amiss to prevent people being mislead.

I still do not see the need for such rudeness.

Our booking includes 5 excursions and I see now updated info on the Transat website for this cruise. We will not likely take all included trips as have done some before on other trips.

This cruise is so intriguing I am not minding the unknown.

http://www.transatholidays.com/en/South/Cuba-Cruise-Discover-a-Cuba-beyond-the-resort?ID=55578&tmpl=DO

Thanks, even though we booked directly with Cuba Cruise (from USA)for Jan 22 , info. here is helpful.

U.S. Dept. of State - Tourist travel to Cuba is prohibited under U.S. law for U.S. citizens and others under U.S. jurisdiction.

The U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) has issued general licenses within the 12 categories of authorized travel for many travel-related transactions to, from, or within Cuba that previously required a specific license. Travel-related transactions are permitted by general license for certain travel related to the following activities, subject to criteria and conditions in each general license: family visits; official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations; journalistic activity; professional research and professional meetings; educational activities; religious activities; public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions; support for the Cuban people; humanitarian projects; activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes; exportation, importation, or transmission of information or information materials; and certain authorized export transactions.

Americans on Cuba Cruise will be sailing under People to People agreement. Cruise price includes 4 excursions (embarking in MB), prepaid gratuities and open bar package.

Hi Kiwi935,

The info re: People to People is helpful - however, please clarify if the last paragraph about Cuba Cruise is on the US site or your addition. From what Cuba Cruise has said (at least earlier web versions), they don't ask for the People to People, it's only for return to US with Cuba as a destination - still waiting for a bit to do the people to people registration since it seems the USA rules are changing week by week.

Ron,

We were forced to add an "all-inclusive" package to our booking (consisting of an excursion package, a beverage package, and pre-paid gratuities). They said the excursion package is to satisfy the People to People program.

Our balance is still in CAD and due 30 days before sailing.

Woody

Hi Woody,

Do you have any current info. re: the People to People Registration requirement for US citizens? I know this isn't the place for official info, but it's helpful. We missed the CAD pricing (just waited a little too long) and by the time we booked, the excursions were included - still a good deal and our first time to Cuba :-)

Thanks, Karen

Hi Woody,

Do you have any current info. re: the People to People Registration requirement for US citizens? I know this isn't the place for official info, but it's helpful. . .

Karen,

The information and links are on the Cuba Cruise website.

Try this page http://yourcubacruise.com/your-cuba/travelling-cuba

Woody

Karen,

The information and links are on the Cuba Cruise website.

Try this page http://yourcubacruise.com/your-cuba/travelling-cuba

Woody

Thanks, Woody. I haven't been on the website for awhile - it was changing every day for awhile there and I figured I'd wait for it to get sorted out. I'll go back and check it all over again now.

A noted point of interest for the US passengers joining the cruise; The officials at the Cuban immigration tables, upon seeing a US passport placed before them, held their stamp above it and waited for the passenger to state if he should or should not stamp it. The officers then followed the passenger's request. Be prepared to answer this animated question.

Edited by ONT-CA

A noted point of interest for the US passengers joining the cruise; The officials at the Cuban immigration tables, upon seeing a US passport placed before them, held their stamp above it and waited for the passenger to state if he should or should not stamp it. The officers then followed the passenger's request. Be prepared to answer this animated question.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know we had a choice.