My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

I just started reading this thread after booking today through Transat for Jan 25th. from Toronto. This whole new way to see Cuba is intriguing!

I was less than happy trying to get info from the CC website or phone service. Transat did have more cabin selections than the website allowed although I could not pick the actual cabin just the category. I was told the 5 excursions could be swapped out and any upcharge would be applied. I cannot find what the other options are or could my Transat rep.

I was ask to pick dining time for either 6pm or 8 pm. for the week, so not sure if that is flexible once on board.

I think this is a wait and see situation so I will try to control my pre planning inner self!

Edited by Bryna123

I was ask to pick dining time for either 6pm or 8 pm. for the week, so not sure if that is flexible once on board.

I think this is a wait and see situation so I will try to control my pre planning inner self!

Now that is interesting since this is an edited version of the email I received about dining times:-

Yes, you can let me know of your preferred dining time , I will note your booking. We do not need to have the information right away.

Early dining is at 6:30 pm, late is at 8:45 pm

We chose early (6.30pm) as 8.45pm is too late for us - we will not be happy if we are made to turn up to eat at 6pm! It would seem the plot is thickening rather than "coming together". I thought there is a self service where you can go at any time during the meal service, but I am not sure if I am imagining that one. Perhaps someone who has been onboard previously can help regarding that - I would be appreciative if someone can.

Edited by tring

8:45! I will be asleep in my chair :) I just checked our document and it just states dining late. It was the travel rep that said 6 or 8 pm. I was going to pick 6 but thought that too early if we were off ship most of the day hopefully snacking on local food.

It may be me who was given the wrong info. It was from the Cuba Cruise office, but it was last March, so they could have changed their proposed times.

This is so different to cruises where you have a brochure were all that sort of thing is explained. There are only a couple of very small agents over here who deal with Cuba Cruise and I think they are both in London, so we were not able to use a local agent.

Edited by tring

...We chose early (6.30pm) as 8.45pm is too late for us - we will not be happy if we are made to turn up to eat at 6pm! It would seem the plot is thickening rather than "coming together". I thought there is a self service where you can go at any time during the meal service, but I am not sure if I am imagining that one. Perhaps someone who has been onboard previously can help regarding that - I would be appreciative if someone can.[/color][/color]

[/color][/font]

The major problem with the dining times is that no two seasons have been alike. The first year they were lucky to have enough passengers to keep the staff occupied. Then the second and their numbers improved but not to the point of opening the second dining room. Now it appears there will be two dining rooms in service with two seatings. But here is what happened last season:

EARLY BIRDS

Leda Buffet, Hera Deck 9

(Continental Breakfast)

6:30 am - 7.00 am

BREAKFAST

Amalthia Restaurant, Ouranos Deck 8

(Buffet)

7:00 am - 9:30 am

Leda Buffet, Hera Deck 9

(Buffet)

7:00 AM - 10:00 AM

LUNCH

LEDA BUFFET, HERA DECK 9

(Buffet)

12:00 Noon - 2::00 pm

AFTERNOON TEA

LEDA BUFFET, HERA DECK 9

4:00 PM - 5:00 PM

DINNER

1st Seating (Sit Down) 6:00 pm - 6:15 pm

2nd Seating (Sit Down) 8:15 pm - 8:30 pm

To offer you an excellent service, the doors

of the restaurant will close 15 minutes after the

beginning of each seating. Please be on time

Leda Buffet, Hera Deck 9

(Buffet)

6:30 pm - 9:00 pm

ALBERTA STEAK HOUSE Hera Deck 9

(Speciality Restaurant)

6:30 - 10:30 pm

(cover charge)

Hope this give you some idea as to their patterns but until we get aboard, who knows.

I've been reading this thread all day, fascinating stuff! I am looking to book soon (although my hubby isn't quite as thrilled :) I have alot of the same questions that some have had regarding whether the "all-inclusive cost" comes with drinks and land excursions included or not.

My biggest question right now is how to book. Should I feel comfortable booking online directly with Cuba Cruise website? My other option it appears would be to go through a travel agent in Florida, but I live in Wisconsin and feel comfortable booking flights on my own. Any suggestions or advice?

I'm sure I'll have more as I continue to research, but it sounds like there is a great group here that has some experience with this trip!

Today on the radio it was announced that there will be direct flights from L.A. to Cuba; however, I would think that there would be a stop in Miami. Sorry, I didn't catch which airline.

I am booked for an 8-day land tour with KFI-640 radio at the end of March and the air is from LAX > MIA and then a Charter flight to Habana. ;)

The major problem with the dining times is that no two seasons have been alike. The first year they were lucky to have enough passengers to keep the staff occupied. Then the second and their numbers improved but not to the point of opening the second dining room. Now it appears there will be two dining rooms in service with two seatings. But here is what happened last season:

DINNER

1st Seating (Sit Down) 6:00 pm - 6:15 pm

2nd Seating (Sit Down) 8:15 pm - 8:30 pm

To offer you an excellent service, the doors

of the restaurant will close 15 minutes after the

beginning of each seating. Please be on time

Leda Buffet, Hera Deck 9

(Buffet)

6:30 pm - 9:00 pm

ALBERTA STEAK HOUSE Hera Deck 9

(Speciality Restaurant)

6:30 - 10:30 pm

(cover charge)

Hope this give you some idea as to their patterns but until we get aboard, who knows.

Thank you very much for that reply. It seems as we thought that there are no firm plans and they did not even use the times I was given last year.

When you mention "Leda Buffet", do you mean that it is entirely self service, with open seating offered, even between the 6.30pm to 9.30pm time frame last year? If the ship is very full I am now thinking it could be difficult to get into there next year, but I suppose we will have to wait and see. Have they offered room service in the past and, if so, during what hours?

Sorry if I seem a little thick, but I am having a bit of trouble understanding some Canadian terms, although your posts seem fairly clear.

I've been reading this thread all day, fascinating stuff! I am looking to book soon (although my hubby isn't quite as thrilled :) I have alot of the same questions that some have had regarding whether the "all-inclusive cost" comes with drinks and land excursions included or not.

My biggest question right now is how to book. Should I feel comfortable booking online directly with Cuba Cruise website? My other option it appears would be to go through a travel agent in Florida, but I live in Wisconsin and feel comfortable booking flights on my own. Any suggestions or advice?

I'm sure I'll have more as I continue to research, but it sounds like there is a great group here that has some experience with this trip!

I'm still reading too!

I was told by 2 different Transat agents that yes, all meals, all drinks, port fees, taxes,gratuities, and 5 excursions are all included in the advertised price. It really makes it easy to budget! Transat also includes the airfare from Toronto and transfer from the Havana airport and back.

If you want to swap out for a different tour you would pay any price difference but not get a refund if you chose not to go. I have done 2 of the tours already on other land trips so I am interested in finding out prices and other options.

HI all!

I have a lovely 6 page folded cardboard brochure with deck plans etc about Cuba Cruise for the 2013/2014 season & in it the restaurants have different names eg La Scala on deck 8 & Traviata on Deck 9.

There's also the Caruso terrace bar & restaurant which we only saw used for the safety drill.

kwbluvsun ~ welcome to the thread! Both times we've booked with our TA in BC. The 1st time she just booked the cruise & we booked the flight to Montego Bay from Toronto.

Last time she booked a package through Air Transat which included the flight, cruise & the small beverage package. There was the option to book transfers but having seen how busy the airport is in Mo Bay we elected to find our own way to the ship to be ahead of the bus.

Maybe as an American you should book through Cuba cruise as they would know best about what, if anything special, you need to do.

I'm almost wishing we were going again just to see the differences in season 3!

Chimo!

~ Jo ~ :)

Edited by retiring soon
typing error

kwbluvsun ~ welcome to the thread! Both times we've booked with our TA in BC. The 1st time she just booked the cruise & we booked the flight to Montego Bay from Toronto.

Last time she booked a package through Air Transat which included the flight, cruise & the small beverage package. There was the option to book transfers but having seen how busy the airport is in Mo Bay we elected to find our own way to the ship to be ahead of the bus.

Maybe as an American you should book through Cuba cruise as they would know best about what, if anything special, you need to do.

I'm almost wishing we were going again just to see the differences in season 3!

Thanks for the information and the nice welcome! I think I feel pretty comfortable booking through their site and booking my own air, rather than working with an unknown TA.

Another question for you, is it OK to book a flight into MoBay on the day of departure? I can find a non-stop flight that arrives in MoBay at 2:20 pm, and it appears that the ships departs at 8 pm. I've only flown into MoBay once, but had no big delays. Looking for advice from those more well-traveled than myself. I'd book a day ahead of time if I had to, but it will be hard to do with my teaching job - they frown on a personal day off the day before break begins. But as a history/government teacher, maybe they'd be OK with it! I'm so excited to be researching this awesome opportunity!!

...When you mention "Leda Buffet", do you mean that it is entirely self service, with open seating offered, even between the 6.30pm to 9.30pm time frame last year? If the ship is very full I am now thinking it could be difficult to get into there next year, but I suppose we will have to wait and see. Have they offered room service in the past and, if so, during what hours?...

First and foremost, Room service is chargeable. Other than a continental breakfast, the menu is really just a type of fast food. I believe it is served anytime.

The Leda Buffet is not a very large venue. Even with low passenger numbers the room showed difficulties in seating everyone with the exception of at Afternoon Tea. Our main use of the Leda was to retrieve coffee first thing in the morning which by comparison to other cruise line is an ambrosia. (Pack a thermos type cup) Plus the Leda is a great place to grab a quick burger when on the run.

Last season, with the exception of the gala evening, the Amalthis Dinning room was used for breakfast, lunch and dinner. For breakfast and lunch, the tables in the centre of the long room were turned and converted to the Buffet with open seating. From dietary health foods to English breakfasts they had it all. This room layout was maintained for lunch which was varied, again with open seating. For dinner, the dining room was returned to a full capacity layout with directed seating in two seatings. But that was then. I know of no passenger who could tell us what to expect this season.

It should be mentioned that while in port there are some very fine and inexpensive restaurants not to be missed. Yes, your lunch aboard has been paid for but we have dined ashore on some wonderful and unique foods that should not be missed. Remember, one cannot go back to Cienfuegos, Cuba for lunch every other Wednesday...

Chimo

Ron

Edited by ONT-CA

... I'm almost wishing we were going again just to see the differences in season 3!

Chimo! ~ Jo ~ :)

"Then close your eyes and tap your heels together three times. And think to yourself, 'There's no place like Cuba."

Chimo

Great info on dining Ron!

From what I gather reading through, the meals should be a higher standard then a typical 4* all inclusive in Varadero? We had excellent food when we stayed in Guardalavaca at Sol Luna Mares, but aside from that, the food is always a big disappointment in Cuba, especially at resorts in Varadero. Cold buffets, flies and wiping tables with never changed rags have turned us off Varadero. I would love to spend my vacation dollars in Cuba instead of Mexico, but the land based vacations never measure up.

I don't want to sound too negative, the food in Cuba was always a known let down. I am just hoping to see better on the ship!

What beer do they serve aboard?

DH and I avoided Cuba for years, because of their reputation for poor food, but I have to say that we were very pleasantly surprised last year. We stayed in 2 different private homes, before and after cruise, and had many wonderful meals in places recommended to us by Cubans. The worst meal we had was also by far the most expensive- a tourist place with a show. The best meals we had cost us $10 for lobster and a stunning view of the mogotes in Vinales, and pork schnitzel for $4 in a delightful tropical garden.

There is definitely a restaurant underground in Cuba. We went to one place where we had to have an introduction to get past security. Two places that were highly recommended to us had recently been shut down after being discovered by gov't officials. :)

The worst meals will always be had in government owned restaurants!

Agreed, many great meals can be found, but for most travelling AI it isn't the main experience. Lots of speculation to reasons why, like theft of goods by staff, but IMHO the Cubans have been swayed by generous tourists that feel bad for their circumstance. They have as always, learned to make the most of what they have. If we expect less, they deliver it.

Just my observation that the ""asking"" tourists for things has gotten rampant due to the tourists handing stuff out freely. I don''t like feeling I am being taken advantage of.

This cruise I have expectations, like better food and service, not expecting 5*, a crazy level, just maybe at the Mexico level. Then I can enjoy the beauty of Cuba without the hurdles.

...There is definitely a restaurant underground in Cuba. We went to one place where we had to have an introduction to get past security. Two places that were highly recommended to us had recently been shut down after being discovered by gov't officials. :)

The worst meals will always be had in government owned restaurants!

I couldn't agree more. One of the best restaurants we visited displayed a portable neon "OPEN" sign which was conveniently removed from sight when necessary...

I'm sorry Bryna123 but the only beer brands that come to mind are Bucanero and their most popular one, Cristal. I'm sure there are many others but I am a Manhattan afisianato and after several required tutorials, Carlos the barman delivered only excellence thereafter. :D

Hi again!

kwbluvsun ~ the 1st time we took the cruise we went in a day early to Mo Bay as we wanted to see Rockland Bird Sanctuary plus I always feel safer coming from here in winter doing so.

Last time we went in day of but it was a Transat flight & booked through them so I felt a bit better about it. Our flight arrived at 12:10 pm so we had plenty of time & were able to have lunch onboard.

As a history/government teacher this is an amazing opportunity for you!

Bryna123 ~ the food is fine on the ship. I've been to Cuba 6 times before the 2 cruises & never had a problem with the food. We had the best roast pork ever off the hand turned spit at our hotel near Santiago de Cuba.

Ron ~ cute!;)

burm ~ hi!:D

Chimo!

~ Jo ~ :)

Thank you again ONT for your very well explained account of last years arrangements. It is more evening that is bothering us, we do rely heavily on the availability of a self service on the odd occasion that we book a cruise with set sittings. At least it seems some sort of food will be available with room service if we cannot get into the self service. From the reviews of the ship I do not expect good food onboard.

To be honest with restaurant constraints, the itinerary change, thoughts of a very overcrowded ship, having to put the toilet paper in the bin, the fact that we will have to pay for drinks and a couple of excursions when they have been offering those included at the same price as ours in Euros for the last couple of months and the fact that they do not reply to my emails, I would much prefer to cancel while we can and make further land based arrangements in Cuba. My husband, although unhappy, does not think that is necessarily the best way to go as yet, so our decision is yet to be made. I am sure the company would prefer us to cancel, so they could sell our cabin at a much higher price in the US, so I wonder what sort of so called customer service will follow our current experiences. Ok this our personal opinions and I have now had my rant which has been coming on for a very long time, so I will leave it there.

We stayed in The Blau, Varadero a couple of years back and we had excellent food and service, even compared to some good places worldwide. The Reviews are still excellent and that is one hotel we are booked into for next March. We also had really excellent food at both the a la carte restaurant and with the Cabaret Parisien show done at the Government owned Nacional De Cuba Hotel in Havana. There was a lovely snack bar in The National which we chose to use for breakfast in preference to the crowded self service restaurant. We also did well on an overnight trip to the south for all meals. All those restaurants were indoors, so flies were not an issue at all.

Must admit we were surprised at the excellent quality of food and service, considering general comments that are made about Cuba on forums, but we did do our homework and booked accordingly. I think it is an individual hotel/restaurant issue rather than specific resorts, and all hotels offered by UK companies in Varadero have much better reviews than some hotels they offer in the East of Cuba, where flies on the buffets seem to be an issue.

Barbara

Edited by tring

I couldn't agree more. One of the best restaurants we visited displayed a portable neon "OPEN" sign which was conveniently removed from sight when necessary...

It is still a very strange feeling to approach a couple of young men who look like thugs, lounging in a doorway, and whispering, "Jorge Solano sent me". :D

We were never steered wrong.

It is still a very strange feeling to approach a couple of young men who look like thugs, lounging in a doorway, and whispering, "Jorge Solano sent me". :D We were never steered wrong.

Probably the best restaurant was found one night when a voice in the night sounded "Pssst". As a well travelled tourist I had expected the voice to continue "You want woman?" So it was surprising to be invited instead into a restaurant for dinner by this call of the wild.

On one occasion I wanted to photograph the waiters at the entrance of their establishment as a plug, asking them to hold their arms out toward the entrance, palms up signifying their welcome. They were so busy looking up and down the street the whole point was lost.

But for our friends who will be travelling to Cuba for the first time or parts of Cuba for the first time here is a photo of one of the restaurants we enjoyed. They are usually small and intimate and they make you feel you were the only customer of the day. They do what they can with what they have and it was always enjoyable.

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag158/ONT-CA/Florida%20Blanco.Cienfuegos.1_zpssjkorvso.jpg

Edited by ONT-CA

I just started reading this thread after booking today through Transat for Jan 25th. from Toronto. This whole new way to see Cuba is intriguing!

I was less than happy trying to get info from the CC website or phone service. Transat did have more cabin selections than the website allowed although I could not pick the actual cabin just the category. I was told the 5 excursions could be swapped out and any upcharge would be applied. I cannot find what the other options are or could my Transat rep.

Just realized that we will be aboard together and most probably on the same flight. We have to sympathize with those who are struggling with the all unknown and who are trying to dot all the "i's" and cross all the "t's". We haven't been asked about dining times and will sort that out with Carlos when we get there. How often have you arrived only to find out your selections have been applied incorrectly anyway? Everything can be fixed.

When it comes to this cruise the old adage applies, "It's great to be popular but hell to be the rage". When the travel gates to Cuba were opened and the demand soared, surely it will take some time to straighten everything out. But after all, we do have 4-5 months. The concerns for overcrowding should only be with those of us who had enjoyed previous cruises with so few aboard. Perhaps a little less pampering this time around. But most have sailed with a full ship before. And I believe the prices do reflect our choices in including or not the drink package and tours. We chose the early 20% discount and can purchase or not these other offers when aboard if we so wish.

Transat flight from Toronto TS148 Jan 25th. It seems so far away right now! We are flying in to Toronto on Sunday in case of bad weather which has happened to us before on previous vacations. Never a good way to start vacation.

I am confident there will be some surprises once on board, and that's o.k!

I had read somewhere (scouring the internet) that the ship can hold 1200 passengers but they book only 800 max. for the Cuba cruise. Of course no way to verify that I know of. Maybe someone else can add some insight to the number of passengers?

As for the included excursions. We were never a fan of the "cattle bus" and the lines that come with large groups, so may not take part in any. I have no problem getting off ship and booking something with a local. What were some of the excursion highlights from those of you who had taken previous trips? Hubby will want to dive at Maria La Gorda. Does the ship offer that as an excursion? Were there snorkel excursions offered?

I must stop with the questions :) I am just a little excited!

As with others here, I am quite excited about this upcoming cruise. Not having info about excursions is a little bothersome, but I have decided today that because the 20% off deal ends shortly, I can temper my enthusiasm for a couple of weeks in hopes that the website may be more forthcoming at that time. We already have planned to use the HOHO bus in Havana, perhaps do the Tropicana and walk everywhere. As we will board in MB, there is a beach day, and a sea day, there is not too much to worry about.

For those who have done this before, I may start asking about excursions once they are posted, but like Bryna123, we would rather do our own thing and avoid lines and the couple from every excursion who hold everyone else up.

Nikki

Edited by gubby