My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

HI all!

Enjoying following the thread even though we won't be doing the cruise again. We did have a great time both times we did & Cuba is such a fascinating country!

Marco4444 ~ welcome to the thread & Cruise Critic!:DLots of information here to help you plan your Cuba cruise.

Kerri ~ Oh no, not the bowling shirt reference!!:p When Ron was looking for a guayabera in Kingston the menswear salesperson said oh we don't sell bowling shirts here!
I bought Gerd a nice white one at the market at Holguin & he wore it on the "formal" night. He also wore it just around here the other day to my chagrin as it looks special to me.:(

Chimo!

~ Jo ~ :)

[quote name='ONT-CA']A reminder that the new issue of [I]WHAT'S ON HAVANA[/I] is now available, free and online

[url]http://us3.campaign-archive1.com/?u=3e08884c93dafe6c9b5b9d315&id=f2971c5ea6&e=0524880b1d[/url][/QUOTE]
Burm - there's a stretch Lada taxi on the cover!
[quote name='retiring soon']Kerri ~ Oh no, not the bowling shirt reference!!:p[/QUOTE]
Sorry Jo.
[I]"The Guayabera: A Shirt’s Story explores the changing uses and significance of the guayabera, a traditional piece of menswear worn by Latin American and Caribbean populations. Recognized for its functionality and style, the garment’s best-known characteristics are its four pockets and two vertical stripes of decorative pleating and/or embroidery. The precise origin of the guayabera is uncertain, though it is believed to have emerged in Cuba in the late 19th century. Also referred to as a Mexican wedding shirt, the garment is popular in Mexico and the American states to its north."[/I]

[quote name='neepawa']Here is an interesting article on my favorite cruise line, Oceania.

[url]http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6477[/url]

Cheers,

Don[/QUOTE]

Oceania is our favourite cruise line, too, but I would be willing to bet that they don't embrace the Cuban experience as well as Cuban Cruise does. It will be like any other O cruise. Once you are on board that O ship, you could be in Tahiti, Oz, or the Caribbean and you do not notice the difference until you set foot on land.

I have to admit that I love O's new "lobster on demand" grilling stations, but I prefer Cuban Cruise prices.

Also, the relative shabbiness of the Louis seems to somehow fit this particular destination very well. Slightly shabby but happy and comfortable.

As FDR is Cuban born, I can see why he would be happy to have his ships going there. :)

My thesaurus denotes "shabby" as:

crummy
decaying
decrepit
desolate
dilapidated
dingy
pitiful
ramshackle
ratty
rickety
scruffy
seedy
shoddy
squalid
tacky
tattered
threadbare
worn
bare
bedraggled
decayed
degenerated
deteriorated
deteriorating
disfigured
disreputable
dog-eared
faded
frayed
mangy
meager
mean
miserable
moth-eaten
neglected
poor
poverty... for but a few...

Surely we can come up with a better description for our Crystal. How about "Mature", "Seasoned", "Mellowed". I love this ship because it is more traditional, comfortable and relaxing. In essence it is more ship per dollar (and Canadian at that) than any of the "marbled, neon lit, spiral staircase, ascending upward to yet another duty free shop" vessel than I can think of.

While I stand by my description of "[B]relative [/B]shabbiness" compared to Oceania, I also agree with everything you say. It is not a crystal staircase that makes or breaks a cruise. Not for me, anyway.

I suspect that the same people who think the Louis is not elegant enough will probably not appreciate all the things we particularly love about Cuba.

[quote name='burm']While I stand by my description of "[B]relative [/B]shabbiness" compared to Oceania, I also agree with everything you say. It is not a crystal staircase that makes or breaks a cruise. Not for me, anyway.

I suspect that the same people who think the Louis is not elegant enough will probably not appreciate all the things we particularly love about Cuba.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Purple"][B]I am so looking forward to both the ship and to my introduction to Cuba. Most people on this thread for the past 3 years have conveyed their overall satisfaction to everything about this particular cruise, and I am sure it will be more than satisfactory. After all, for the price we are paying, one should not expect first class. The entire experience will be new and exciting.

Nikki[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] Edited by gubby

[quote name='gubby'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Purple"][B]I am so looking forward to both the ship and to my introduction to Cuba. Most people on this thread for the past 3 years have conveyed their overall satisfaction to everything about this particular cruise, and I am sure it will be more than satisfactory. After all, for the price we are paying, one should not expect first class. The entire experience will be new and exciting.

Nikki[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Nikki, I believe you will find the Louis far more than satisfactory. While it is not posh, it is clean, comfortable, well maintained, crewed by wonderful people, and the entertainment is excellent. It is also a very nice size so that you are never fighting crowds. I would rather sail on the Louis than on any of the colossal new ships.

I wish I could be on your cruise, because I would love to meet you in person. :)

Hi all!

Have to agree with what burm says. If the ship weren't as nice as it is would people like Ron be going on it again & again? We liked it enough to go twice & it was a different experience each time, 1st time like being on your own private yacht!. I really liked the last time meeting 8 CC

people especially burm & Kerri who I'd chatted with for years on the Eh thread.

I have a better chance than you to meet Nikki, burm as she's not that far from here yet it hasn't happened yet.:(

I can hardly wait to hear everyone's impressions of Cuba & Crystal!

Chimo!

Hi all!

Don ~ was that the last time you were there? If so imagine how it's changed in all that time!!:eek:

By Googling I see there is a dinner & show option but that's not offered through the cruise line. Also read a couple of TA reviews & somebody mentionned a dress code, no shorts.

Jo

Yes, my only visit to Cuba was in 1960. My TA is checking the optional shore excursion from the ship or DIY.

Cheers,

Don

Our first visit to Cuba was in 1976. We couldn't get over the fact that everything in the tourist villa we stayed at was made in the Soviet Union, television, refrigerator, you name it and it had a hammer and sickle on it. But that was then and not now. Our most recent hotel TV and other amenities were all made in China just as those found at home. But little else within the tourist milieux has changed much, and that is a high that one gets with time travel like this. The young people may get a kick at seeing a 1948 Dodge go sailing by but, to those of us who OWNED and drove a 1948 Dodge at one time, that is extacy personified. Never mind back to the future how about forward to the past?

Edited by ONT-CA

With so many American citizens now joining us in visiting Cuba I thought that it would be appropriate to mention something that visitors to the island have been doing for many years. While on excursions, particularly in the remote areas, invariably someone on a bus will ask the guide to make a quick stop at a local school. There they would dismount and quickly deliver their gift to the school. Some will bring along boxes of pencils, some pens, others tooth brushes and paste, anything that a school would have need of. Their is such a wonderful expression of appreciation in a land where there is and has been a shortage of just about everything. You might want to give this a thought if you are so inclined. FYI

Edited by ONT-CA

What a difference a couple of years makes. My brother was looking at doing this cruise with us and when he looked on Friday, the ship was fully booked. For those who cruised here in '13, who woulda thunk it!

I am still waiting to hear about excursions and drinks. The web site is not too helpful, and I am wanting to make final payment soon so that the money is taken care off long before due date. I abhor using a cell, and do it only for necessities. I guess that I am going to have to break down soon and call them.

Nikki

HI all!

Nikki ~ wow, you got that right, who woulda thunk it?:eek: Sure is going to be a different experience than we had, feeling like we were on our own private yacht! You should get a whole new dining experience too as they never opened the other restaurant either time we sailed.

Good luck with booking your add ons & final payment.

russianmom ~ in view of what Nikki's said you better make up your mind as there may not be space available if you wait.

There sure has been a lot about Cuba in the news lately. I see from CC that cruise ships are still rescuing Cubans at sea too.

Have a great week.

Yes, I do think we are in for a bit of a shock when it comes to the number of passengers that will be aboard this coming season. When we joined the trans Atlantic cruise there were fewer than 100 of us. Now that is a private yacht feeling for sure.

But as the stated maximum number of 1,200 passengers is applicable to their Mediterranean cruises, according to the maitre d', when discussing our upcoming return, the Cuba adventure calls for a maximum of 800 due to dining schedules. I hope this is so.

It is our understanding that there are at least four groups sailing aboard the Crystal which might be the reason that there are sold out conditions within some weeks. But as these are scattered periods perhaps by checking alternate weeks desired bookings will be found.

With so many American citizens now joining us in visiting Cuba I thought that it would be appropriate to mention something that visitors to the island have been doing for many years. While on excursions, particularly in the remote areas, invariably someone on a bus will ask the guide to make a quick stop at a local school. There they would dismount and quickly deliver their gift to the school. Some will bring along boxes of pencils, some pens, others tooth brushes and paste, anything that a school would have need of. Their is such a wonderful expression of appreciation in a land where there is and has been a shortage of just about everything. You might want to give this a thought if you are so inclined. FYI

This sounds like a terrific idea. The authorities didn't object?

Certainly not. We have witnessed and participated in these transactions several times. Guides and drivers are most accommodating in giving you the chance to deliver your gift for they understand the needs. And of course the school is delighted in receiving something, anything that is useful in helping their students.

I am still waiting to hear about excursions and drinks. The web site is not too helpful, and I am wanting to make final payment soon so that the money is taken care off long before due date. I abhor using a cell, and do it only for necessities. I guess that I am going to have to break down soon and call them.

Nikki

I aggree that the website is somewhat annoying in that respect, I did try an email to two different email addresses of their's, but got no response from either. We do not want to ring from the UK, so will leave it a bit longer, but the quality of customer service from Cuba Cruise is not good.

Someone said on a roll call that he was told they would contact him after he made the final payment, so I do not know if he heard anything. It sounds a bit suspicious if they will not let people know the details before the final bill is paid.

Edited by tring

I aggree that the website is somewhat annoying in that respect, I did try an email to two different email addresses of their's, but got no response from either. We do not want to ring from the UK, so will leave it a bit longer, but the quality of customer service from Cuba Cruise is not good.

Someone said on a roll call that he was told they would contact him after he made the final payment, so I do not know if he heard anything. It sounds a bit suspicious if they will not let people know the details before the final bill is paid.

For those of us who went through the inaugural Cuba Cruise we well understand the frustration. For us it was; Is the cruise on? Who do we deal with? Is the ship really coming from Greece? Should we gamble on flights without confirmation? Every day for almost a month we checked computer sites that showed where the ship was at the moment just to make sure it was at least headed to Cuba... But all for naught. Everything fell into place and we sailed as promised and as intended and without a hitch.

In our current situation, where we booked last March and were told that the final payment would not be required until December, we began to wonder again. But based on our experience we booked our flights and in a way appreciate that payment requirements are late. I have a feeling that information will be more forthcoming once we pass the early booking 20% discount. That is when specials and booking combinations were presented last year and assume the same will be the norm this year.

Further to our post, this year we are bringing enough four-piece combination Triangles, Centimeter Ruler, and Protractor Sets for a class of 30. They are thin, light weight, (our luggage), in metric and very inexpensive to buy. Ergo the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.