My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Perhaps we could make arrangements nearer the time to meet up onboard

Sounds great, Barbara! I wouldn't worry too much about the communication issues dealing with the company. I had a LOT of them leading into the trip I took in March. Having booked just 3 weeks prior to the sailing and needing to arrange air and figure out the completely new regulations affecting U.S. travelers made things quite difficult. I had a virtually impossible time connecting to anyone at Cuba Cruise by phone, and emails took several days to be answered. As others have said, this is a small company, and I'm sure the surge in interest created an overwhelming workload for the staff. (There are at least four of them in the Toronto office, based on my contacts... so Jane is not the only one there ;)) I took a fair amount of comfort from reading the thread here and seeing that things all seemed to go smoothly once passengers were on board the ship. Even getting my boarding pass was a bit of an ordeal and I only got it 48 hours before leaving home! But everything came together after all and I had such a beautiful time that I couldn't wait to sign up again :) Having all of these months before the sailing made it much easier to wait for an answer this time around. Fortunately, though it took two weeks, the currency situation has been successfully resolved on my booking and I can now relax and start looking forward to the sailing! :cool:

The news of a Carnival Corporation ship traveling to Cuba has generated a massive amount of interest here in the U.S. The rates are sky-high compared to Cuba Cruise but in line with many of the land packages being offered (though Apple Vacations will soon be offering land packages beginning in the low to mid $2000 range, which is comparatively "affordable"). Apparently inside rooms will in fact be available on Fathom, beginning around $2300 per person and not including any taxes and fees... While I'd love to sail to Cuba on one of the former Renaissance ships -- which are an ideal size for the Cuban ports -- I am not surprised by the high pricing. Even though the Fathom sailings will come with a slew of restrictions and requirements, I doubt they will have a difficult time filling the ship on the Cuba itinerary.

The pricing for creating a new booking with Cuba Cruise on the sailing in the same category is ~$800 US higher than the rate I booked at, possibly because the new pricing includes excursions and beverages... possibly "because they can." Very glad to have locked in the rate when I did!

A minor point but one that poses questions as to the identity of the company we are actually booking with. We note that all the photos of the Crystal currently being used to advertise the cruise no longer show the Cuba Cruise tropical floral motif across the bow of the ship but rather now bears the Celestyl star insignia. We had wondered why the floral design was removed when the ship was returned to Grecian service in 2014 but noted it had been added back again in 2015. The "CC" insignia found on the smoke stack was first thought to represent Cuba Cruise but of course could and most likely does represent Celestyl Cruises and/or Celestial Crystal. We trust Canada still plays a part in all of this and especially when it come to our use of Canadian currency aboard.

Interesting they are racking up the prices in the US but leaving them much the same in Europe. As said it could well be 'because they can' but I assume the necessary conditions of the people to people scheme will have some effect as well.

I have still not received a reply to my email even though it was sent more than 1.5 weeks ago now. All I have is the out of office saying Jane was not available between two dates in April and nothing at all from the general email address given on their website as a contact to find out about drinks deals which they say are available, (no info. of drinks included or prices on their website). You would think it would be an easy matter to provide, presumably, pre typed info about the packages, or at least to give a brief reply to say that they are busy and will reply when they can. We had already decided to leave our booking as it was, largely for insurance purposes, but the total lack of reply still leaves us a little wary of the future.

Currency onboard will make a little difference for Canadians given exchange losses, but is fairly small in the cost of the holiday overall. A change of admin could mean that customer service is affected though, which concerns us as we do not wish to have to make international phone calls and possibly left to hold on for a while. Changing the ship's livery twice a year did seem to be a waste of money from my point of view - that may only be a paint matter though.

It now looks like taxes will be going up in Greece and tax increases can usually be added to a pre set price for a holiday over here, so I am wondering if they could put prices up before we cruise. We have realised the terms and conditions we printed out when we booked say they applied until March 2015 and no others have appeared since! My husband, (who had a lot to do with UK and EU consumer law in his profession), is of the opinion that means there are no terms and conditions, which leaves us in a stronger position with no get outs for the company.............but then the contract was presumably made in Canada and would need to be changed with our agreements if it is now being dealt with by a European company.

Time will tell, enjoying summer in our home climates seems a better idea than getting concered about other things at present.

Hope to see you onboard in Feb/March oneidealvacation. We are in our mid sixties and my husband is 6 foot with a beard. I always wear glasses and am average size with shortish hair, probably brown - but that depends if I have got the hair dye out! I also blink more than normal because of a medical condition. We should be able to make better plans nearer the time.

Barbara

Edited by tring

That is an inordinate amount of time for a reply to your e-mail to CC. Something is amiss. We have been communicating with Julia at julia@yourcubacruise.com They did request however that we do not convey credit card information via an e-mail but rather by phone. But that is much easier and certainly less expensive for us to do over here.

Your comment about Greek taxes was interesting for this ship and company, although Greek, is registered in Cyprus and as such is not subject to Greek taxes. That is the crux of the whole problem over there, with this prime industry as the example, because their ships register elsewhere and then pay no taxes to Greece at all.

Our concern for exchange rate was based on the thought that they would convert currently posted prices to U.S. dollars for which we Canadians must pay a 30% exchange rate. With my bar bill that could be substantial...

...Hope we do not end up in port with the Opera! I see Cubanacan are doing the tours - it will be interesting seeing them try to organise tours for a ship of that size - especially if the passengers expect it to be like any other cruise port! .../QUOTE]

You are correct in that of the three passenger terminals available in Havana, two are but a shell of their former self due to the ravages of hurricanes and the subsequent lack of repair due to any requirement. The one serviceable terminal, and in that I have to give Cuba top marks for what they have achieved in it's restoration and ease of embarkation, handles one ship on each side of the dock. But it empties onto a main street where there are insufficient taxis as it is for the limited number of passenger on the Crystal let alone space for tour busses. Add to that the simultaneous disembarkation of a full compliment of passenger on the MSC vessel and all hell would ensue.

Thanks for the other email address ONT-CA. There is no rush, so I will leave it a bit longer before sending an enquiry to that address. Our deposit was paid through their website in Canadian Dollars and I hope we can do the same with the balance and/or any other payments. Hence it will be better to have any additional costs added to the bill prior to balance payment date - but that is a while off yet. We have a credit card that does not make a surcharge for currency exchange, if payment is made in that currency and the exchange rates given are not bad. Cuba cruise did not charge for using a credit card either, whereas here it is normal to pay 1.5% or 2% surcharge to UK tour operators if using a credit card, compared to using a debit card which is free.

I think I now see that you are concerned they decide to charge the same number of $US as they have done in $CAD previously. Time will tell, but as I say the Euro exchange rate is much the same for us, so they do seem to be charging more for US customers - for whatever reason. Looks like the Euro will remain fairly stable with the news this morning, but I suspect time will tell on that as well........

Are Cuba Cruise still charging similar prices for their cruises in Canada as they were when they first went on sale? Also, do they have any prices on your Canadian website for trips and or drinks packs - there are no prices on what I see from here and all trips say included? There is only one shortish trip for each port though and I would expect there to be more choices eventually.

My husband thinks our contract was made in the UK as we booked it and paid the balance on the net in the UK.

Just found the itinerary for MSC Opera in Cuba next winter.

http://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/Plan-Book/Find-Cruise.aspx

So it looks like The Opera is due to dock in Havana at 15.00 on the second day that the Crystal will be docked there, (e.g. docks 15.00 on the 1st March and we embark the Crystal on the 29th Feb). If our sailing time of 17.00, as mentioned on the CC website, is correct and there are no changes, there would be a 2 hour overlap in port before we set sail.

Are Cuba Cruise still charging similar prices for their cruises in Canada as they were when they first went on sale? Also, do they have any prices on your Canadian website for trips and or drinks packs - there are no prices on what I see from here and all trips say included? There is only one shortish trip for each port though and I would expect there to be more choices eventually.

My husband thinks our contract was made in the UK as we booked it and paid the balance on the net in the UK.

We have as yet been able to get into the booking system with the use of our booking number, those obtained back in March. However, on the Canadian site we found no mention of shore excursions being a part of the fare. And we are happy to say that the prices remained unchanged from those of March. No information on packages, drinks or otherwise, is as yet available. We do all such purchases aboard and wonder if that would be to your benefit if priced in CDN. We were of the opinion those in the UK would not be allowed to book directly with a foreign travel company as stated in other forums of Cruise Critic. Is that not so or has that recently changed?

You are correct in that of the three passenger terminals available in Havana, two are but a shell of their former self due to the ravages of hurricanes and the subsequent lack of repair due to any requirement. The one serviceable terminal, and in that I have to give Cuba top marks for what they have achieved in it's restoration and ease of embarkation, handles one ship on each side of the dock. But it empties onto a main street where there are insufficient taxis as it is for the limited number of passenger on the Crystal let alone space for tour busses. Add to that the simultaneous disembarkation of a full compliment of passenger on the MSC vessel and all hell would ensue.

Always one to believe a picture is worth a thousand words.... The new Google Earth shot includes the Crystal

http://s6.postimg.org/8zgc0wp4x/dock_1.jpg

Are there any American's out there who've booked this cruise using the People to People license with FFRD? It appears this specific information has been taken down from the cruises' web site but when I reached customer service by phone today, they said the information will be back up within a month!! We have time to figure this all out since we're not going until January 2016. I'm just curious how this will all work and what I should be prepared to do.

Also, is Cuba really serious about the need to provide proof of medical insurance? Does this happen when you enter the country? I heard you can buy insurance at the Havana airport but we're flying into Montego Bay and meeting the ship there.

Thanks folks!!!

...Also, is Cuba really serious about the need to provide proof of medical insurance? Does this happen when you enter the country? I heard you can buy insurance at the Havana airport but we're flying into Montego Bay and meeting the ship there.

Thanks folks!!!

Of our multiple arrivals at Havana airport and at the dock of the Crystal we have not once ever been asked if we were covered by this required medical insurance (which of course we are). But I would not take the chance at not having full coverage and then being asked to prove it. Not sure what the outcome of that would be. If your home personal insurance does not cover you for this travel we would suggest that you purchase something at home to cover this travel door to door.

Like the picture!

I have got into our booking details on the 'my cuba cruise' tab, using our booking number and email address. It certainly looks as though our booking is correct and it gives total price and outstanding balance (labelled as CDN) which is what we paid in, using our UK credit card. There also seems to be a tab to pay the balance. Our details on that section also include our UK phone number, labelled as (UK). We booked in March and subsequently changed our cabin grade and location, by email exchanges with Jane using our UK email address. Our total email exchange made it apparent we are from the UK as I said we have arranged flights from Manchester and hotels in Cuba before and after the cruise date, (having checked with her about the start dates from Havana next season).

It is also possible for us to book and pay for hotels abroad from the UK, using the hotel websites, so I am not aware of any restrictions against making bookings from the UK for abroad, as long as that facility is offered by the company concerned.

Our details on 'my Cuba Cruise' do say we can add excursions or drinks via the site but details of them are not available there - so I am now thinking they are not available online yet, as you say, but may become available. The details of some excursions are available by clicking on an 'excursions' tab on on the CC website though and it is there that they say 'included in cruise'. There are also flashes saying that drinks packages are available and can be clicked on, but do not give prices. The new site still seems to have a facility for new bookings, (in Euros), as I have done a mock booking as far as I can go, to see what is available now.

If excursions and drinks can be booked onboard, we can do that, but we usually prefer to have that sort of thing arranged before to prevent wasting holiday time in lengthy queues at reception or shore tours desks.

I do not think CC have asked for our passport details as UK operators do, but we will be in Cuba with a visa from 'Thomas Cook Signature', who have arranged our flight and hotels as a tailor made package, leaving a one week break for our 'own arrangements'.

Are there any American's out there who've booked this cruise using the People to People license with FFRD? It appears this specific information has been taken down from the cruises' web site but when I reached customer service by phone today, they said the information will be back up within a month!! We have time to figure this all out since we're not going until January 2016. I'm just curious how this will all work and what I should be prepared to do.

Also, is Cuba really serious about the need to provide proof of medical insurance? Does this happen when you enter the country? I heard you can buy insurance at the Havana airport but we're flying into Montego Bay and meeting the ship there.

Thanks folks!!!

On our last visit to Cuba a couple of years ago we just took the renewal details of our annual travel insurance with the extra medical conditions covered and it was fine, but I cannot remember were it was checked, if anywhere - probably the airport. I had asked about this on the trip advisor cuba thread and was told by regular travellers that was adequate proof. I agree that it is not worth trying to ignore the requirement, as it seems the Cuban aurthorities can be very keen to observe their requirements.

Edited by tring

Of our multiple arrivals at Havana airport and at the dock of the Crystal we have not once ever been asked if we were covered by this required medical insurance (which of course we are). But I would not take the chance at not having full coverage and then being asked to prove it. Not sure what the outcome of that would be.

You'll have to buy expensive Asistur coverage.

...You are correct in that of the three passenger terminals available in Havana, two are but a shell of their former self due to the ravages of hurricanes and the subsequent lack of repair due to any requirement. The one serviceable terminal, and in that I have to give Cuba top marks for what they have achieved in it's restoration and ease of embarkation, handles one ship on each side of the dock. But it empties onto a main street where there are insufficient taxis as it is for the limited number of passenger on the Crystal let alone space for tour busses. Add to that the simultaneous disembarkation of a full compliment of passenger on the MSC vessel and all hell would ensue.

Always one to use visuals, I wanted to show that the Havana Cruise Terminal empties out onto a very busy street. However, should the Cuban Tourist bureau keep abreast of our Cruise Critic postings, a humble suggestion to assist the anticipated large number of passengers to safely reach the very spacious square across the street where excursion busses await...

http://s6.postimg.org/pqa397h35/140610_304.jpg

http://s6.postimg.org/6z85z1mip/overpass.jpg

...the actual design of course in keeping with the splendid architecture

Thanks folks!!!

We are looking to go on the Jan 29th cruise. Am so excited to see Cuba before it changes. Gathering information and hope to book today!

Hi all!

Nice to see a lot of activity here! Even though we'll probably not go to Cuba or on the cruise again I'm still following along.

Did you see this company starting to cruise Cuba too? This is the company that had a little mishap in the St Lawrence River a while back I believe.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6448

Going to be getting crowded down there with all the new ships going.

Some of them are charging a pretty penny too!:eek:

~ Jo ~ :)

...Did you see this company starting to cruise Cuba too? This is the company that had a little mishap in the St Lawrence River a while back I believe.

Jo, a pretty penny indeed! A couple would be paying in excess of one thousand dollars per night for a standard cabin. I hazard to think what they are charging for a suite. And to think that for that kind of money they could be aboard the Crystal, in the Royal Suite no less, for almost three weeks... with the exception of course of our three weeks... Pity. Let them eat Consommé

Chimo

Ron

Edited by ONT-CA

Did you see this company starting to cruise Cuba too? This is the company that had a little mishap in the St Lawrence River a while back I believe.

Yes, that's the same ship that crashed into the lock in the Seaway the same weekend that the Crystal collided with the tanker! All of the activity is certainly raising the rates. A colleague of mine spoke with the groups department at Cuba Cruise today to question why the USD rates were so much higher than the Canadian dollar rate sheet amounts -- or the current online fares in Euros -- and they basically confirmed that due to the heightened attention on cruising to Cuba, the rates had been raised.

I saw that Globus is going to be sending groups on the Crystal next season and charging really high prices for it (3,000+ USD pp). Since my understanding is that Cuba Cruise has a full-ship charter during the months it's in Cuba, they had to be aware of this Globus deal (and Globus pricing). They likely saw the opportunity to raise rates significantly while still keeping them well below the Globus price point. The change to USD happened about a month ago, and given that Globus just announced their new season this week, things would have been in the works for a while now.

If excursions and drinks can be booked onboard, we can do that, but we usually prefer to have that sort of thing arranged before to prevent wasting holiday time in lengthy queues at reception or shore tours desks.

Last year it was possible to pre-buy, but they also had a kiosk available to buy excursions from right near the desk. The lines at the excursions desk were never too long, though... and I was on the cruise with the most passengers that Cuba Cruise had hosted to date. I think that the drinks package may have been available for purchase at any of the bars the first day of sailing as well.

Thanks folks!!!

I went in March of 2015. I have a detailed write up at oneidealvacation.wordpress.com that you might find helpful. We were told that we would have to show proof of coverage and were told to buy a specific policy from a company operating out of Jamaica. I went with my U.S. health insurance card, a copy of my annual travel insurance (Nationwide) and a copy of the travel/medical benefits from my credit card company (Chase). I did read all of the verbiage to see if terms like Cuba or embargo were mentioned, but it seemed that my coverage was "worldwide" without restriction. No one asked to see any of it (nor did I hear of anyone on board being asked). Apparently they do occasionally spot check to see if people have coverage, usually upon arrival at the airport in Havana or Varadero. In practice, from everything I've read, travelers are treated at no cost in Cuba, though payment would be appreciated. That's likely the reason they want to know people are insured.

Interesting they are racking up the prices in the US but leaving them much the same in Europe. As said it could well be 'because they can' but I assume the necessary conditions of the people to people scheme will have some effect as well.

Unless something changes for next season, Cuba Cruise has nothing to do with the admin of the people-to-people aspect of the trip. We all had to register separately with a non-profit out of New York to ensure we were compliant with U.S. regulations.

You would think it would be an easy matter to provide, presumably, pre typed info about the packages, or at least to give a brief reply to say that they are busy and will reply when they can. We had already decided to leave our booking as it was, largely for insurance purposes, but the total lack of reply still leaves us a little wary of the future.

Time will tell, enjoying summer in our home climates seems a better idea than getting concered about other things at present.

Well said! On both accounts :) In fact, I read your reply on the beach this weekend, and I'm just now getting around to replying :cool: Have to enjoy this weather when we can get it!

Hope to see you onboard Feb/March oneidealvacation... We should be able to make better plans nearer the time.

Looking forward to it!

HI all!

I saw too on USA Today that Globus is using Cristal, strange eh?

Here's the link:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2015/07/16/cuba-cruise-haimark-globus/30228849/

All this new business is making me so glad we went when we did!

I wonder how the repairs on Cristal are coming along, anybody know if it's sailing again?

Chimo!

...I wonder how the repairs on Cristal are coming along, anybody know if it's sailing again?

Chimo!

Jo I found this on the net;

Celestyal Crystal, which suffered damage to her bow following a collision with product tanker STI Pimlico off Gallipoli on June 27 is now in Perama, Greece undergoing repairs to ‘superficial damages’ informs Celestyal Cruises.

The diver’s official report confirmed there was no damage to the underwater areas of the vessel affecting her seaworthiness so the ship departed from Turkey following clearance from class society DVN GL and the local authorities.

The repairs will take around five days to complete according to Celestyal.

Celestyal Crystal is due to resumed scheduled itineraries on July 13, starting with a four day Idyllic cruise ex Lavrion.

She should be on the water now.

Chimo

Ron

oneidealvacation

Thank you for all that useful information. It certainly sounds as though it will be a full ship on all sailings.

Those prices for the US certainly sound ridiculous - do they include flights or a programme of trips/activities though?

It is not quite beach weather in our part of England, but for short periods and on some days, a sheltered part of the garden allows us to lie in the sun!

Enjoy the summer,

Barbara

Edited by tring