My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

When we were staying at our favourite Casa Particular in Old Havana post cruise, there was a young couple there whose father and uncle were staying in the Nacional. The father said that while the public areas were quite grand, their room was quite dismal. He was hoping that after their journey around the island, they could also stay in the Casa, which he found to be more comfortable and welcoming. That says a lot, especially considering that he paid about 10 times what we did.

To our way of thinking, staying with a local family is almost always more pleasant than staying in a hotel. It is the best possible way to get to know a country. You might not always like what you see, but it will be an educational experience.

Your first learning experience in Cuba is to see how they put up with shortages. These experiences make us feel grateful for what we have, impressed by how resourceful the Cubans are and how they help each other out (when we had car trouble, many strangers stopped to offer help) and many times we had to laugh at some of the solutions to these shortages.

I highly recommend the Casas Particulares for anyone going early, but there is no need to stay in a hotel for the ship's overnighter. You can't beat the location of the dock.

I agree about the ship location. It's wonderful to already be right down town in the harbor. Why pay more when you have a floating hotel?

Found out yesterday that a friend of my Mom and mine has booked onto the February 8 cruise. She and her DH have been to Cuba many times, but always the same area and are looking forward to seeing more.

Last season when we sailed the repositioning of the Crystal from Greece to Cuba, the cruise included the Cuban itinerary and terminated at Havana. This season the cruise which sails this coming Friday will, according to their schedule, terminate at Montego Bay. It would appear therefore that anyone aboard wanting to visit Cuba would have had to book a separate and additional cruise. Can anyone confirm this please?

I don't watch the tv show Madame Secretary, but our friend said that the show took place in Havana last week. I'm going to look online for it.

Today I was watching the tv show Uncommon Grounds and he was in Cuba. He met up with Les Stroud, the star of Survivorman, who was scouting for his own show. Les is Canadian and has traveled to Cuba before a few times.

Edited by KandCsailing

Hi all!

Ron ~ that's strange the TA is ending at Montego Bay as I could swear that it was ending in Havana when I saw the itinerary earlier. Wonder why the change?:confused:

Kerri ~ I don't watch either of those shows but am always interested in seeing shows about Cuba. Neat that somebody else you know is taking the Cuba cruise.

Have a great week.

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi all!

Ron ~ that's strange the TA is ending at Montego Bay as I could swear that it was ending in Havana when I saw the itinerary earlier. Wonder why the change?:confused:

Kerri ~ I don't watch either of those shows but am always interested in seeing shows about Cuba. Neat that somebody else you know is taking the Cuba cruise.

Have a great week.

I think sometimes different sites will list a back to back as one cruise (in this case, maybe adding the 1/2 Cruise to Havana?).

The site for the repositioning states;

Enjoy an incredible Transatlantic cruise to some of the most iconic ports in the world finishing in Havana! Your Transatlantic cruise leaves November 27th and for 21 breathtaking days you will visit Italy, Spain, Morocco, Portugal, Barbados, St. Lucia, Jamaica and Cuba!

However the itinerary shows the final day as this;

Friday 18/12/2015 Montego Bay, Jamaica Arriving 8:00am

then showing a departure time of 10:00pm with no mention of any further ports

Edited by ONT-CA

Ah, the penny dropped. I have been reminded that last year, the onboard charges for the repositioning cruise were charged in Euros (even though we were advised they would be in Canadian). When we arrived at Montego Bay and the passengers for the first Cuba Cruise of the season embarked to join us, they were very unhappy to learn that they too had to pay onboard charges in Euros until the ship reached Havana. All such charges were applied in Canadian dollars thereafter.

So this season's crossing must be terminating at Montego Bay only as it pertains to Euro currency, the U.S. dollar being applied thereafter for both the ongoing passengers as well as those commencing the season's first Cuba Cruise.

Edited by ONT-CA

HI all!

Ron ~ aha, so that's it!:D

I finally got around to reading my "International Travel News" magazine from Sept & there was quite a bit in it about Americans travelling to Cuba on the cruise, mostly as regards insurance & People to People general licenses.

Here's a little from their website in case anybody's interested:

www.intltravelnews.com/2015/09/heading-cuba-cruise-ship

I also Googled Dugald Wells & see he was the co-founder & Past President of Cuba Cruise from July 2011 to May 2015. Does that mean there's no more Alberta beef I wonder? :confused:

Chimo!

Well Jo, I think we are in for more surprises this season. This will be the last of the three year contract Cuba Cruise signed with Louis Cruise Lines to charter the Crystal. As we understand, Louis had to be brought into the adventure to keep it solvent but then they in turn created the subsidiary, Celestyal Cruise Lines, and registered the vessel to Cyprus rather than Greece. Save for the few of us who managed to obtain Canadian pricing, their conversion to the US dollar, British pound and Euro may well be the least of many changes to come. The 2016/2017 season under the total control of Celestyl (and we have previously touched on the subject of their managerial style) is bound to be a whole new experience. Should be interesting.

Chimo

Edited by ONT-CA

The Cuba Cruise site indicates that this season's excursions included in the price of the fare are all city tours. Assuming we can purchase individual tours while aboard the Crystal, we are disappointed at the loss of the excursion to Trinidad from the port of Cienfuego. We regret not having taken this one in previous cruises for it lends itself to those of us who have some difficulty walking. The long bus ride would have been a great way to see the countryside and the habitats along the way even if the purpose is to tour the final destination of Trinidad. I am sure there will be tours being offered by car by the locals but as the time required to make the trip and return is the full day and as the ship's sailing is 3:00pm there just isn't enough time. A ship's excursion

guarantees the ship will not leave without you. (well almost).

Chimo

Edited by ONT-CA

HI all!

Ron ~ oh that's too bad they're not offering the Trinidad trip. Actually, IMO the excursions that went from Antilla were some of the best. The countryside was so beautiful on the way to Holguin & you know how interesting Antilla itself was. I wasn't that impressed with Trinidad preferring Cienfuegos to it.

Maybe they're offering mostly city tours to keep it educational for the Americans who it seems are not to be wandering around by themselves if I understood the ITN article correctly.

Anyhow, it is what it is & soon you'll find out the differences.;)

Jo, you will remember how we entered the beautiful port of Cienfuegos early in the morning and didn't sail away until well after dark. (That in itself was a navigational treat on each of our visits). Well, this year we sail out of the harbour buy 3:00pm. Likewise, the departure from the port of Santiago De Cuba is equally early. In fact, we will spend a longer day at the beach than we will in these two wonderful cities. It is hard to understand just why this change in itinerary but it has been suggested that the more time we spend on board the higher their revenues...

Chimo

Jo, you will remember how we entered the beautiful port of Cienfuegos early in the morning and didn't sail away until well after dark. (That in itself was a navigational treat on each of our visits). Well, this year we sail out of the harbour buy 3:00pm. Likewise, the departure from the port of Santiago De Cuba is equally early. In fact, we will spend a longer day at the beach than we will in these two wonderful cities. It is hard to understand just why this change in itinerary but it has been suggested that the more time we spend on board the higher their revenues...

Chimo

Another issue may be that there are more ships this year and maybe higher charges by the ports - it's all a money thing, I'm sure.

Just an FYI - the details for the "American" excursions indicate some free time. I'm trying to "go-with-the-flow" as one of those pesky Americans, but the attitudes here by those of you lucky ones that have been able to go before are starting to make me feel pretty unwelcome. Just saying.

... Just an FYI - the details for the "American" excursions indicate some free time. I'm trying to "go-with-the-flow" as one of those pesky Americans, but the attitudes here by those of you lucky ones that have been able to go before are starting to make me feel pretty unwelcome. Just saying.

I am truly sorry to hear you say that for our intent is to verbally pave the way for anyone who has not as yet experienced the wonderful welcome you are about to receive in Cuba. They have been waiting for you for over 50 years. But we understand you will not have as much free time as others and if there is information we can offer that will maximize your experience ashore we gladly offer it.

Edited by ONT-CA

I am truly sorry to hear you say that for our intent is to verbally pave the way for anyone who has not as yet experienced the wonderful welcome you are about to receive in Cuba. They have been waiting for you for over 50 years. But we understand you will not have as much free time as others and if there is information we can offer that will maximize your experience ashore we gladly offer it.

Thank you - that is what I enjoy about Cruise Critic. I do think the rather major change this year is due to the focus on Americans by the Cuba Cruise program. We are very independent travelers, so this rather mandated excursion program will be a challenge for us and if we are not "released" to do our own thing a bit, it will be frustrating. Trying to just go with the program and enjoy this glimpse of Cuba before American big business gets there. Thanks for your reply.

I was looking up to see what the moon phase will be during my trip and came across this blog that has some interesting links, stats and news stories on lots of topics. I havn't scraped the surface yet, but thought I'd share the link for others, who like me, can't get enough information prior to a trip. I'm sure some of you already have seen this. :)

http://cubantriangle.blogspot.ca/2013/03/full-moon-bay.html

Many tourists arriving in Cuba for the first time might have the impression that they are part of a new groundbreaking adventure. But as of November 16, Cuba had already received three million visitors for the year 2015.

http://en.granma.cu/tourism/2015-11-17/three-million-foreign-visitors-arrive-to-cuba

Edited by ONT-CA

HI all!

Ron ~ oh that's too bad about the shorter times in port.

My favourite sail in was to Santiago de Cuba, followed by Havana.. Interesting link, thanks.

kahtrav ~ sorry if anything I said made you feel unwelcome.:o

That probably is the reason for the shorter port times, $$$.

I just discovered your blog & look forward to reading it again after your Cuba cruise.

Bryna123 ~ lots of information there for those of you going on the cruise this season.:D

I was wondering if those United Buddy Bears are still in the square across the street from the Havana terminal. You couldn't get much closer to the sights than from that dock.

Chimo!

I was wondering if those United Buddy Bears are still in the square across the street from the Havana terminal. You couldn't get much closer to the sights than from that dock.

Hi Jo.

Looks like the Buddy Bears left Havana on March 2nd and went to Santiago De Chile from April to June. Don't see where they are now, if they are still travelling.

We're on the 15 Jan sailing. First time to Cuba. I was wondering if someone has information about getting to Tropicana during our Havana overnight. How far from the ship? Do you need advance reservations? Does the ship help arrange your excursion? Is it worth the trip? Thanks to all in advance. Marcia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're on the 15 Jan sailing. First time to Cuba. I was wondering if someone has information about getting to Tropicana during our Havana overnight. How far from the ship? Do you need advance reservations? Does the ship help arrange your excursion? Is it worth the trip? Thanks to all in advance. Marcia

The ship offered an excursion last season, so they may do so again.

To some, going to Havana and not taking in the Tropicana is tantamount to traveling to Rome and not seeing the Vatican. If your trip to Havana is a one-off and you are unlikely to return, then you should take it all in. I guess you could say that you can go home with the cash you saved by not attending or you can take home the vivid memories of this extravaganza representing the bygone days of the mafia when money bought anything.

It is located about 15 kms from the dock, an easy cab ride. But getting a cab back to the ship could be problematic as the show lets out. Check with the desk on the ship, for if there is not a planned excursion (and as I remember, that was very expensive) they can at least advise you as to your best course of action.

I should have mentioned that for a point of reference, last year's Tropicana Package was listed at $136. per person which included transportation to and from the venue, entrance to the show, a welcome drink of one quarter-size bottle of Havana Club rum with mix, some snacks and being assigned a "preferential" table. There is a dress code in that men are to wear long pants. No children under the age of 16 are permitted.

Edited by ONT-CA

Hi all!

We did the Tropicana excursion the first season & enjoyed it. Not being adventurous I thought it best to go with them as I couldn't imagine getting a taxi back after the show when sailaway was imminent.

Did you see this about balconies being added to Crystal?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6685

I can't even imagine that!

Chimo!