My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

There's a posting on other site by aCruiseCritic member with a balcony that might help

http://mezo.me/news/news/celestyal-crystal-cruise-review-by-sparra77-amazing-cruise?uid=210584

Excerpt:

Cuba was beautiful and our excursions were well worth the money, which were included. The tour guides were fabulous also . Overall the whole cruise was well worth the money and so glad we chose this Christmas vacation. Everyone in our group had a truly fabulous time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

From the Celestyal web site Jan. 25 "**Celestyal Crystal shall not be calling at Punta Frances from 25th January, 2017 until further notice. Celestyal Cruises is working closely with the authorities in Cuba to resolve the issue. In the circumstances, Celestyal Cruises shall be offering a 50 USD$ per person credit against each passenger’s shipboard account (no cash alternative is being offered in relation to this gesture) and has made all arrangements to extend your stay in Havana on Tuesday until 22.00 hrs (instead of 17.00hrs) to allow you additional time to explore the beauties of Havana. In addition, we are offering a 10% discount on all future cruises booked on any CELESTYAL vessel and valid for cruises until the end of year 2018 (such discount is not applicable to taxes and gratuities). "

... In the circumstances, Celestyal Cruises shall be offering a 50 USD$ per person credit against each passenger’s shipboard account (no cash alternative is being offered in relation to this gesture) and has made all arrangements to extend your stay in Havana on Tuesday until 22.00 hrs (instead of 17.00hrs) to allow you additional time to explore the beauties of Havana.]

With the fare pricing arrangement this year, whereby the gratuities could be prepaid, the beverage bill is prepaid and tours are prepaid it seems like one might have to use a little ingenuity in finding a way to spend this credit. Especially those of us doing a back to back...but we'll manage.

The cruise line has a you tube that shows the various cabins in detail. Balconies start towards the end - about at the 12 minute + mark.

Click this link and a you tube app will appear.

Belated thank you for this. I see there will be straight back chairs only. But I was hoping that someone who has had the suite might tell us that we might request a lounge chair. We'll know in a few days and will report when we can.

I was thinking the same thing re: figuring out how to spend it on board, ONT-CA. LOL. Guess the line is at least making a nice gesture, though.

Also, thanks for sharing that new info, riverclub.

Edited by mlbcruiser

With the fare pricing arrangement this year, whereby the gratuities could be prepaid, the beverage bill is prepaid and tours are prepaid it seems like one might have to use a little ingenuity in finding a way to spend this credit. Especially those of us doing a back to back...but we'll manage.

Internet minutes, laundry services (my cruise is in the middle of a 6 week trip so I will definitely need these!), room service, spa services.

I don't think $50 will go very far, lol

Internet minutes, laundry services (my cruise is in the middle of a 6 week trip so I will definitely need these!), room service, spa services.

I don't think $50 will go very far, lol

And the gift shop!!! Also medical services, if there is need.

It is funny how, with all the cruiselines that are now stopping in Havana, there is still no other itinerary that compares with the wonderful one we enjoyed a couple of years ago.

And the gift shop!!! Also medical services, if there is need.

It is funny how, with all the cruiselines that are now stopping in Havana, there is still no other itinerary that compares with the wonderful one we enjoyed a couple of years ago.

Fingers crossed we won't need the medical services!

What was your itinerary burm?

What was your itinerary burm?

Cienfuegos, Santiago, Antilla, Punta Frances, Ocho Rios. Did I miss anything Ron?

This itinerary gave us a really nice overview of the island. From Antilla, we were able to visit the lovely estate where Castro grew up and learn a lot about his earlier life. In Santiago we got to visit the cemetery where he is now buried. From Cienfuegos, we visited lovely Trinidad. Each port was very special in it's own way. Cuba is so different from the rest of the Caribbean.

The week we spent in a private home in Havana pre cruise was fascinating, as was the additional week we spent at a second location post cruise. We felt like we were following in the footsteps of Castro, from birth, to revolution, to death.

You would have to go back to the earliest posts in this thread to see what our experience was like. Definitely not your typical cruise. People like Ron and Jo, who were there from the very beginning, were kind of like Cuban Cruise Pioneers. :)

I was thinking the same thing re: figuring out how to spend it on board, ONT-CA. LOL. Guess the line is at least making a nice gesture, though.

Also, thanks for sharing that new info, riverclub.

On the Crystal now. Get off in the morning.

They have a very good Spa. That's where we used our OBC

Carol

That sounds like a great itinerary burm. We picked this cruise because of the number of ports it had in Cuba. I don’t think $50 really compensates for losing one, but not much we can do.

My sister and I have some extra time in Cuba too, one night before and then 10 days afterwards to go on a tour. We’re going to Trinidad via Santa Clara, Cienfuegos, Vinales via Bay of Pigs and then back to Havana. I’m really looking forward to it all!

That sounds like a great itinerary burm. We picked this cruise because of the number of ports it had in Cuba. I don’t think $50 really compensates for losing one, but not much we can do.

My sister and I have some extra time in Cuba too, one night before and then 10 days afterwards to go on a tour. We’re going to Trinidad via Santa Clara, Cienfuegos, Vinales via Bay of Pigs and then back to Havana. I’m really looking forward to it all!

Sorry, I was thinking that Celestyal had dropped more ports. Most of the other lines only go to Havana, and that is a shame.

It is great that you will have extra land time in Cuba to see more. Cuba is such a unique and fascinating place. Even the "warts" are interesting if you view them with an open mind. I am hoping to go again in April with my SIL, who has only stayed in resorts there and would like to spend some time with me in private homes.

Sorry, I was thinking that Celestyal had dropped more ports. Most of the other lines only go to Havana, and that is a shame.

It is great that you will have extra land time in Cuba to see more. Cuba is such a unique and fascinating place. Even the "warts" are interesting if you view them with an open mind. I am hoping to go again in April with my SIL, who has only stayed in resorts there and would like to spend some time with me in private homes.

They have dropped Antilla and Punta Frances since you did your cruise. The only ports in Cuba now are Havana, Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba.

I won't really miss the beach stop at Punta Frances (not my thing) but my sister would have loved it!

Some info thanks. What was the evening activity like in Havana?

We did the Tropicana show. It was amazing. Our best time in Havana was when we rented one of the old cars and driver. Took us to parts of the city we didn't see on the tours. Had a great lunch overlooking the city and harbor.

HI all!

So nice to read of the Cuba cruise & know people are still enjoying it. That 1st year it was like having your own private yacht, so few people trying it.

Ron ~ when are you heading back down please?

burm ~ oh that'll be lovely you sharing the experience with your DSIL. You get so much more out of it when you know the language.

kc20202 ~ that sounds like a lovely tour you have planned. I really loved VInales so much we almost decided to go back there to an AI. I'm not a beach fan either but that Punta Frances stop was beautiful & gave people who were a chance for a relaxing day in paradise.

Have a great weekend. No Cuba for us this year, we're going to Panama.

~ Jo ~ :)

Yes, Vinales is a lovely area. At lunch time, our guide pulled up to what looked like a fairly dumpy house. We walked around to the back and sat on a lovely patio with a magnificent view of the mogotes. Our excellent lobster lunch with pina colada cost $10 PP. With all our car problems, that was an unusual and most memorable day.

That was also the day I rode Tomas, the huge bull, with no one leading us. LOL I am so glad DH took a video. :)

Any of you recently returning from this cruise, please share your experience.

Also we are considering doing the optional excursion to the Vinales on the second Havana day.

Maybe we should spend the second day in Havana??? Thoughts anyone please.

I would love to have any thoughts from people experiencing this or the area. The following is the description of the day tour.

Viñales – Living inside a Farm for the day

This fantastic excursion takes you deep into the magical Viñales Valley for a deep draught of the real Cuba. We’ll visit an authentic tobacco farm, stop for photos at a prehistoric mural and sail down a subterranean river.

We depart from Havana and after a 2 hour drive we reach Viñales Valley. On the way, we will stop at Los Jazmines so as to admire the amazing view and take pictures! Then, we will visit the Indian Cave and live the breathtaking experience of a trip down the subterranean river.

But our excursion doesn’t stop there. After a panoramic tour on Viñales village we will visit the tobacco fields’ and Eduardo’s farm that is located in the heart of the region. Eduardo possesses a diverse amount of plantations such as tobacco, mango, guava, pineapple, rice, coffee and citrus. We will be hosted at a typical restaurant created by his family where we will enjoy our lunch and drinks. Before we depart to Havana at 16:00, we will not miss the opportunity to take pictures of the Prehistorical Mural.

Port:

Havana

Type of Tour:

Country Experience

What to Bring:

Camera, Bottled Water

What to Wear:

Casual clothes, boots

Important Information:

Monday 10am Tuesday 7am Duration: Approximately 8 hours

If this will leave you with only one day in Havana, I would recommend staying in Havana. If you are doing Havana pre or post cruise, this might be worth doing.

We loved Havana and had 4 days pre cruise and one day post cruise. A total of 5 days and still left lots to see for next time!

If this will leave you with only one day in Havana, I would recommend staying in Havana. If you are doing Havana pre or post cruise, this might be worth doing.

We loved Havana and had 4 days pre cruise and one day post cruise. A total of 5 days and still left lots to see for next time!

Thanks, I am thinking we will stay in Havana. I just thought we will very likely be in Havana again but maybe not have the chance to see the Vinales area. Husband is very into agriculture. If we knew for sure this so called farm is the real deal and an actual tobacco farm and you would get a good tour of the process we would want to do it.

The tour description sounds like you are doing a bunch of other things and not really a day on the farm.