My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Hi all!

Janet ~ I'm waiting for a refund for my 2 cancelled shore excursions but have to deal through my TA with Air Transat. I emailed them & she called but at busy times which this is, the response could take a month or more.

Adding to my problem is I never received a doctor's bill to send with the other forms. Did you go to the doctor & if so, did you receive a bill?

Good luck in getting this resolved.

BTW just over 2 months until my visit to your beautiful part of England. How's the weather & what's blooming if you don't mind saying please?

Ron ~ never give up!! Hope you get your money back soon!

Chimo!

~ Jo ~ :)

ps I saw some comments from Chris, the U.S. Cruise Critic person on the cruise but can't remember where!:o

HI:

is not a second ship of Cuba Cruise, is competency. It will be the Thomson Dream, I haven´t confirmed but the route it will be Habana-Montego Bay- Georgetown- Santiago de Cuba- Holguin-Habana. ;)

What I'm seeing for the Thomson Dream 2015-16 is a 7-night Montego Bay roundtrip with an overnight in Havana and calls in George Town, Cayman Islands and Playa del Carmen, Mexico. If this is accurate, I wouldn't consider this to be competition for Cuba Cruise.

What I'm seeing for the Thomson Dream 2015-16 is a 7-night Montego Bay roundtrip with an overnight in Havana and calls in George Town, Cayman Islands and Playa del Carmen, Mexico. If this is accurate, I wouldn't consider this to be competition for Cuba Cruise.

With the Cuba Cruise overnight in Havana, minus a beach day, minus a day at sea, minus Montego Bay, not much of a Cuba Cruise left is there?

Hi again!

I found that article from Chris I was mentionning:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2015/03/30/10-things-americans-should-know-about-cruising-to-cuba/

oneideal ~ that cruise is no competition for Cristal for sure but the one mj mentionned sure would be. The ships seem similar both older with not many balconies.

I liked a couple of the other cruises they offered with stops in Panama & Cartagena, a place we missed on our Panama Canal cruise as they were having trouble at the time.

Chimo!

Jo, I neither noted nor shared in any hostility towards Americans while aboard, did you? The author of the subject critique said;

"The majority of Cubans are extremely poor, and now that their country has opened some avenues for private enterprise, the people deserve a chance to share their culture with the world, America included. Poverty isn’t quaint; it’s sad."

The Cuban people have always deserved a chance to share their culture with the world and have done so with we Canadians and others for over 50 years. And during that period we have always understood the causes of such poverty in Cuba. I'm afraid that exhibiting an Iwo Jima mentality in the anticipated return of unbridled tourism in today's Cuba will obviously yield a very big disappointment.

Edited by ONT-CA

Hi all!

Ron ~ I never was part of, or witnessed any anti American feelings.

We had a group of Roads Scholars plus a couple from this thread, same as last year.

Chris ~ a very good blog of how you see Cuba & a great guide for Americans.

Will you be writing a review or blog about your experiences in the ports etc?

That made me tear up thinking about the Cubans eager to talk about their relatives in the States.

Talking about reviews, 3 more have been published, mine included.

Here's the link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=774

I have to agree with one of the other people. We also asked to be seated with English speakers but that didn't always happen. Luckily DH speaks German & the French Canadians always speak to us in English as do Europeans who can.:o

Chimo!

Edited by retiring soon
forgot something

HI again!

Ron ~ Las Tunas sounds like a great place & seems close to Holguin for the shore excursions. As scammy as Santiago is it does seem well regarded by the Cubans & does have quite a bit to offer.

burm ~ it was actually Ron who mentionned the possibility of a 2nd ship on page 97, post 1931.

Here is the latest review from TA:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k6858809-o100-Louis_Cristal_Cuba_Cruise-Cruises.html#65378859

The native part of the Cuba Life excursion might be considered hokey but the rest of it wasn't. The tour was quite varied, the food good & the countryside lovely.

ElandMar ~ was there another ship with you at Punta Frances? Both times we were there we had to share.:(

Chimo

We were quite alone on the beach at Punta Frances. I collected conch shells and sea urchins and smuggled them back to the ship! I loved it and had to be almost dragged out of the blissful warm water by my better half because the last tender was calling the reluctant stragglers to come back to the ship! There was nothing there but sugary sand and warm shallow water and a view of the ship tendered off shore. I don't know what the new beach will be like ....perhaps even better

Regards Ellie

Hi all, Thanks for your advice.

Jo, retiring soon.

No we didn't go to the doctor and it is now 4 weeks since I sent off the claim so I'm still hoping.

The weather is about 51F but dry with a cold wind. The daffodils and Camellias are now in full bloom and the countryside is looking beautiful. In May the Azaleas will be in full flower and in June the wild flowers will be lovely and the late flowering Rhododendrons will still be showing some colour plus the roses will be blooming.

Are you coming to Cornwall on a coach tour?

ONT-CA cool cruiser

Thanks for your help and I will contact Julia Freeman.

If you are still having problems with British Airways I suggest you contact the People's Champions at the Daily Mail or the Mail on Sunday Newspaper. They are very good at holding firms to account and sorting out problems.

Tony Hazell: asktoney@dailmail.co.uk

tony.hetherington@mailonsunday.co.uk

Send them details of your problem together with any relevant paperwork plus your name, postal address and telephone number and a separate note addressed to British Airways giving them permission to talk to either Tony Hazell or Tony Hetherington.

Best of luck

Janet

ElandMar- I could almost feel the warmth of the sun on my back from your eloquent description of the warm waters and sandy beach. Such pristine sand and vital tranquility is a gift to us from Mother Earth. And that of course is my point. It can be found in many many locales in the Caribbean and in many parts of the earth. But my question is, was it Cuba? The opportunity given us to visit this wonderful island can be misappropriated in enjoyable diversions unrelated to the purpose of the cruise. There are many thousands of beaches in this world to be visited and enjoyed but only one Cuba.

Oldgables- Thank you for your information and assistance in helping us to obtain our rightful claim. I have to wonder at times as to who might read our postings because not six hours after making our case public, we received an email promising us a swift and full settlement of our claim.

There are many thousands of beaches in this world to be visited and enjoyed but only one Cuba.
Guess I'm just greedy and don't know I shouldn't enjoy both on vacation, but I also don't do land vacations at a beach for a week like a lot of people or live by a beach.

Hi again!

Ellie ~ you were lucky to get the whole beach to yourself as both times another ship was there with us. We had to keep left when coming ashore & they went right.:(

It is such a beautiful beach & I think a beach is part of the Cuban experience. It sure has some beautiful ones & people have been going there for years to enjoy them.

Janet ~ thanks so much for the description of the flowers, I can just imagine them! :DYes, I'm taking a Dacey's Cornish Tour in early June so hope to see lots of flowers. Quite a few of the stops seem to be at gardens so that should be lovely.

Do you watch "Doc Martin"? I read that they're currently taping the next season. The opening scene from the show is what got me interested in going there as it looks so beautiful.

Chimo.

Guess I'm just greedy and don't know I shouldn't enjoy both on vacation, but I also don't do land vacations at a beach for a week like a lot of people or live by a beach.

My point certainly was directed towards you but rather the proposed itinerary for the 2016 Cuba Cruise. Beaches are everywhere, Cuban ports are becoming scarce.

Just read the comments by the Cruise Critic editor. The daily lectures on Cuba, and meet and mingle with the crew sounds very interesting to us. Does anyone know if they are purely for US passengers, or could a couple of Brits turn up? That could partly make up for the change in itinerary from our point of view.

Regarding Thomson Dream, I have found the itinerary, which is as stated previously and it is not a regular weekly itinerary either from what I can make out. Thomson did do a round Cuba cruise from Havanna a couple of years ago, but they have since stopped doing land holidays to Cuba now, so flights from the UK would have to be to Jamaica, hence the cruise embarking there. Only Thomas Cook now run flights to Cuba from the UK as far as I know.

Thomson Dream would have been a complete no starter for us as we could not have visited Cuba as a land base at the same time and hotel holidays in Jamaica are both very expensive and restricted to all inclusive resorts, which are not really our thing. We are spending 10 days of our one month in Cuba at an AI in Varadero though, as a chance to crash out and also travel a bit more from there.

The new beach location sounds fairly remote, even though it is basically a hotel, so we are thinking we may be able to walk along the beach to somewhere less touristy. Just a thought and do not know if it will be possible.

Barbara

Edited by tring

HI all!

Barbara ~ you can ask them about the lectures, it's worth a try!

I just looked in the "lonely planet Cuba" book (p 191) & the new beach seems great for diving. Also sounds like there's more wildlife in the area, maybe Iguanas & Turtles & a Biosphere Reserve close by. I think I read the road isn't too bad & car rental is available

Thanks for the Thomson info. They have 3 cruises I might be interested in especially if we can get a package deal like we had with Air Transat .

Have a nice weekend & 2Q==

TO CORRECT ERROR IN POST

My point certainly was NOT directed towards you but rather the proposed itinerary for the 2016 Cuba Cruise. Beaches are everywhere, Cuban ports are becoming scarce.

HI all!

Barbara ~ you can ask them about the lectures, it's worth a try!

I just looked in the "lonely planet Cuba" book (p 191) & the new beach seems great for diving. Also sounds like there's more wildlife in the area, maybe Iguanas & Turtles & a Biosphere Reserve close by. I think I read the road isn't too bad & car rental is available

Thanks for the Thomson info. They have 3 cruises I might be interested in especially if we can get a package deal like we had with Air Transat .

Have a nice weekend & 2Q==

Thanks for the reply, Jo. I assume the lectures are a part of the US deal then. Perhaps they would let us into the lectures, even if not the meet and mingle, so we will keep aware when onboard to see if we can get any info. Then again it is a short cruise with only one sea day, so we may just decide to relax.

We have only been on a Thomson ship once for a very short mini cruise, but I am pretty sure they just fill up the ship from their UK passengers booking as cruise only or with flight included, or as a cruise and stay - the latter being quite popular with the 1 week cruises, so people can do a 2 week hol. I doubt they would be selling through a company from another country, unless that company could do a 'tailor made' itinerary. Also, Air Transat has connections with Thomas Cook who are the other main package supplier in the UK (i.e. the opposition). Perhaps no harm in asking though. I have put a link below to the UK Thompson (TUI) website, where they sell the cruises - you may be able to book cruise only from there.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise.html

On reflection we are not all that bothered about not going to the Holguin area as it is somewhere we can get a cheap package to at a later date, (probably for 3 weeks), so we could do as many trips as we like from there. The other venues for the Cuba Cruise are not so easily visited.

Edited by tring

I have just discovered that Swan Hellenic have a cruise visiting Cuba next March, with 2 days in Havanna and a day in Antilla. They did market in Canada when we last travelled with them.

http://www.swanhellenic.com/cruise-itinerary.html?&cruiseid=18881&gclid=CKrTsaTV2sQCFYHKtAodABYARA

As a cruise company they are quite different from the bulk of cruise lines. You will find largely upmarket, (and more intellectual), British people onboard. They do not have photographers or shows, like other companies, but have accademic speakers of a high calibre, giving lectures about the countries visited and perhaps a botanist or other biological discipline etc. The trips and tips are included, so the prices are not as bad as all that if you go for one of the cheaper cabins. I think that itinerary must have just been released, but the cheaper cabins will likely sell very quickly. Do not consider going for too far back on a lower deck though, as the vibration could be bad. We have travelled in a cabin on the lowest deck, just a couple of cabins to the rear of the reception position onboard and it was OK. Evening entertainment will be more lightheated speakers/personalities and some light classical music - perhaps a jazz group - but will finish early (about 11.30pm). The prices on the link I have given you will include flights from the UK, but they do sell cruise only and not sure what they do from Canada, if at all. Their included trips are very good, so you would not need to use the trips that are charged extra for. Can be a bit of a tiring holiday if you go on a full complement of trips and attend all the lectures, so you would probably miss out on some lectures, (all repeated on the TV's though).

That is a cruise that would definately have interested us, but again we would not have been able to spend an extended time in Cuba as the cruise does not start or finish there.

ElandMar- I could almost feel the warmth of the sun on my back from your eloquent description of the warm waters and sandy beach. Such pristine sand and vital tranquility is a gift to us from Mother Earth. And that of course is my point. It can be found in many many locales in the Caribbean and in many parts of the earth. But my question is, was it Cuba? The opportunity given us to visit this wonderful island can be misappropriated in enjoyable diversions unrelated to the purpose of the cruise. There are many thousands of beaches in this world to be visited and enjoyed but only one Cuba.

Oldgables- Thank you for your information and assistance in helping us to obtain our rightful claim. I have to wonder at times as to who might read our postings because not six hours after making our case public, we received an email promising us a swift and full settlement of our claim.

the beach was idyllic and the weather was perfect. Unfortunately as we know on a previous resort trip to Cuba (which I hated .. never go to Iberostar Laguna Azul if your life depends on it), the weather is not always perfect. If the weather had been cool or raining when we docked at Punta Frances it would have been a washout .. in more ways than one! Another port instead of a beach day would be fine with me. At least if the weather isn't great its still possible to enjoy a Port day. I would be thrilled to cruise again to Cuba and including or excluding a beach day would not put me off.

Hi again!

Barbara ~ thanks for all that info about other cruises stopping in Cuba. The Swan Hellenic won't work as I have a cruise booked in April & don't like to do them too close as usually I'm recovering from something!:o

Sunwing here in Canada was offering a package on the Thomson cruises this year so hopefully will next year too. The problem is going to be to get DH to go on another cruise as I think he'd prefer a land trip after 2 cruises whereas I would cruise more often.

I think the Americans are supposed to attend the lectures to qualify for the educational certificate they're travelling with if I understand it correctly.

I wonder why the cute little Happy Easter graphic I pasted didn't work.:confused:

Chimo!

... I would be thrilled to cruise again to Cuba and including or excluding a beach day would not put me off.

The itinerary of the Cuba Cruise need not be without a time out for the beach. By going into Google maps and zooming in on Antilla, Santiago de Cuba and Cienfuegos, there are beaches to be had in each location. That is the beauty of Cuba, there is bound to be a beach nearby somewhere. So if a port city is not to one's interest then there is always the beach not far away. The key of course is choice and that is what was missing with Punta Francis

Just read the comments by the Cruise Critic editor. The daily lectures on Cuba, and meet and mingle with the crew sounds very interesting to us. Does anyone know if they are purely for US passengers, or could a couple of Brits turn up?

The lectures are held in the main theater/show room and are meant for all passengers (and listed in the daily newsletter). The two q & a sessions with the crew were private events for the U.S. passengers, but the door was open the whole time and no one was checking attendance. This time around, at least, they were held in the Horizons lounge on Deck 10 on Sunday (the beach day) and Tuesday (sea day) at 5:30. I did find the q & a sessions to be pretty interesting.

I have read a couple of reviews on Facebook that Chris wrote, about Americans to Cuba but I have not read the actual review (stupid me can't seem to find it). I would be very interested to find out what she actually thought and read the review ... is it possible for somebody to post me a link to it. Please and thank you .. Ellie

oneidealvacation thanks for the info on talks.

ElandMar - the link I used was in a previous post here, regarding 10 things americans should know about Cuba - she does say there is a second installment to come.

Retiring soon - Enjoy whatever holiday you do next, whatever that is. Must admit, having returned from a norhtern lights and solar eclipse cruise quite ill and after a number of problems onboard, cruises are not high on my list for future hols. We did see both the total eclipse and northern lights though, so that is two boxes ticked.

Looking at one of the new reviews, I note someone said that they had to leave all luggage at the dock, including carry ons, when they arrived to embark the Louis Crystal. I find it very worrying as we will have valubles and breakables in our hand luggage (e.g. documents, cameras, computer things etc) and last time we were in Cuba some people were reporting on trip advisor that things even went missing from their hotel safe. Do you really have to leave all luggage on the keyside?

Also, is there a safe in the cabins and, if so, how big is it? As we are going for a month long tailor made holiday, we will have all sorts of travel documents and vouchers for flights, hotels, transfers etc. with us.

Edited by tring

I haven't read the luggage review you mentioned, but we only left our large suitcase on the pier. We carried our two rolling carry-ons up the staircase since they weren't to heavy instead of waiting for the elevator.

Safe was at least the same size as other ships.

We didn't bother to rent it and nothing went missing. I just left everything extra in my top bedside drawer under some other stuff.